Confirmed with Link: Kris Russell for Jyrki Jokipakka, Brett Pollock, Conditional 2nd Round Pick

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Come on man...come on.

Forwards... Yeah size doesn't matter AS MUCH, but as a defenseman it does with only VERY few exceptions....

The idea that I have to explain you of all people that we shouldn't get smaller on our 1st pairing is mind-boggling.

Why isn't Jamie Oleksiak on our top pairing then? Size is unnecessary. There's a marginal difference.

Duncan Keith isn't a behemoth but he gets his job done.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why isn't Jamie Oleksiak on our top pairing then? Size is unnecessary. There's a marginal difference.

Duncan Keith isn't a behemoth but he gets his job done.

Well size can help if you also have the skill but it's pretty clear in the current NHL an undersized player with skill >>> a big guy without / with much less skill.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Really? Do I really have to explain this all?

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Big does not equal good and you still have to be able to play hockey Oleksiak is not very good at hockey despite his size, but THE ONLY reason Oleksiak is even in the NHL is because of his size. If Oleksiak was Russell's size, he wouldn't have even gotten drafted.

At the NHL level, size + skill is always preferred. Especially on defense. Even more especially for your big minute players. Period.

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Really? Do I really have to explain this all?

I think you're just arguing for the sake of arguing now.

Big does not equal good and you still have to be able to play hockey, but THE ONLY reason Oleksiak is even in the NHL is because of his size. If Oleksiak was Russell's size, he wouldn't have even gotten drafted.

Your condescension is explaining nothing. Thanks though?

The only reason why Oleksiak is in the NHL is because he can skate not because he's 6'7". Another example of size being meaningless. Thanks.

You're asking the wrong questions anyways. What does Calgary see in Jokipakka? Not much, Jim Nill and co have had years to evaluate him. I'm pretty sure they've got a strong idea of how his career as a #6/7 defenseman will turn out.

The real question: What does Jim Nill see in Kris Russell? Anton Stralman-lite? Poor man's Anton Stralman? The team needs that. Most teams desire that.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
If size and skill was preferred, don't you think we would've traded for Dan Hamhuis? Makes u think

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Your condescension is explaining nothing. Thanks though?

The only reason why Oleksiak is in the NHL is because he can skate not because he's 6'7". Another example of size being meaningless. Thanks.

You're asking the wrong questions anyways. What does Calgary see in Jokipakka? Not much, Jim Nill and co have had years to evaluate him. I'm pretty sure they've got a strong idea of how his career as a #6/7 defenseman will turn out.

The real question: What does Jim Nill see in Kris Russell? Anton Stralman-lite? Poor man's Anton Stralman? The team needs that. Most teams desire that.

OK you're right...let's just assemble the smallest defensive core in the league during the offseason... Since as you say, "size. Does. Not. Matter."

;)

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
OK you're right...let's just assemble the smallest defensive core in the league... Since as you say, "size. Does. Not. Matter."

;)

That's not what I'm saying, nice try.

I'm also not letting three to four inches or a couple pounds have a bias on my selection of defensemen.

You assemble a team of the best players you can find. Who cares how big or how small they are.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If size and skill was preferred, don't you think we would've traded for Dan Hamhuis? Makes u think

Hamhuis at this stage of his career is a non-threat offensively. Plus he is 33 and wouldn't re-sign here .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
...Then we get even worse and somehow even smaller on our already diminutive and defensively lacking top-pairing.

As far as the overpayment is concerned:

...remember, we did lose our best Canadian Junior prospect in Pollock, and at the minimum, a 2nd Rounder, in addition to Jokipakka.

That's pretty steep considering that the Bruins got John-Michael Liles for a 3rd, a 5th, and Anthony Camara at the deadline.

3rd pairing Dmen, Mike Weber and Schultz, went for a 3rd Rounder a piece...basically for free.

Liles is a bottom pairing defender. Weber and Schultz don't belong in the NHL.

And considering how few CHL prospects we have, that's not a particularly big accomplishment.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
What do they see? A cost controlled defenseman who you can plug into your lineup on the bottom pairing and be satisfied most nights.

We have two of those guys in Nemeth and Oleksiak.

It's not the Da Vinci Code.

I was simply asking Flames fans who might come here if he is playing well for them, not any big picture question.......

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Wonder what Flames fans are seeing in Kevin?

A bottom pairing defenseman, about as good as Smid/Engelland but at a cheaper cap hit. Nothing we needed desperately but if we can miraculously move out those two players that will clear up 7.4M in cap space and I don't think we would skip a beat. He's also picked up a pair of points which is always encouraging from a stay-at-home type guy.

I don't really see Jokipakka as an obvious upgrade over our own NHL-ready D prospects (Tyler Wotherspoon/Brett Kulak) but he brings a more physical element than those two along with a bit more experience. Really, what I see is some additional roster competition going into next year's training camp, which will make sure Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, and Kulak are each pushing each other. Overall I think Pollock and the conditional 2nd were the centre of the deal but Jokipakka's doesn't hurt.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
A bottom pairing defenseman, about as good as Smid/Engelland but at a cheaper cap hit. Nothing we needed desperately but if we can miraculously move out those two players that will clear up 7.4M in cap space and I don't think we would skip a beat. He's also picked up a pair of points which is always encouraging from a stay-at-home type guy.

I don't really see Jokipakka as an obvious upgrade over our own NHL-ready D prospects (Tyler Wotherspoon/Brett Kulak) but he brings a more physical element than those two along with a bit more experience. Really, what I see is some additional roster competition going into next year's training camp, which will make sure Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, and Kulak are each pushing each other. Overall I think Pollock and the conditional 2nd were the centre of the deal but Jokipakka's doesn't hurt.

I think this is how Nill looked at it. The trade was for a 2nd and Pollock. Jyrki was a throw in. He had a couple good games and otherwise made some terrible decisions. He was supposed to have the experience by playing more AHL games but he is what he is.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
We'll have ~14M of cap. That should be enough.

900k to Garbutt
10.4m to goalies (2 roster spots)
8.9m to defense (3 roster spots)
35.85m to forwards (9 roster spots)

56.05m total (14 roster spots)
Stagnant Cap @70m gives about 14m to sign:
1 vet forward (Scevior @ 1m)
New contracts for Nichushkin and Ritchie (3m total)
675k for McKenzie
4 defensemen (Johns 900k, Lindell 750k)
1 more player if desired (zero here to bank space)

7.7-ish to fill 2 spots on defense

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
The impression I get (as a non-Stars and non-Flames fan) is that Jokipakka was a roster fill-in with the least upside (and furthest removed from the captain's bloodlines) but needed to get out of the way/fill in for Calgary the rest of the way...

I think Nill believes that Nemeth could potentially help him in the postseason and that Oleksiak (and Nemeth) holds some independent value at the draft if necessary. As he'll probably move on from at least one of them you'd think...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
....... Really, what I see is some additional roster competition going into next year's training camp, which will make sure Wotherspoon, Jokipakka, and Kulak are each pushing each other...........but Jokipakka's doesn't hurt.

So, Kevin is basically saying, "Oh great, a rerun of last season in a different color" for him. LOL

I agree with everyone he is basically 4-6 material, and a good value at that. With the cap, you need guys like that, and it really must be frustrating for all the lunch bucket guys to know their biggest value is to open up cap space for some probably over paid goal scorers that sell more tickets.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
900k to Garbutt
10.4m to goalies (2 roster spots)
8.9m to defense (3 roster spots)
35.85m to forwards (9 roster spots)

56.05m total (14 roster spots)
Stagnant Cap @70m gives about 14m to sign:
1 vet forward (Scevior @ 1m)
New contracts for Nichushkin and Ritchie (3m total)
675k for McKenzie
4 defensemen (Johns 900k, Lindell 750k)
1 more player if desired (zero here to bank space)

7.7-ish to fill 2 spots on defense

Unless we can offload Kari, Hemsky, Oleksiak and Eakin

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Unless we can offload Kari, Hemsky, Oleksiak and Eakin

Offloading Kari and Hemsky without retaining salary would make Nill a miracle worker. Although, the money saved would probably just go toward another overvalued forward acquisition.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I would look to offload Kari and or niemi and eakin. Hemsky does not bother me as he only has one year left and has played well.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I've actually liked Russell so far. He hasn't had much goaltending behind him, and would be nice to see the full healthy defence, but I'm hoping they re-sign him.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I've actually liked Russell so far. He hasn't had much goaltending behind him, and would be nice to see the full healthy defence, but I'm hoping they re-sign him.

I can see a possible 1 or 2 yr deal. He has played pretty well considering the circumstances.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I just hope the reports of 5+ Million a year demands are wrong and just spin from Canadian media. He's not worth that much .

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I just hope the reports of 5+ Million a year demands are wrong and just spin from Canadian media. He's not worth that much .

Hell there are people on the Main boards that think Demers is worth $6mil. I think Russell at 3 years at $14 mil would be ok.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hell there are people on the Main boards that think Demers is worth $6mil. I think Russell at 3 years at $14 mil would be ok.

Market rate for 2nd pair UFA is >5m AAV. If enough teams are obsessed with left-right balance, you get a bidding war with a 6m conclusion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad