Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, Conditional 2nd Round Pick

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Sure, but I think people are greatly overstating the value given up.

No. We paid basically the same for Kris Russell (a guy who I had to look up to remind me of who he was) as the NYR paid for Eric Staal...the face of the Carolina franchise for the past 10 years, captain of the the Canes, 2x 40+ goal scorer, 5x 30+ goal scorer...and also the guy who has 43 pts in 43 playoff games.

We paid the same that the Rangers paid for that guy...so yeah, I'd say we overpaid a tad.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
The same Eric Staal with 33 points in 63 games this year, with questionable defense, and with a significantly larger cap hit and less chance of re-signing with New York?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yeah, I also think 2006 Eric Staal was awesome. There probably is some upside to Staal buried there and not showing up in the stats. He's the kind of guy who could be pretty special if he can turn it on for the playoffs. I sure hope so because I always liked him.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Staal would be a luxury on the stars. If we made the same trade and acquired Staal, I would have been even more upset. At least Nill got a guy that is at a position of need.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
It's worth pointing out that because of time-value, our assets are more value than the ones the Rangers gave up. Jokipakka is a thing now, a decent 6 who makes under a million bucks next year. Pollock was drafted a year ahead of the guy the Rangers gave up, he may have a lower ceiling but a higher floor, and our 2nd will be near theirs unless it is our 1st.

Staal is built for the playoffs, I'm not concerned at all about him being on a 40-ish pt pace. He'll be a difference maker when they upset the Capitals.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Staal would be a luxury on the stars. If we made the same trade and acquired Staal, I would have been even more upset. At least Nill got a guy that is at a position of need.

I suspect TJ and OttMorrow have plenty to say about a 5'9" 170lb defenseman being at a "position of need" :laugh:

I'd have been much happier with Staal at this price, he's exactly what we need to beat St. Louis. We have guys with his level of physical ability but without his offense and vice versa.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Maybe but I am not worried about the offense. I don't like the trade but am glad it was for a defenseman and not a forward.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The same Eric Staal with 33 points in 63 games this year, with questionable defense, and with a significantly larger cap hit and less chance of re-signing with New York?

Please. I would bet money he puts up Spezza-like numbers in NY. At least.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Maybe but I am not worried about the offense. I don't like the trade but am glad it was for a defenseman and not a forward.

We are built to win 5-4. Given the pieces we have locked in, it's easier to win 6-4 than 4-3. We can't out-defenseman or out-goalie anybody, I'd rather just go for it.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

I'm not saying we should have gotten Staal. We don't need another Center. I'm just comparing what the NYR got for their dollar against what we got for our dollar. They needed offense and they got a world-class talent who is still in his prime despite what the numbers might say. We got a decent player, who doesn't address the defensive needs of our team...you can spin it every which way you want, but we did not need a tiny, left-shot D with bad underlying numbers. If you can get that guy for CHEAP...see Mike Weber, see Schultz...then whatever, but for a UFA on the level of Russell who doesn't fit our specific needs, I'd expect a near bargin-bin deal for him.

Last edited:

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Eric Staal has been declining for a few years now.

Even declining, he's still twice the player Russell is.

You watch his numbers go up with a better team and a change of scenery. The Rangers made a great move in getting Staal.

At least Staal has the upside...a ton of it.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah, Russell's stats don't show to be good, but comparing Staal and Russell is apples to oranges.

Mike Weber doesn't log big minutes. He's not good at moving the puck up the ice. He'll put you through a wall but that's it.

Should be interested to see how Russell fits in tonight. I'm not thrilled with the move, but I'm willing to see how Russell fits in with the team before throwing another temper tantrum.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Yeah, Russell's stats don't show to be good, but comparing Staal and Russell is apples to oranges.

Mike Weber doesn't log big minutes. He's not good at moving the puck up the ice. He'll put you through a wall but that's it.

Should be interested to see how Russell fits in tonight. I'm not thrilled with the move, but I'm willing to see how Russell fits in with the team before throwing another temper tantrum.

Has Russell been confirmed to play tonight?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
In an interview with Russell, Heika timidly asked Russell if he paid attention to advanced stats saying essentially that statistically inclined fans think you suck. I thought it was funny, it was like Heika was trying to be hard hitting and asking on behalf of that section of fanbase but it just kind of came across as hilariously awkward. Russell gave a standard hockey player answer but I still chuckled a bit.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
In an interview with Russell, Heika timidly asked Russell if he paid attention to advanced stats saying essentially that statistically inclined fans think you suck. I thought it was funny, it was like Heika was trying to be hard hitting and asking on behalf of that section of fanbase but it just kind of came across as hilariously awkward. Russell gave a standard hockey player answer but I still chuckled a bit.

Do you pay attention to all those people who think you are a worthless bum? That you hurt your team every time you take a shift? :laugh:

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
I need to stop reading about the trade or listening about the trade. C. Ludwig was on the radio an hour ago talking about it. I came away realizing it was done simply to help block shots on the PKill. I'm disliking it more and more.

Addendum: Of course, if Dallas will get out of their second slump of the year and win, oh, I don't know, maybe 5 of 6 games, the trade will become distant. Hearing Ludwig about Russel's "desire, and locker room leadership," did not help after trying to nullify 5'10" at 170, the smallest defensive-man now on the Stars.

Dallas needs a win tonight, badly!

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Just having fun with this: "Just because I wanted to address the 3rd pairing doesn't mean I supported bringing ANYONE over to fit that role, and paying ANYTHING to do it. "

...and tossing out an idea that I would enjoy. I'll get back to work...

Glad you appreciated, man. Giving you a chuckle from time to time is the least I can do to give back for the work you put in to our site.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I suspect TJ and OttMorrow have plenty to say about a 5'9" 170lb defenseman being at a "position of need" :laugh:

I'd have been much happier with Staal at this price, he's exactly what we need to beat St. Louis. We have guys with his level of physical ability but without his offense and vice versa.

I stated I'm okay with the deal, and I like Russell, seeing him quite a bit up here.

Would I be much happier he came inside of a physical 6'3 210lb frame? You bet your ass, and so would you, don't kid yourself. Anything other than "Hell yes!", you're a liar.

As for Staal, I really wanted us to surprise everyone and snag him. I think he'd be a great addition for the playoffs. Stats aren't great this season, but that's okay, he still has some game and.....wait for it.....he's got size!

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
If he had a frame like that, his price would likely be triple what we paid.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
If Russell came in a 6'3" 210lb frame then we'd be giving up 2 1sts, Honka, Honka's first born, and LT's modship to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad