Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, Conditional 2nd Round Pick

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
His advanced stats aren't bad outside of Calgary. They're also not a great metric for individual ability, IMO. Outside of a Benn or Ovechkin, one player isn't going to have that huge of an effect on possession every time he's on the ice.

We have relative stats so we can measure how good a player is vs the rest of his team. He's bad even for Calgary. And don't forget he wants 5m per.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Elliotte Friedman
@FriedgeHNIC
Benning says DAL deal for Hamhuis was parallel deal to what CAL got for Russell, but Stars chose the Alberta option

6:52pm · 29 Feb 2016 · Twitter for iPhone

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Benning says that Dallas chose Russell over Hamhuis
Similar offers were made for both players.

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
For all we know he can just be covering his butt. Hamhius was Nill's guy, doubt he chose Russell over Hamhius if it was the same deal.

I find that very hard to believe.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Anybody know the over/under for when we sign him long term? I suspect money to be made taking the under :cry:

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Hamhius was Nill's guy, doubt he chose Russell over Hamhius if it was the same deal.

I find that very hard to believe.

The only thing Russell had over Hamhuis was that it would be possible to re-sign Russell whereas Hamhuis was headed back to Vancouver on July 1st.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that Nill doesn't view Russell as just a rental, and would like to explore re-signing him. And that terrifies the **** out of me, even more-so than the trade itself.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't take what Benning said seriously. There's no way they would have chosen Russell there. Hamhuis was being offered at 50% retained which is a steal 2,250,000

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Nill may have to find a veteran second pair D guy next year, if he can't sign Alex, Jordie and Jason, so he is covering his butt that way, figuring he would get a leg up on Russell resigning here, playoff ops, no state taxes, etc. if Russell likes it here. hard to think he wouldn't.

So maybe that was part of his thinking, whereas he knew Haimus would certainly go back.

Also, as I mentioned somewhere, there is supposedly bad blood between the Owners for reasons I can't recall and maybe the idea that VAN won't fleece us took over. I doubt it, but maybe.

Lastly, Nill may have stayed in on Haimus just to keep Chicago from finishing a deal at the last second, perhaps offering up the kitchen sink, and then taking it off the table at 2.59.59. I actually find that more believable.

Lastly, we will see what we get with Russell before we resign him, at hopefully less than $5M per.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I wouldn't take what Benning said seriously. There's no way they would have chosen Russell there. Hamhuis was being offered at 50% retained which is a steal 2,250,000

Dallas didn't care if money was retained. We could've acquired Russell and Hamhuis at no retention and not have blinked an eye.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Dallas was rumoured to be after Hamhuis all the way until the end.

And what Benning said doesn't make sense. Nill offering same type of package for two players and then just choosing other one. Rather that Nill had two offers going and Calgary was first to agree.

So what happened:

A) Benning just ****ed up somehow. Just doesn't have balls to say it.
B) Didn't want to do that trade in the end. Makes least sense.
C) He was greedy. Dallas chose Russell and couldn't pull deal anymore. Doesn't make sense because there were over 20minutes (right?) to get new offer.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The package sure sounds like Nill all the way. He kept his best prospects out of it, and JJ was expendable. A second round pick is pretty standard for rentals.

Went to the Nucks board, and comments on the value of Russell vs Haimus were similar to ours. I see one wants to hear Nills explanation. It will probably be in code and only hint at what happened. I doubt he would call Benning a jackass for not taking his offer, but it is probably close to the truth.

Either way, it appears Nil went down to the wire, offered what he was going to offer, and got rejected, turned to CAL with just enough time to spare to make a deal. It boggles the mind what Nill might have offered after the Russell trade. Jamie O for sure, maybe another pick but it couldn't be higher than a third this year.

Sad to say it would have been nice to see him acquire both D. We need the help. On the other hand, he leaves some assets to remake the D this summer, when it probably ought to be rebuilt.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
There is no way in hell Dallas actually valued Russell over Hamhuis. We're missing some information here.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
i liked pollock alot as a potential 2nd liner and hate giving up a potential 1st. Nill was either really desperate or the stars think much more highly of russel than i do. I sure hope he is right. with the price he paid i imagine he is thinking of this as more than a rental.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
I feel like Joki + one of the pick or Pollock would have been even Steven, but not both.

Still, if Russell gives us what we got him for, I don't think there will be nearly as much complaining. If that pick turns out to be a 1st, we're in the conference final AT LEAST, and I'm not looking back.

We didn't give anything we couldn't afford, we just gave slightly too much of it. It all may end up being nothing though, who knows.

I like Russell, personally. I see enough of him up here. He's not a stud, but he's solid.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I feel like Joki + one of the pick or Pollock would have been even Steven, but not both.

Still, if Russell gives us what we got him for, I don't think there will be nearly as much complaining. If that pick turns out to be a 1st, we're in the conference final AT LEAST, and I'm not looking back.

We didn't give anything we couldn't afford, we just gave slightly too much of it. It all may end up being nothing though, who knows.

I like Russell, personally. I see enough of him up here. He's not a stud, but he's solid.

Mike Weber was had for a 3rd. Schultz was had for a 3rd.

We WAY overpaid in my opinion. Those are both 3rd pairing D...and they were gotten for practically free at the deadline.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Mike Weber was had for a 3rd. Schultz was had for a 3rd.

We WAY overpaid in my opinion. Those are both 3rd pairing D...and they were gotten for practically free at the deadline.

I believe Russell could move up and play above a 3rd pairing. Maybe a tweener, 2nd and 3rd, + PK.

I would place Russell above Weber, and as far as Schultz......

Justin Schultz might be one of the worst players in the NHL.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Goligoski - Klingberg
Oduya - Demers
Nemeth - Benn

Russell
Lehtonen
Niemi

All about them shot blocks

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Trust me, Stars fans, you'll love the guy in the playoffs maybe even sooner. He's small, but fiesty as hell, every scrum and scuffle, Russ will be front and center defending his team mates. Warrior through and through, who can move the puck and skate.

When you look at his analytics you have to think about the system Calgary plays, it doesn't create good advanced stats. Not saying he'll be awesome possession wise, but he'll fit your system and not be a liability. He'll take the puck in the face before letting it hit the back of the net, than he'll get up and block it again.

Give him a shot, we're really gonna miss him in Calgary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad