Player Discussion: Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
When it comes to player's development towards becoming an NHL player, "better league" isn't necessarily best option. AHL style and rink size would work better when it comes to adjustment. He goes from playing in a smaller rink and adapting to it, faster play and more physicality to better competition but bigger rinks, slower play and less physicality.
A player is either good enough to become an NHL player or they're not. Or do you actually think that legit NHL careers have been lost because someone did not choose to go to the AHL?

Ar home would be HIFK, but I digress.
Last i checked Vesalainen was from Helsinki and Jokerit are a team based in Helsinki

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
A player is either good enough to become an NHL player or they're not. Or do you actually think that legit NHL careers have been lost because someone did not choose to go to the AHL?

Last i checked Vesalainen was from Helsinki and Jokerit are a team based in Helsinki

YEs. More than a few of the 60's born Finnish hockey "legends" and stars of the national team in the 90's have said that they had interest from NHL but didn't want to play in AHL at the time and that was it and I think Mika Nieminen even regrets not taking the chance.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Played for HIFK in juniors. Though considering how often he changes team, it's becoming harder to say where his home is. :laugh:

Reactions: Tiedmen

wtdfxup

Oct 25, 2014
Let me just add to this convo. Someone, said earlier.
"a couple of injuries,and he'll get called back"
I highly doubt it. When he was called up from the Moose,for a couple of days,it wasn't for playing time. The Jets,wanted to tell him who's boss,and going to Finland,wouldn't help his cause to get called up to the big daddy club.
He has now made his bed,and he will have to lay in it for the rest of this season and maybe more. I think, I can safely say,"Mr. Vesalainen, WILL NOT be in Jets uniform this season......unless there are a TON of injuries.
Also, now with the news that Marko Dano has been reclaimed on waivers,he will be recalled way before Vesa, will be.
I hope for his sake,he really tears it up in the KHL, and he makes it very difficult for the Jets to write him off for this season. But, I doubt it.

Reactions: paragon

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
Vesalainen showed plenty of talent playing in Liga last season, he'll continue to develop in the K. The Jets coaches had a quarter of a season to stress what he needs to develop, that's more than they would have with any player who goes back to juniors. A lot of European posters would argue that he's better off in Jokerit. I think there's an argument for either, but realistically it's more important for the player to be happy and comfortable in their situation.

I'd probably prefer he was in the AHL because there is more supervision of his development, same system as the Jets, can be called up, etc. but it is far from a big issue.
Yah, I guess give him a shot next year again and if he's ready for NHL action/ level, great. If not quite yet, then you prime hom in the AHL. Not every 1st round pick is ready by year 2 at only 19 years old, and from europe no less.
He is probably somewhat homesick still and benefit personally one more year there.

Reactions: ps241

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018

Yep.

paragon

May 5, 2010
He is probably somewhat homesick still and benefit personally one more year there.
I doubt it. We are talking about a guy who willingly left to play in Sweden. Most likely he just didn't want to ride the bus for a season. Next year he will have one more season under his belt which will make it easier for him to stick with the Jets. Niku has proven that it doesn't really matter how well you play in the AHL. If your team has veteran players signed it is hard to get a break. Especially considering next season Jets will have to pay for Laine, Connor and Trouba which makes his it more likely the Jets will trade a guy like Perreault and ELC guys have better chance to crack the line up.

Reactions: FinJetster

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Said that he didn't think the AHL was too challenging. This guy certainly has no shortage of confidence:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Niku has a Europe out clause. He is making the right move staying, if he has confidence in his abilities he knows he is 1-2 injuries or bad forms away from getting a chance to prove himself in the NHL and becoming a regular.
Now hopefully Mo makes right move by playing him.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Niku has a Europe out clause. He is making the right move staying, if he has confidence in his abilities he knows he is 1-2 injuries or bad forms away from getting a chance to prove himself in the NHL and becoming a regular.
In Niku's case the clause if probably for the case that if the doors to NHL don't seem to be opening in the year three, he can leave to seek employment in Europe instead of bussing around in NHL with $70k salary for the whole season.

He does have a "performance bonus" of $60k for the final year, which I educately guess is actually a Games Played bonus that gets paid if he plays 10+ or so games in the NHL. He also doesn't have a Signing Bonus for the final year which he could cash before ditching to Europe for good. All in all it looks like Niku and the Jets organization both know the deal here. He won't be a career AHLer.

Caveat: I was wrong about KVes.

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Jokerit is playing Dinamo Moscow atm, though Vesalainen is not on the lineup since there's some paperwork issue that isn't resolved yet. At least that's my understanding of the current situation.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jokerit is playing Dinamo Moscow atm, though Vesalainen is not on the lineup since there's some paperwork issue that isn't resolved yet. At least that's my understanding of the current situation.
Hope he gets in soon. Kid needs to play.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
It’s insane that Niku isn’t playing on the Moose right now. Can’t sit the guy for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad