Sportsnet: Kris Versteeg says "Toronto needs to trade for a third line Center" (Said it 3 times!)

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lol it’s just the way you said it is exactly how he did.. lol.. also completely agree.. I think adding Ekholm might even make as one of the best dcore in the league.

Eklholm-Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Reilly - Bogo (Still utilize Reilly 20 min a night in more offensive leverage situations)
Leafs might be the team to really unlock Ekholm's offense.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not sure any team in the league has better talent to step up in case of injury than Dermott Sandin Liljegren.

Dermott has been screwing up A LOT lately and the other 2 have 39 NHL games combined and none this season

This is a go for it year so go for it, bring in some immediate help

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Name me the #5-8 dmen on TBay or COL or VGK.

I'm not talking about a #5-#8

I'm talking about a David Savard, Mathias Ekholm, Ryan Murray, someone that is top 4 caliber so that we aren't screwed in case of injury or suspension.

again this is a go for it year so go for it there is no such thing as to much depth or talent

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I think the Leafs have 3 players with no specific role or identity on the team. Kerfoot, Engvall and Dermott. If we can upgrade those guys I think this team will be extremely solid heading into the postseason.

forecheck

May 14, 2007
It funny how everyone wants this high end third line center ... don't forget the selfish contract seekers denied the ability to build a well rounded roster ... You cant pay out that amount of money to 3 fwds and expect to have a top end third line center at the same time !

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Today's "Leafs Hour" podcast.

Around the 8 min. mark of the podcast.

Leafs Hour - Sportsnet.ca

"The Leafs are a very good team. I think they need a 3rd line Center..."

I don't to quote every part of the podcast. It's worth a listen because they cover many topics: Campbell, JT, Nylander, Kerfoot, Glendening, etc.

Versteeg was very critical of what Toronto currently has at 3C: Engvall and sometimes Kerfoot. Engvall is getting minimal minutes and Hyman/Mikheyev need someone better.

It's hard to disagree. I know some fans will not like to read this, but it's Hyman that is the juice on the 3rd line. It's not so much beautiful chemistry with Engvall/Mikheyev.

What do you think?

If we can dump Kerfoot and not give up one of our top prospects(give up a puck or two then sure). The idea that Dubas is gonna mortgage the team for one run is just stupid.

We can’t afford to lose Holl in the expansion draft. We also are facing a cap crunch. We are also facing a real dilemma of our crease. Not a lot of good signs pointing to going all in.

Versteeg has as much pull as you are me talking to our buddies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Contender 3rd line Centers, last 2yrs, Even strength:

WSH L.Eller: 12:51, 16gl/36pt pace, 53.6xgf% (+2.7rel)
TOR A.Kerfoot: 12:18, 11gl/33pt pace, 50.9xgf% (-1.5rel)
NYI J.Pageau: 13:46, 19gl/33pt pace, 50.3xgf% (-0.4rel)
TBL Y.Gourde: 13:51, 14gl/31pt pace, 55.0xgf% (+1.0rel)
MTL N.Suzuki: 15:17, 9gl/31pt pace, 53.1xgf% (-1.4rel)
CAR J.Staal: 13:26, 9gl/30pt pace, 55.1xgf% (+1.8rel)
COL J.Compher: 10:51, 11gl/25pt pace, 52.6xgf% (-1.4rel)
EDM K.Turris: 10:27, 8gl/25pt pace, 46.4xgf% (-3.9rel)
WPG A.Lowry: 12:29, 10gl/24pt pace, 42.7xgf% (-1.7rel)
VGK C.Glass: 12:09, 5gl/14pt pace, 46.1xgf% (-7.0rel)

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If we can dump Kerfoot and not give up one of our top prospects(give up a puck or two then sure). The idea that Dubas is gonna mortgage the team for one run is just stupid.

We can’t afford to lose Holl in the expansion draft. We also are facing a cap crunch. We are also facing a real dilemma of our crease. Not a lot of good signs pointing to going all in.

Versteeg has as much pull as you are me talking to our buddies.

Did you listen to the podcast? He said that he's not an insider. He is an ex player offering constructive criticism.

Unless there is are wholesale changes in Toronto, every single year will be cap gymnastics.

At some point Toronto has to go for it. Tampa did so acquiring McDonough, Coleman, and Goodrow. Now is a good time.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Willing to bet Dubas wasn't in favor of trading a handful of prospects for Grabner. Even though Verhaeghe was the only quality player of the bunch. Seems like a Babcock and lou move

Oh yeah they were cleaning house, he may not have become what he has so far this season without going to Tampa Bays AHL affiliate where they've developed many good players

Reactions: Antropovsky

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They have the same amount of hits this year and Kadri gets scored on more often at ES. Kerfoot can also actually kill penalties unlike Kadri with his 4 seconds of PK time this year.

Kadri's better at faceoffs and brings way more value on the PP, but as far as doing the 3C job Kadri isn't better by an amount worth caring about. His defense isn't much better if at all, and his offense dried up when he got 3rd line usage. Throwing a big hit every 5-10 games isn't enough on its own.

Now, at 2LW with top PP time he would have been more useful than Kerfoot. He just doesn't do what you need from a 3C. Neither does Kerfoot maybe, but he's closer since he can PK and play solid ES defense.
Kadri has more intangibles in his jock than Kerfoot has on his best day. As far as “Kadri gets scored on more at es” what type of competition are they facing? Because Kadri anchors their 2nd line and even first line for a stretch when MacKinnon was hurt. Kerfoot has been mostly 3rd and 4th line and likely facing the other teams bottom two lines.

Look up their playoff production - that tells you all you need to know about which of these players elevates their game in big moments, and which one sinks.

And I don’t care how many hits Kadri throws. You can play physical without throwing body checks - but I do recall a handful of timely hits Kadri has thrown that energize the team. I’ve posted the clip from that Washington game enough times so I won’t bother doing that again, but he had a knack for knowing when the team needed a shot in the arm and going out and doing it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kadri has more intangibles in his jock than Kerfoot has on his best day. As far as “Kadri gets scored on more at es” what type of competition are they facing? Because Kadri anchors their 2nd line and even first line for a stretch when MacKinnon was hurt. Kerfoot has been mostly 3rd and 4th line and likely facing the other teams bottom two lines.

Look up their playoff production - that tells you all you need to know about which of these players elevates their game in big moments, and which one sinks.

And I don’t care how many hits Kadri throws. You can play physical without throwing body checks - but I do recall a handful of timely hits Kadri has thrown that energize the team. I’ve posted the clip from that Washington game enough times so I won’t bother doing that again, but he had a knack for knowing when the team needed a shot in the arm and going out and doing it.
the most common forwards Kerfoot has played against are Draisaitl, Batherson, Yamamoto, Stutzle, and McDavid. not really sure why you think he plays mostly against 4th liners, but it's actually the opposite

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's actually kinda crazy how great of a trade partner Columbus is.

Want some goalie insurance - Korpisalo or Merzlikins
Want some grit/leadership and top6 ability - Foligno or Jenner
Want a sturdy dman - Savard.

I got roasted for this but in a non quarantine world.
Upgrading
Kerfoot ->Jenner /Foligno
Andersen -> Korpi /Elvis
Dermott -> Savard (though right side)

We become a tough team to beat.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

Yup he was great at what you mentioned. But Kadri was also terrible at keeping his emotions in check. He can’t help the team watching from the team balcony. That was his demise.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Yup he was great at what you mentioned. But Kadri was also terrible at keeping his emotions in check. He can’t help the team watching from the team balcony. That was his demise.
At times, yeah. But it was a decision to trade him for pennies on the dollar, it didn’t have to happen. I think most coaches prefer a guy they need to reign in every once in a while over a guy who plays with no emotion or intensity.

Kadri can be a difference maker. Kerfoot is a fraction of the player. They’ve needed a 3rd centre since that trade was made but unfortunately still don’t have one.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't know if there's a player who's romanticized idea lines up less to the reality of what he is than Kadri, which is weird because what he really is is still a very good player. He's not a powerforward, he's not a shutdown center, he's not a 3rd line checking center. He's a great PP bumper who's one of the better agitators/PP drawers in the league at ES, that's still a valuable player without needing to invent this whole mythology of him being a two-way powerforward. Frustrating guys like McDavid into focusing on you instead of the game is a great asset to have, it doesn't magically make you smart in the defensive zone though. He also can't carry guys less talented than him on the 3rd line, his ES numbers were awful when Tavares bumped him down. If you put him on Tavares' wing, that would be something worth regretting losing.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't know if there's a player who's romanticized idea lines up less to the reality of what he is than Kadri, which is weird because what he really is is still a very good player. He's not a powerforward, he's not a shutdown center, he's not a 3rd line checking center. He's a great PP bumper who's one of the better agitators/PP drawers in the league at ES, that's still a valuable player without needing to invent this whole mythology of him being a two-way powerforward. Frustrating guys like McDavid into focusing on you instead of the game is a great asset to have, it doesn't magically make you smart in the defensive zone though. He also can't carry guys less talented than him on the 3rd line, his ES numbers were awful when Tavares bumped him down. If you put him on Tavares' wing, that would be something worth regretting losing.
I didn’t say he was a two way powerforward. In fact, I recall debating people on this forum about all of this - some were suggesting he was a Selke candidate while most realize that he wasn’t on that level... but he was an intense competitor who knew how to match up and shadow top players. Add in his offensive ability and that’s a very valuable player. Especially come playoff time.

Teams that win have a matchup centre, even if this player isn’t a Selke candidate. Boone Jenner was that for the Jackets last year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Name me the #5-8 dmen on TBay or COL or VGK.

Rutta, Schenn, Borgman, Foote for Tampa.

Byram, Jacob MacDonald, Pateryn, Timmins for Colorado (with Erik Johnson currently out long term).

Hague, Holden, Whitecloud, Coghlan for Vegas.

Besides maybe Vegas, we are significantly more prepared for top 4 injuries than any other team on that list: Dermott, Bogosian, Sandin, Liljegren (and Marincin, who is also better than some of the guys on that list).

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Kadri can be a difference maker. Kerfoot is a fraction of the player. They’ve needed a 3rd centre since that trade was made but unfortunately still don’t have one.

People can keep saying this but it doesn't make it true.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I didn’t say he was a two way powerforward. In fact, I recall debating people on this forum about all of this - some were suggesting he was a Selke candidate while most realize that he wasn’t on that level... but he was an intense competitor who knew how to match up and shadow top players. Add in his offensive ability and that’s a very valuable player.

Teams that win have a matchup centre, even if this player isn’t a Selke candidate. Boone Jenner was that for the Jackets last year.

Jenner's positioning and ability to play within a system is miles ahead of Kadri's. If Kadri's shadowing a line of Scrub-McDavid-Scrub, he can do a good job on him. If Edmonton loads up McDavid-Draisaitl on the same line, they're going to surgically pick Kadri apart easily when he overcommits to one of them. He doesn't have the skating or defensive awareness to do what we need from our 3C which is to play a quiet game against star players to open up soft offensive minutes for the top-6 and chip in on the PK.

For the record I'd take Jenner over Kerfoot, although I'd want to watch a few more games to be sure his skating is consistently good enough to do what we need him to.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00