Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Today's "Leafs Hour" podcast.

Around the 8 min. mark of the podcast.

Leafs Hour - Sportsnet.ca

"The Leafs are a very good team. I think they need a 3rd line Center..."

I don't to quote every part of the podcast. It's worth a listen because they cover many topics: Campbell, JT, Nylander, Kerfoot, Glendening, etc.

Versteeg was very critical of what Toronto currently has at 3C: Engvall and sometimes Kerfoot. Engvall is getting minimal minutes and Hyman/Mikheyev need someone better.

It's hard to disagree. I know some fans will not like to read this, but it's Hyman that is the juice on the 3rd line. It's not so much beautiful chemistry with Engvall/Mikheyev.

What do you think?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was not impressed with Engvall and Kerfoot as our bottom 2Cs last night. I would be less impressed with Engvall and Spezza or Thornton.

At the end of the day, how many upgrades can Dubas possibly do by the TDL ? I'd be happy if he acquires the rumoured top 6 forward and a botton pair dman.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
Maybe, but it wasn't Eric Staal. Engvall does a lot of the right things that contribute to the line effectively. Engvall with a 55% FO% and 35-40 PT production would be perfect, but idk if he himself will get there.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
I always wanted to know. Why was he moved when he was a Leaf? He put up decent numbers no?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hes been saying it for weeks. Then Mr "I'll do anything" Dubas watches Staal walk to the Habs for a 3rd and 5th f****in rounder.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He's not wrong. Engvall is a stop gap at best.

What do you expect when you have half your cap in 4 players? I don't know what quality 3rd line C we can get long term if you want to pay Hyman and then Rielly in a year. All you can get is stop gaps. I think that's the reality.

Reactions: egd27

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I was not impressed with Engvall and Kerfoot as our bottom 2Cs last night. I would be less impressed with Engvall and Spezza or Thornton.

At the end of the day, how many upgrades can Dubas possibly do by the TDL ? I'd be happy if he acquires the rumoured top 6 forward and a botton pair dman.
Well be prepared to be sad. lol

Reactions: ToneDog

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Agreed, Kerfoot would be below average for a cup champion. Engvall would probably be the worst in NHL history.
  • Point, Cirelli, Gourde
  • O'Reilly, Schenn, Bozak
  • Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Eller
  • Crosby, Malkin, Bonino
  • Crosby, Malkin, Bonino
  • Toews, Richard, Vermette
  • Kopitar, Carter, Stoll
  • Toews, Handzus, Bolland
  • Kopitar, Richards, Stoll
  • Krejci, Bergeron, Kelly
  • Toews, Sharp, Bolland
  • Crosby, Malkin, Staal
  • Datsyuk/Zetterberg, Filppula, Draper
  • McDonald, Getzlaf, Pahlsson
  • Brind'Amour, Staal, Weight

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Kadri says Hi. :laugh:

Kadri as a 3rd line center didn't work. I hoped he could. But his impact wasn't nearly the same as in a 2nd line role. And if not mistaken, he's playing 2C in Colorado, not 3C. That's Compher isn't it? And isn't Compher regarded (i.e. the fans)as being as useful to the Avs as Kerfoot has been to Toronto?

I'm of the side that didn't believe his behaviour merited being traded. But it is what it is. Kadri may turn out to be a very good 3c in a couple of years when his game requires refocus. But if the selection is/was Tavares or Kadri (salaries notwithstanding), the sound bet is on JT.

Of former (recent) Leafs, Bozak is/was a better fit for that 3C position.

Not sure who we should target (Carl Soderberg?) but have to think there's a player out there worth a 4th round pick (e.g. 3rd + 5th for Staal) that could fit the need for a run. Maybe a player like Bennett?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I always wanted to know. Why was he moved when he was a Leaf? He put up decent numbers no?

I'm assuming you are asking about Kadri? He was moved as a result of running out of chances with management. He had run in's with nearly every coach, he had internal suspensions, and Shanahan personally called him out for a lack of maturity. This was even before the playoff suspensions. He created a situation where he had to be moved. We got the best price we could, for a publicly known damaged asset. People seem to ignore this on a regular basis though.

Mar 26, 2010
Kadri as a 3rd line center didn't work. I hoped he could. But his impact wasn't nearly the same as in a 2nd line role. And if not mistaken, he's playing 2C in Colorado, not 3C. That's Compher isn't it? And isn't Compher regarded (i.e. the fans)as being as useful to the Avs as Kerfoot has been to Toronto?

I'm of the side that didn't believe his behaviour merited being traded. But it is what it is. Kadri may turn out to be a very good 3c in a couple of years when his game requires refocus. But if the selection is/was Tavares or Kadri (salaries notwithstanding), the sound bet is on JT.

Of former (recent) Leafs, Bozak is/was a better fit for that 3C position.

Not sure who we should target (Carl Soderberg?) but have to think there's a player out there worth a 4th round pick (e.g. 3rd + 5th for Staal) that could fit the need for a run. Maybe a player like Bennett?
I am not crazy about Bennet, and I believe the price for Toronto to acquire him from Calgary would be higher than any other team. Calgary will charge Toronto a premium.

I am not sure who would be the ideal target for Dubas here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00