Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Jenner's positioning and ability to play within a system is miles ahead of Kadri's. If Kadri's shadowing a line of Scrub-McDavid-Scrub, he can do a good job on him. If Edmonton loads up McDavid-Draisaitl on the same line, they're going to surgically pick Kadri apart easily when he overcommits to one of them. He doesn't have the skating or defensive awareness to do what we need from our 3C which is to play a quiet game against star players to open up soft offensive minutes for the top-6 and chip in on the PK.

For the record I'd take Jenner over Kerfoot, although I'd want to watch a few more games to be sure his skating is consistently good enough to do what we need him to.
Kadri is usually solid in a matchup situation. Not sure what you mean about over committing - he isn’t going to defend them one on two. He can shadow his check and frustrate them more often than not.

Jenner is a massive upgrade over Kerfoot.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And who do you think our 3rd line is right now?
I don’t think Keefe even knows. He’s tried several different combinations and hasn’t found one he likes from what I see.

Pretty sure it was Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman last night although I wasn’t paying close attention as I usually do. Whatever it was, I know what Kerfoot and Engvall are, and neither are good enough.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Funny thing is that Kadri actually gets more sheltered usage on Colorado even though he's "second line center".
Regardless, I don’t think there’s any debate who the better player is, even if the puck has gone in on one more than the other this year.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Kadri is usually solid in a matchup situation. Not sure what you mean about over committing - he isn’t going to defend them one on two. He can shadow his check and frustrate them more often than not.

Again, he gets scored on more than Kerfoot despite playing weaker competition with 55% offensive zone starts. He's not good at playing preventative zone defense like you need to against a line where all 3 members are smarter and faster than him, he doesn't have the skating or IQ for it. Even if he sacrifices his positioning to take himself and the other center out of the play, Marchand/Pasta are happy to take that trade along with the extra space in the offensive zone it opens up.

Kerfoot's not ideal but he's better suited for doing the specific job we need him to do. If we needed an all-around offensive top-6er and PP presence, obviously Kadri would be better.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Again, he gets scored on more than Kerfoot despite playing weaker competition with 55% offensive zone starts. He's not good at playing preventative zone defense like you need to against a line where all 3 members are smarter and faster than him, he doesn't have the skating or IQ for it. Even if he sacrifices his positioning to take himself and the other center out of the play, Marchand/Pasta are happy to take that trade along with the extra space in the offensive zone it opens up.

Kerfoot's not ideal but he's better suited for doing the specific job we need him to do. If we needed an all-around offensive top-6er and PP presence, obviously Kadri would be better.
Again, I’m not suggesting Kadri is an elite defensive player, but he had his best years utilized as a matchup centre. Some of his most memorable performances came against elite centres including McDavid whose both faster and smarter. Not sure why you don’t put more value in a player that can not only keep Sidney Crosby off the board, but frustrate him into taking a dumb penalty.

Kerfoot is soft as butter and brings little more than speed to the table. He’s not a good 3rd line centre. He should be a 2C somewhere where he’s the 6th best top 6 forward. That would be more ideal than trying to be support when the Matthews and Tavares lines are off.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Regardless, I don’t think there’s any debate who the better player is, even if the puck has gone in on one more than the other this year.

Possibly.

But our team has lost nothing offensively with the swap, yet gained defensively.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yeah we have two of those 3rd lines right now.
I don’t agree, and I wouldn’t rely on many ‘blasts from the past’ from Spezza in the playoffs. They’d be great, but that’s not something I’m banking on.
Possibly.

But our team has lost nothing offensively with the swap, yet gained defensively.
Hard to say. A lot has changed, it’s not just 1 in and 1 out.

I found this team incredibly underwhelming in their most important 5 games of the year last year, and they haven’t really faced any top competition this year. They haven’t played a team that can dominate below the dots, which is who they typically struggle against.

I’d like to evaluate them against the top teams which unfortunately COVID division has prevented.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

I don't think the need for a Kadri over Kerfoot (especially on the Leafs) are going to show up anywhere on a stat sheet.

It was always about the game beneath the game... the hits, the frustration, getting underneath opponents skin, playing on the edge combined with the scoring threat he could bring. They went up against Boston, and gave Boston, who was largely a 1-line team, an impossible choice... face Matthews and hope that you beat him more than Tavares-Marner and Kadri's line beat you, face Tavares-Marner in a best-on-best matchup, while leaving the best goalscorer on the ice without Bergeron out there; or try and get into a physical battle with Kadri.

Kerfoot is a technically fine defensive centre, but he doesn't really do anything, and doesn't face the top matchups. In the playoffs, it seems likely they're going to run into the Jets and/or Habs, and they're going to need somebody who can frusturate a Schiefle or Dubois, or a real 3rd line scoring threat.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't think the need for a Kadri over Kerfoot (especially on the Leafs) are going to show up anywhere on a stat sheet.

It was always about the game beneath the game... the hits, the frustration, getting underneath opponents skin, playing on the edge combined with the scoring threat he could bring. They went up against Boston, and gave Boston, who was largely a 1-line team, an impossible choice... face Matthews and hope that you beat him more than Tavares-Marner and Kadri's line beat you, face Tavares-Marner in a best-on-best matchup, while leaving the best goalscorer on the ice without Bergeron out there; or try and get into a physical battle with Kadri.

Kerfoot is a technically fine defensive centre, but he doesn't really do anything, and doesn't face the top matchups. In the playoffs, it seems likely they're going to run into the Jets and/or Habs, and they're going to need somebody who can frusturate a Schiefle or Dubois, or a real 3rd line scoring threat.

Again Kerfoot isn't my first choice for the job, but if we're talking about getting minutes against Schief/Dubois and coming out roughly even then he's probably better at that job with the wingers he has than Kadri is, even if he agitates them less. I'd want Matthews going up against Kadri, he's much better when someone pisses him off, I think Dubois was similar in the Columbus series.

To me the risk/reward of Kadri's hits agitating someone into playing worse and/or riling our team up vs him getting suspended for the series isn't enough of a reason to care about the marginal upgrade he is on Kerfoot in terms of their purely on-ice results at 3C/PP.

Again, Kerfoot isn't my first choice for the job but he does mediocre enough at it to not care. I don't see a situation where Kadri over Kerfoot is the difference in a series in a positive way. Ideally I'd want someone who can create more offense than either of them in a 3rd line role.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He’s right. If we were able to get a Charlie Coyle type rental we would be looking very strong.

Reactions: ACC1224

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
it's funny people are still pimping Kerfoot while he gets kicked up and down the lineup due to Keefe trying top find a spot where he doesn't look useless

also funny some are still trying to say he's better than Kadri

the funniest thing however is Dubas has been trying to dump him since the offseason but no will take this overpaid stiff

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He’s right. If we were able to get a Charlie Coyle type rental we would be looking very strong.

Coyle's scoring at a 25pt pace and has by far the worst impact metrics of any bruin top9 forward.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Coyle's scoring at a 25pt pace and has by far the worst impact metrics of any bruin top9 forward.

No, like the version of Coyle the year the Bruins got him as a rental for Ryan Donato and a 4th and helped them to game 7 of the finals with a productive playoff.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
You made a typo but are you saying they should deal Kerfoot? I've actually found him pretty good on wing. He's been solid on the forecheck this season and has been noticeable battling for pucks in the corner. I think he could be missed if you get the wrong return.

If he went in a package to get Hall 50% retained I wouldn't be angry.

Who else did you have in mind to trade him for?
Have they tried Kerfoot with 34 and 16 (the M &M's)? And I am starting to like Engvall with Hyman and Soup. It appears to me it is confidence and the odd brain cramp, but he is growing into the role. I think I read somewhere he is at 55% on faceoffs. He can skate and is starting to grind. He is looking more and more comfortable. This line might suit his game.

The90

Feb 27, 2017

I would be pumped if he were able to squeeze Jenner. Big skating power forward who’s hard to play against, and a c. Checks both boxes.a very good fit for what the leafs lack.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm assuming you are asking about Kadri? He was moved as a result of running out of chances with management. He had run in's with nearly every coach, he had internal suspensions, and Shanahan personally called him out for a lack of maturity. This was even before the playoff suspensions. He created a situation where he had to be moved. We got the best price we could, for a publicly known damaged asset. People seem to ignore this on a regular basis though.
People also don't understand that it wasn't just the 2 suspensions against Boston but he also had his 2015/16 season cut short with a season ending suspension.
3 year enders in 4 years is likely to get you chased out of town.

But these facts don't matter in the face of hurt feelings.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Most recent cup-winning 3rd line centers

Y.Gourde 5'9" 170
T.Bozak 6'1" 195
L.Eller 6'2" 205
N.Bonino 6'1" 195
A.Shaw 5'11" 180

I've wondered if we could get Bozak with 50% retention, perhaps with salary going the other way? Maybe Engvall, if that would fit, or Kerfoot. However, Bozak's defensive game was pretty average when he was here and that may be a redundant move if anything else.

Quite honestly...I am satisfied with what we have. Would rather add without subtraction.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I've wondered if we could get Bozak with 50% retention, perhaps with salary going the other way? Maybe Engvall, if that would fit, or Kerfoot. However, Bozak's defensive game was pretty average when he was here and that may be a redundant move if anything else.

Quite honestly...I am satisfied with what we have. Would rather add without subtraction.

yeah no thanks to bozak.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
People also don't understand that it wasn't just the 2 suspensions against Boston but he also had his 2015/16 season cut short with a season ending suspension.
3 year enders in 4 years is likely to get you chased out of town.

But these facts don't matter in the face of hurt feelings.

From a pure assets management standpoint, I think the trade holds up. I don't think it was poor judgement at the time and the potential for success was certainly there (i.e. Barrie in Edmonton).Kadri's playoffs success wasn't foreseen.

But, I don't think the internal disciplinary element is as widely discussed (or known) as the disciplinary action received from the league. The distinction matters. Moreover when balanced against the (right) perception that there was a double-standard when playing Boston. It's understandable why some might be confused by the decision to move Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad