Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Is Kerfoot that versatile though? He's fast and that's about it. Carter has a ring or two, has size, and has more offense to his game. I haven't checked but he used to be a pretty good penalty killer too.

Yeah he is. And he's producing more 5v5 than Carter this season while playing 2 minutes less a game. I won't comment on +/-. I get that Carter has the rings, but we have other guys with them too. I'd rather go after someone else.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
He was traded for cap purposes and to move from a position of strength to pickup a d man, the position of weakness. Obviously never worked that well, but the logic made sense
He was making 4.5 with 3 years left , cap reasons my hairy white behind . We sent him with ELC Rosen for Barrie @5.5 and Kerplunk @ 3.5 so we not only lost the skill side of the deal we lost about 3 million on the money side .,and now we are left with just Kerplunk . Cap reasons riiiight can I interest you in some land in the Florida Keys ?

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He was making 4.5 with 3 years left , cap reasons my hairy white behind . We sent him with ELC Rosen for Barrie @5.5 and Kerplunk @ 3.5 so we not only lost the skill side of the deal we lost about 3 million on the money side .,and now we are left with just Kerplunk . Cap reasons riiiight can I interest you in some land in the Florida Keys ?

Barrie was not at 5.5 considering Colorado retained 50%

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

How do we afford Brodie if Kadri is signed?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah he is. And he's producing more 5v5 than Carter this season while playing 2 minutes less a game. I won't comment on +/-. I get that Carter has the rings, but we have other guys with them too. I'd rather go after someone else.
I'd be interested to see Carter in the same position as Kerfoot, on the third line playing against 3rd pairing dmen. Theres a lot less depth in LA.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'd be interested to see Carter in the same position as Kerfoot, on the third line playing against 3rd pairing dmen. Theres a lot less depth in LA.

But why not go after a top6 LW with some sandpaper instead? Don't we need that (much) more? Or even an upgrade on Dermott? A backup for Campbell? I cannot see how 3C is our problem spot right now

Reactions: LeafsRus

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
But why not go after a top6 LW with some sandpaper instead? Don't we need that (much) more? Or even an upgrade on Dermott? A backup for Campbell? I cannot see how 3C is our problem spot right now
He plays mostly wing now as far as I know. Guys like Engvall need to be pushed down to the 4th line.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s my opinion that in order to win a cup, the third line needs to win a series that’s tight, and the starting goaltender needs to steal a game a series. The top 2 lines are good, but they won last night because of depth scoring.

I think that's a fair comment. That's one reason to be concerned that the Top 4 are using so much of the cap.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
maybe some confusion about team building.
players with less than 2 years experience aren't expected to be finished products.

Veteran versteeg was a huge flop in Toronto and time hasn't made him any better.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Who cares what Versteeg or the media say? They are always trying to socially engineer bad trades for us. Is this team a mediocre center away from a cup? No! Put Thornton or Spezza in. Screw Granlund.

Reactions: Popeye7735

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
there are some really Pro-Dubas fans here that will back anything Dubas has done, they even claimed sparks was good up until the very end

I will defend Dubas on Sparks, he made the right decision at the time on who to keep, it just turned out to be the wrong decision in hindsight. Much like the Kadri trade, except that trade ended up righting itself since we got Brodie in free agency and wouldn't have been able to with Kadri's extra million against the cap.

Reactions: Auston 316

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
I'm assuming you are asking about Kadri? He was moved as a result of running out of chances with management. He had run in's with nearly every coach, he had internal suspensions, and Shanahan personally called him out for a lack of maturity. This was even before the playoff suspensions. He created a situation where he had to be moved. We got the best price we could, for a publicly known damaged asset. People seem to ignore this on a regular basis though.
No Versteeg.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
For anyone questioning his information or suggestions, they may want to reconsider.

Very connected and well respected among many teams and circles within the league, and would imagine he gets a lot passed his way.

This is a guy I personally would listen to over any insider except about about two or three.

Of course everyone has hot takes and personal opinions on needs, but I wouldn't be sleeping on any of his suggestions.

Reactions: Korg and ACC1224

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
For anyone questioning his information or suggestions, they may want to reconsider.

Very connected and well respected among many teams and circles within the league, and would imagine he gets a lot passed his way.

This is a guy I personally would listen to over any insider except about about two or three.

Of course everyone has hot takes and personal opinions on needs, but I wouldn't be sleeping on any of his suggestions.

Hi5

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i'd focus on a top 4 D like David Savard people are going to disagree but if you do you aren't looking at it the right way, the reality of the situation is this.

Rielly goes down You're f***ed

Muzzin goes down You're f***ed that's been proven.

Brodie goes down You're f***ed.

Holl goes down You're a little less f***ed but you probably lose the next round

Ekholm, Savard, Hammer in Arizona, Ryan Murray getting one of these guys protect against that

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
I agree with him, it'll help overall scoring depth and most importantly pk. Someone like McCann comes to mind

I know everyone wants to say Kadri including me, but Imagine Verhaghe on this team now

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We do not have cap space to make any "significant" move. Dubas has seen to that.

With Keefe refusing to swap marner and nylander to spread out offense and get JT going

just hope JT-Nylander duo all of a sudden turn into solid offensive threat even strength and by that I mean getting goals NOT corsi or high danger BS

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad