Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
I agree with next to zero percent of his decision to go to the KHL over staying with the Moose. The financial reasons are legitimate, but if the kid wants to play in the show, why the **** would he consciously choose not to play in a big role in the AHL, being the first call-up and developing on smaller ice close to the organisation?

The only way to avoid even more broken-ness was to skip the WJC, which would have been yet another opportunity to showcase his talent to the NHL. Doesn't look like somebody who puts himself in places to succeed.

I don't get the money reasoning though. Had he stayed with moose he would've most likely been called up at some point and got the 10 games so that the elc doesn't slide. Now if he develops the way I'd assume (and he himself for sure assumes) he's gonna get 2-3 mil/yr minimum deal when he enters rfa. So he wins like 200k this season but gets at least 1-2mil less on his last elc year where he could've already been rfa.

The only reason I think is that he rather plays at a league where winning the cup actually means something and thinks he can develop just as good over there. He has always been a guy who likes to do things his way. But we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Best case scenario for him though is that he blows up in khl, comes back to winnipeg when khl season ends, jets go all the way to sc finals, people have to miss games because of injuries so he gets a shot, plays great and gets those remaining five games anyways and elc doesn't slide

Reactions: FinJetster

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Evgenii Dadanov. What game are we playing?
He was stating how the KHL was superior because the players made much better money. Nigel Dawes, in his prime, may have made the top 10 in AHL scoring in a given year. In his mid-30’s, with no NHL interest, he leads the KHL in scoring. Not saying the KHL is shit, but calling it superior to the AHL is a stretch.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't get the money reasoning though. Had he stayed with moose he would've most likely been called up at some point and got the 10 games so that the elc doesn't slide. Now if he develops the way I'd assume (and he himself for sure assumes) he's gonna get 2-3 mil/yr minimum deal when he enters rfa. So he wins like 200k this season but gets at least 1-2mil less on his last elc year where he could've already been rfa.

The only reason I think is that he rather plays at a league where winning the cup actually means something and thinks he can develop just as good over there. He has always been a guy who likes to do things his way. But we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Best case scenario for him though is that he blows up in khl, comes back to winnipeg when khl season ends, jets go all the way to sc finals, people have to miss games because of injuries so he gets a shot, plays great and gets those remaining five games anyways and elc doesn't slide
You might be right.

However, I believe there is a rule which is concerned with naming your call-ups for the playoffs in advance. Furthermore, I recall that you can't recall guys outside of the ones who you have named. (CBA enthusiasts, help me out here.)

If my memory serves and that rule is a thing, the Jets' staff might not be too on board with the idea of welcoming Vesalainen - who isn't part of the JETS' system at that point - with open arms.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

Best case scenario for the Jets is that he blows up in the KHL and we can trade him for a legit top 4 D prospect. We are stacked in our top 6. I'd rather have a great D to go with our great forwards. Another bottom 6 player doesn't help nearly as much.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I agree with next to zero percent of his decision to go to the KHL over staying with the Moose. The financial reasons are legitimate, but if the kid wants to play in the show, why the **** would he consciously choose not to play in a big role in the AHL, being the first call-up and developing on smaller ice close to the organisation?

The only way to avoid even more broken-ness was to skip the WJC, which would have been yet another opportunity to showcase his talent to the NHL. Doesn't look like somebody who puts himself in places to succeed.

He's signed onto an NHL ELC already. I don't think a junior showcase tournament is a priority at that point.

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
You might be right.

However, I believe there is a rule which is concerned with naming your call-ups for the playoffs in advance. Furthermore, I recall that you can't recall guys outside of the ones who you have named. (CBA enthusiasts, help me out here.)

If my memory serves and that rule is a thing, the Jets' staff might not be too on board with the idea of welcoming Vesalainen - who isn't part of the JETS' system at that point - with open arms.

Yeah didn't mean it like it would be very likely, but khl playoffs end when it's like mid first round in nhl. But even then I doubt they name him a call-up unless he somehow for the rest of the season murders it to a degree where they simply can not not name him. Would have to show something really special to get ahead of the local call-up options and would also need to be very vocal about wanting to join.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Rob Vollman/Hockey Abstract publishes translation factors every year between other leagues and the NHL. The KHL is far superior to the AHL.

The difference between the KHL and the AHL is greater than the difference between the AHL and Major Junior hockey.

Reactions: SLAYER

abax44

Jan 22, 2005
I wouldn't be too sure about him being a bottom sixer next year. If he works his ass off this year and develops properly he should have a pretty good chance at a top6 position. I'm sure his skillset will be more valuable to the Jets than Ehlers eventually. I think Ehlers is more fit to play a 3rd line rather than top6 because I feel his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet.

KV will usurp Ehlers by next season? He better be waaayyyyy better next season than he looked this season, otherwise he won't even be on the team... again.

Reactions: 1OApick

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wouldn't be too sure about him being a bottom sixer next year. If he works his ass off this year and develops properly he should have a pretty good chance at a top6 position. I'm sure his skillset will be more valuable to the Jets than Ehlers eventually. I think Ehlers is more fit to play a 3rd line rather than top6 because I feel his brain doesn't always keep up with his feet.

So is this the same 3rd line Ehlers that hit the 60 point plateau as a 20 year old and a 21 year old?

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Rob Vollman/Hockey Abstract publishes translation factors every year between other leagues and the NHL. The KHL is far superior to the AHL.

The difference between the KHL and the AHL is greater than the difference between the AHL and Major Junior hockey.

It would be interesting to see where the World Junior tournament ranks on that list.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Disappointing him not going to the WJC, surprised though that Finnish posters here are not more upset about this.

Reactions: irunthepeg

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Disappointing him not going to the WJC, surprised though that Finnish posters here are not more upset about this.

More interested in possibly seeing him with the national hockey team. His skill and experience level is beyond that of WJC competitions, at this point.

Reactions: Ippenator

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He was stating how the KHL was superior because the players made much better money. Nigel Dawes, in his prime, may have made the top 10 in AHL scoring in a given year. In his mid-30’s, with no NHL interest, he leads the KHL in scoring. Not saying the KHL is ****, but calling it superior to the AHL is a stretch.

Is this a joke post? I dislike the KHL but doubting if it’s better than the AHL must be a joke, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
Best case scenario for the Jets is that he blows up in the KHL and we can trade him for a legit top 4 D prospect. We are stacked in our top 6. I'd rather have a great D to go with our great forwards. Another bottom 6 player doesn't help nearly as much.
Best case scenario is that he turns into a another top six stud winger for the jets on a three years elc. We can grow our own top four d.

Reactions: surixon

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Best case scenario is that he turns into a another top six stud winger for the jets on a three years elc. We can grow our own top four d.
Problem is you can only play so many players at one time. He can't play center so that's out. In the best case scenario in my head Wheeler doesn't regress to much. Then he's not beating out Ehlers, Connor or Laine. We can have extra top 6 players on other lines but really other lines are not getting the minutes and we really need an improvement over Chariot. Niku has not shown that yet and that is the best case scenario for 2 players instead of just trading Ves for a Valimaki.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Pyy83

Jan 12, 2012
First, this season leaving AHL to play at KHL was a weird move IMO. Then not going to the WJC, he feels superior to the other players of same age. Additionally he did burn bridges also as a younger man when returned to Finland from Sweden, blamed the Swedish team Frölunda (there is article/interview about this in finnish language [Pikkuleijonien maalitykki lataa suorat sanat ruotsalaisseurastaan: ”Siinä touhussa ei ollut mitään järkeä”], apparently did not like how he was treated, does not have anything positive to say about the team etc).

Quite a few red flags in my opinion, this young man seems to be quite the smug. Looks like can play pretty well and has huge confidence on his play.

Reactions: Tommigun

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
Trading him for a solid defensive asset would be interesting to see because our top6 is already stacked. But his ELC will become vital for Jets once Connor's and Laine's new contracts kick in. At some point someone has to go, we just can't handle all the money on our forwards (especially wingers).

How usual it is to see pure wingers turn in to centers after draft age? I'd imagine pretty rare, but imo Vesalainen has all the tools to become a Getzlaf style of power forward center if he keeps developing as he has. Of course it's a reach but having even one center besides all our promising wingers would become so valuable.

Reactions: Tommigun

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

KV has zero chance of bumping Ehlers down in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad