Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Willing to bet Dubas wasn't in favor of trading a handful of prospects for Grabner. Even though Verhaeghe was the only quality player of the bunch. Seems like a Babcock and lou move
if I remember correctly, that move was to dump a bunch of contracts that was clogging up the system, those weren't quality prospects anyway but you never know. We needed to free up contract spots.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I think they put Kerfoot at centre for his speed once the puck dropped. To expect Thornton or Spezza to perform the 2-way coverage of a centre at their age is not fair to them. You could adjust the lines and let Spezza and Thornton flip back to the bottom 2 lines depending on how they are feeling. Their age does play a factor in how they are used late in games. Once we get closer to playoffs you'll have the top 2 lines playing much more, reducing their time, but they proved they can be effective with lower TOI.

Simmonds Matthews. Nylander
Galchenyuk. Tavares. Marner
Hyman. Thornton Mikheyev
Kerfoot. Spezza Engvall

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can someone please explain to me, why people are [Mod] obsessed enough with Kadri to not understand that nearly a decade of Run ins with management and being called immature by management don’t get you shipped out for whatever return is possible?
Calgary and Colorado disagree.

Reactions: Koolboss

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The big thing is salary. Kadri is a great deal for a 2nd line center as long as you're willing to live with his bit of a SNL Superstar mentality and all that comes with it.
Kerfoot is simply a better 3rd line center, with more defense, blocked shots, more hits, zone coverage, penalty-killing. Offensively there's three 5-on-5 points separating them.
To me, Kadri is strictly a 2nd line center where Kerfoot is a hybrid of a 2nd-3rd line player. 3rd line center? Kerfoot is the winner. IMHO, if there's player v.s. player debate
it would be comparing Tavares v.s. Kadri.
There is a certain role you wish your 3rd line center could fill that neither Kadri or Kerfoot bring to the table however. A really good 3rd line center should make the opposition think about retiring from the game. There won't be any fun for them. No scoring. Taking a physical toil, without getting a chance to get on the power-play. If you do get a power-play, they shut it down. Emotionally, leaving you uninspired, sap any emotion or confidence. ...scoring is a secondary concern.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
IMHO this is cult level Dubas-can-do-no-wrong realm. Let me guess: whenever the Leafs lose or show flaws it's because of a previous general manager named Lou?

What does it have to do with dubas?

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yeah. The Kadri deal still leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. We NEVER should have dealt him and the excuse of suspensions were not enough to diminish his full value.

Just a REALLLLLLY bad move.
That move just ruined this organization for good, considering the return and JT signing

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
What does it have to do with dubas?

The theme of this thread is about possible improvements to the team. Specifically trying to acquire a 3rd line C. I think you believe that Dubas' architecture is just fine. Am I wrong?

It has to do with Dubas when it comes to trades, team building, the draft, contracts, etc.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If a trade isn't there, how about just promoting Spezza? 5-on-5 scoring has been an issue and he's been one of the Leafs' best recently on only 10 minutes/night.

Kerfoot-Spezza-Mikheyev
Thornton-Engvall-Simmonds

This assumes Hyman is put back in the top 6, still works if not but not sure who gets the spot on the Matthews line (Simmonds can't be the answer long-term). Have Engvall rotate in 2-3 shifts/game on the 3rd line to keep Spezza's ice time under 12 minutes or so (if he can do 10 minutes/game I doubt he's gasping for O2 those last couple).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The theme of this thread is about possible improvements to the team. Specifically trying to acquire a 3rd line C. I think you believe that Dubas' architecture is just fine. Am I wrong?

It has to do with Dubas when it comes to trades, team building, the draft, contracts, etc.

Our 3C and 4C are good at their jobs.

If we're adding forwards, I think a top 6 winger is clearly a bigger need than a bottom 6 center. Not that our wingers aren't already good.

Like I said my main worry with the architecture of this team is the #1G spot.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

The feeling is Dubas is perfect and has never made a mistake because he wears glasses.

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I promise you I didn't create this thread to talk about the Kadri trade.

We'll see soon what Dubas thinks is best as insurance for this team. We might all be pleasantly surprised...

Nik Petan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Slot by slot

#1C - excellent
#2C - excellent
#3C - good
#4F - very good

#1W - excellent
#2W - excellent
#3W - excellent
#4W - poor
#5W - good
#6W - good
#7W - good
#8W - good

#1D - very good
#2D - excellent
#3D - excellent
#4D - very good
#5D - very good
#6D - good

#1G - poor
#2G - very good

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
i'd focus on a top 4 D like David Savard people are going to disagree but if you do you aren't looking at it the right way, the reality of the situation is this.

Rielly goes down You're f***ed

Muzzin goes down You're f***ed that's been proven.

Brodie goes down You're f***ed.

Holl goes down You're a little less f***ed but you probably lose the next round

Ekholm, Savard, Hammer in Arizona, Ryan Murray getting one of these guys protect against that
Dangle, that you ?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
There’s no doubt that a guy like Versteeg is connected. When did he start going public with his thoughts?

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Nope didn't even know he said it, but if he did he's right, if the Leafs suffer one injury to the top 4, they are f***ed, they MIGHT get away with Holl but then they lose the next round, you bring in Ekholm or Savard or Hammer or Murray that's not a problem
Lol it’s just the way you said it is exactly how he did.. lol.. also completely agree.. I think adding Ekholm might even make as one of the best dcore in the league.

Eklholm-Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Reilly - Bogo (Still utilize Reilly 20 min a night in more offensive leverage situations)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nope didn't even know he said it, but if he did he's right, if the Leafs suffer one injury to the top 4, they are f***ed, they MIGHT get away with Holl but then they lose the next round, you bring in Ekholm or Savard or Hammer or Murray that's not a problem

Not sure any team in the league has better talent to step up in case of injury than Dermott Sandin Liljegren.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad