Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Tbh the only way I see Vesalainen playing in the Jets even in the future is if one of the other young guys gets traded for cap reasons. There's just no room unfortunately, and all the vets have NMC's or NTC's (depending on the contract year).

That being said, he hasn't looked out of place in his first KHL game.

Reactions: Robinson2187

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Tbh the only way I see Vesalainen playing in the Jets even in the future is if one of the other young guys gets traded for cap reasons. There's just no room unfortunately, and all the vets have NMC's or NTC's (depending on the contract year).

Vesalainen should replace Perreault, Petan or Lemieux, players currently in the Jets line up, next year. Maybe even Copp or Tanev.

He would likely start in the top 9, but could move up the lineup with injuries.

He’s cheaper and will be better than many of the players I mentioned, in a short period of time.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Jets aren't going to be able to keep all current players indefinitely. ELCs are going to be the lifeblood of the Jets going forward. Especially on the wing.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
When I read the translated version from Finnish language website It refers to him as “water” or sometime “submarine”. Anyone who knows Finn explain that?

Lapukka

Nov 25, 2018
When I read the translated version from Finnish language website It refers to him as “water” or sometime “submarine”. Anyone who knows Finn explain that?

...the google (?) translate might think Vesalainen is misspelt. (Vesa)Laine(n) = wave Vedenalainen = submarine Vesi = water

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Links to the article please.

There's probably variation in the inflected forms his name is used in the original article and the translator acts up. "Vedenalainen" ('underwater') would be the closest 'real' word. "Vesa" is sapling, "vesi" is water, "-lainen" is a long-form "-nen" referring to him being "of sapling" or somesuch but you won't find the word in a dictionary.

Last edited:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
He'd be on the 4th line next year. Won't play on the Lowry line and there's too much competition for top 6.

Don't see why not. If Lowry's line is going to get big minutes then we should look at upgrading his wings. Starting with Copp.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
God I wish he played Center(and do so good and effectively), we really don’t need a Left Wing(or Right Wing with Wheelers extension) and this kid has Star potential...

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
We might. Frenchy is likely gone this offseason.

Vesalainen had one of the best U19 Liiga seasons ever, he was at a PPG in the AHL(sample size of less than 10 games though), he has allot more potential that being a 4th liner gather 12~ minutes per game his entire career. But that’s just my opinion.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I like the idea of having a more talented third line (since Maurice does not play the 4th line anyway).

Vesalainen - Lowry - Roslovic

Reactions: Bob E and GGSmitty

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I like the idea of having a more talented third line (since Maurice does not play the 4th line anyway).

Vesalainen - Lowry - Roslovic
I like this as well.

KV and Roslo are strong defensively and can contribute offensively. With the speed of these two young players, they would be able to shut down any line and not be a black hole offensively.

27-55-26
81-18-29
93-17-28

Offers a very formidable top 9.

With some combination of Copp, Petan, Appleton and Lemieux being an inexpensive 4th line.

I like having a more productive 4th line too, and would add a cheap effective vet over some of the options on 4th line.

I also think Gustafson can be a decent 4th line C, that wins face offs and kills penalties. I agree, with Maurice’s tendencies, a 4th line likely wouldn’t get much ice time anyway.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
As long as KV is playing at a high level somewhere, with lots of ice time, that's good. Niku is way better off on the Moose, because he is first or second in line to play when he gets called up; KV probably is 3rd or 4th in line. I'd rather see him on the Moose, just for comparison sake, but it doesn't really matter at this point, he wasn't going to play in the NHL this year.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
First game for Vesalainen in Jokerit that I was able to watch today and he was alright, nothing too special but certainly did some right things and looked comfortable out there. Set up his linemate with a great crisp pass in the first that almost resulted to a goal, shot some heavy shots in the powerplay and made a great power move that resulted to a rebound goal (ended up being disallowed due to goalie interference)

I'd say he played the game like was expected. Strong on the boards, good with the puck. Hopefully he gets a shot with PP1. Jokerit had 1.30 on 5-on-3 powerplay but Vesalainen wasn't on the ice.

Reactions: JetsUK

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
First game for Vesalainen in Jokerit that I was able to watch today and he was alright, nothing too special but certainly did some right things and looked comfortable out there. Set up his linemate with a great crisp pass in the first that almost resulted to a goal, shot some heavy shots in the powerplay and made a great power move that resulted to a rebound goal (ended up being disallowed due to goalie interference)

I'd say he played the game like was expected. Strong on the boards, good with the puck. Hopefully he gets a shot with PP1. Jokerit had 1.30 on 5-on-3 powerplay but Vesalainen wasn't on the ice.
I kinda hate how Jokerit are rolling 4 lines right now and Vesalainen is getting like 13 mins of icetime. It will get higher with time, but it's annoying.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Vesalainen had one of the best U19 Liiga seasons ever, he was at a PPG in the AHL(sample size of less than 10 games though), he has allot more potential that being a 4th liner gather 12~ minutes per game his entire career. But that’s just my opinion.
his points in the AHL are a little deceiving. he got his first 4 points by being right place right time. he wasnt dominant by any stretch

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad