News Article: Kris Draper, has been promoted to the Red Wings’ director of Amateur Scouting.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That pick has a little bit bad taste, because Ehn was only known from Frölunda, where Andersson sits on the board of governors.

And, overager, 21-year-old Arvidsson was shining at Swedish playoffs, where they did won a Championship. Scored 16 points in 14 playoff games.

So everybody knew Arvidsson. He wasn't hiding anywhere. They even had Jimmie Ericsson on that Skellefteå team (Jonathan Ericsson's older brother) to ask something about personality if needed.

Quite sure Ehn would have been there at 5th round. 11 points at 45 games at Swedish U20 junior level games was kind of, meh.

Of course, he was 18-year old and on this draft age and Arvidsson was 21-year-old.

But mostly, I think Red Wings other scouting brazz could have terminated picking a 5'9 overaged midget. Who knows if Andersson suggested him, but others could have denied. Because in 2014 we had the old NHL, and the management was saying that "we need to get bigger and tougher". Ehn had that skinny but tall 6'3 frame to build around.

They couldn't see the NHL future (which started after 2016 World Cup) where small skating players could thriwe.

People love Arvidsson so much.
These same people who complain about Athanasiou or Mantha.

30-goal wingers are the new 20-goal wingers with offense rising.
We've got Arvidssons.
We've got 3 30-goal threats at winger this year.

We've got 3 more prospects at Wing with 20-30 goal potential, not to mention Berggren and perhaps a kid from this year's draft.
Mastrisimone or Kivenmaki might be our Arvidsson one day.

Ehn has height, speed and actually has some offensive ability if given half a chance.

Another reason I wasn't thrilled with the Erne trade.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Totally different situation IMO. With Yzerman just coming back to the organization I don't think he was doing anything other than following what his scouts suggested. Obviously he leaned heavily on Hakan and I feel that was the correct decision based on his long-established track record. Yzerman also knew him from his time in Detroit prior to leaving to run the Bolts.

If you listen to Hakan's interview at the draft he was talking up how much Wright loved Tuomisto. We'll see how it plays out.

He definitely seemed like he was saying, yeah, that guy's on Tyler Wright.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People love Arvidsson so much.

My point for that pick was just that, there wasn't any reason special tactic to wait or pick Arvidsson lower, because he was one of the stars at Swedish playoffs. He was there for everybody.

But Ehn you could have had on the next round, if he was some kind of a hidden gem, he wasn't showing something everybody would know.

In a case of Arvidsson, I could believe, he was just on The Excluded list.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
how many of those 30 goal scorers are 21 and have a 40 goal season under their belt. Let's please stop pretending like 30 goal scorers grow on trees lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
how many of those 30 goal scorers are 21 and have a 40 goal season under their belt. Let's please stop pretending like 30 goal scorers grow on trees lol

How many of those guys had any sort of chance to?
Athanasiou has been scoring at 30-goal rate his entire career. Last year he finally got the minutes to make it happen.
Mantha would have scored 30 if healthy.
Bertuzzi would be a 30 goal possibility if he played all year on a scoring line.
There were 45 30-goal men last year. Up from 28 in 15-16.

Stick Mantha, Athanasiou or Bertuzzi on a line with Johansson and Forsberg, with Ellis, Ekholm, Subban and Josi on defense.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My point for that pick was just that, there wasn't any reason special tactic to wait or pick Arvidsson lower, because he was one of the stars at Swedish playoffs. He was there for everybody.

But Ehn you could have had on the next round, if he was some kind of a hidden gem, he wasn't showing something everybody would know.

In a case of Arvidsson, I could believe, he was just on The Excluded list.

Yeah. I guess.
But Monday morning quarterback the draft... 5 years later... anyone can play that game.

Unless you were calling for it on draft day, I don't really see the point.
I think we got a player in Ehn.
Maybe never more than a 4th liner with speed, PK and the odd goal. But I'll take that.
I hope we don't bury him back in GR and chase him back to Sweden.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah. I guess.
But Monday morning quarterback the draft... 5 years later... anyone can play that game.

Unless you were calling for it on draft day, I don't really see the point.
I think we got a player in Ehn.
Maybe never more than a 4th liner with speed, PK and the odd goal. But I'll take that.
I hope we don't bury him back in GR and chase him back to Sweden.
Ehn is more than likely going to get sent down because he's not waiver eligible and the Erne signing. The other option would be waiving DLR. Ehn is waiver eligible after next season, but his contract expires after next season so it would be up to him to re-sign or head to Europe.

I don't think it's a big deal either way. A guy like him doesn't make or break a team, you only need so many 4th liners on a team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wouldn't waste any time with Ehn speculation.

Up or down on first day, he will mostly play his season in NHL. Like last season.

Kids will go down. Ehn can be the NHL rotation guy.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
It looks to me like Yzerman has a little more organizational budget to work with in terms of staff. Happy the Ilitch family has green-lighted that.

With the Ilitch family's long and consistent history of being willing to spend money to win I can't help but think these funds were always available. Wouldn't be surprised if Holland was satisfied with his front office and didn't feel the need for any staffing changes or hiring of the additional staff. Yzerman appears to think otherwise IMO.

Interesting that Håkan added a second Swedish scout in Carlsson, and not some young kid but an experienced guy with 10 seasons of NHL scouting (ARI, STL).

I see that as a good thing, there's a track record that to use in judging his scouting ability. Hakan and Yzerman must like what they've seen.

There's the sad chance that this could be the start of a lesser role from Hakan too. If that's the case I sincerely hope it's coming from Hakan himself. Dude has been scouting for us damn near 30 years and is in his mid 50s. Not everyone wants to work into their late 50s or 60s.

Doesn't he have some involvement in a SHL team FO? Might be wanting to take a larger role there. Less travel maybe.

Hell maybe he's looking to pivot from scouting to managment. Go the Kekäläinen route.

Who knows though, this is all just pure speculation on my part.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Nah Holland just wanted to bank the extra budget money so he could use his bonus check on a sweet coat from Men's Warehouse.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So far, Kris Draper's drafts. I'll split these as European / North-American drafts

2020 + 2021 European Drafted
#4 Lucas Raymond, RW
Håkan Andersson pick, has struggled a bit with injuries (mumps at draft year, elbow at 2021) but the hype is still going on.

#6 Simon Edvinsson, LD
All Håkan again. Drafting idea seemed to be the development potential, and if they saw the same as Seider, this could turn out real gud.

#32 William Wallinder, LD
Another Håkan pick. No negatives or positives yet.

#51 Theodor Niederbach, C/RW
Third Håkan pick. Dominated at junior leagues as 16-year old, lost whole DY for knee injury, turning to pro at Frölunda.

#70 Eemil Viro, LD
Progressing really well, regular at TPS Liiga-team and probably Top4 guy at next season, Signed ELC.

#107 Jan Bednar, G
Big and athletic 6'4 goaltender putting bad numbers in every team he plays. Very long shot, and seems to be the only failure of European draftees.

#134 Liam Dower-Nilsson, C
Another Håkan-find, this time from lower rounds. Captain type. Not much to say yet.

2020 +2021 North American picks
#15 Sebastian Cossa, G
Big reach and statement pick taking him before Wallstedt. Time will tell. This must be a BOOM pick to fill a big organizational need.

#36 Shai Buium, LD
Traded up 2 spots to lose a 4th. Looks very promising defenceman, but this was the pick what could have been Räty.

#55 Cross Hanas, LW
Draper pick, struggled after draft, goalscorer, who scored only 5 goals in 33 games at two different junior leagues. Tough to find a place to play at corona year.

#63 Donovan Sebrango, LD
Draper pick, has been doing good and got even AHL taste. Definitely successful pick so far. Will make a case for CAN U20 team.

#70 Carter Mazur, LW
Reach like Hanas, but seemed to show potential at WJSS. Could turn out worth the reach.

#97 Sam Stange, RW
Struggling sniper, long way to go, but good place at NCAA.

#114 Red Savage, C
Good pick from fairly low draft position. Bloodline-pick, but could turn out to be the good one. Also Captain type.

#132 Alex Cotton, RD
Good-sized 6'2 RhD putting great numbers at WHL. Definitely great pick.

#155 Oscar Plandowski, RD
Fine pick on this range.

#156 Kyle Aucoin, LD
Bloodlines pick not going anywhere except Harvard NCAA. Probably makes a career on management side, why draft these guys?

#166 Pasquale Zito, W
Somebody had gone as far as Windsor, from Detroit and saw this guy. Gritty player, could at least bring some competition on training camps.

#187 Kienan Draper, RW
Own son, nepotism pick, totally just picked without any hockey-based reason. Failing miserably on his DY+1 season.

#203 Chase Bradley, C/LW
Of the Draper pick they said that "there's not much talent left on these rounds" as a reason and will pick own son. Then they find talent after him. WTF? Absolutely great 7th round pick. Guy has thriwed in USHL since draft.

For 2020 NA drafters, for every BUST there's also quite good booming prospect. Also this 2021 seemed to better than 2021, but they skipped many high-ranked Europeans on those picks. Maybe Håkan was involved on those decisions (to skip certain Europeans which did fall on draft) and Draper was free to go after his favourites.

I haven't liked some of those 2020 Draper picks, keep them as absolutely idiotic. But there has been quite much of those booming guys. Have to give credit about that. For the lower picks, I like this that they are boom or busts. Not mediocrity.

Those Håkan Europeans have been now higher and he seems to get steady results out from there. Almost nobody is busting. 2021 draft is even more Draper draft, only two came from Europe, Edvinsson and Dower-Nilsson. As general tactic, they were reaching like mad and throwing picks away.

They skipped Räty and were going after defence still very heavy. This Buium vs. Räty will be very interesting to see on long run. They reached also for Buium, so they have really liked him.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So far, Kris Draper's drafts. I'll split these as European / North-American drafts

2020 + 2021 European Drafted
#4 Lucas Raymond, RW
Håkan Andersson pick, has struggled a bit with injuries (mumps at draft year, elbow at 2021) but the hype is still going on.

#6 Simon Edvinsson, LD
All Håkan again. Drafting idea seemed to be the development potential, and if they saw the same as Seider, this could turn out real gud.

#32 William Wallinder, LD
Another Håkan pick. No negatives or positives yet.

#51 Theodor Niederbach, C/RW
Third Håkan pick. Dominated at junior leagues as 16-year old, lost whole DY for knee injury, turning to pro at Frölunda.

#70 Eemil Viro, LD
Progressing really well, regular at TPS Liiga-team and probably Top4 guy at next season, Signed ELC.

#107 Jan Bednar, G
Big and athletic 6'4 goaltender putting bad numbers in every team he plays. Very long shot, and seems to be the only failure of European draftees.

#134 Liam Dower-Nilsson, C
Another Håkan-find, this time from lower rounds. Captain type. Not much to say yet.

#15 Sebastian Cossa, G
Big reach and statement pick taking him before Wallstedt. Time will tell. This must be a BOOM pick to fill a big organizational need.

#36 Shai Buium, LD
Traded up 2 spots to lose a 4th. Looks very promising defenceman, but this was the pick what could have been Räty.

#55 Cross Hanas, LW
Draper pick, struggled after draft, goalscorer, who scored only 5 goals in 33 games at two different junior leagues. Tough to find a place to play at corona year.

#63 Donovan Sebrango, LD
Draper pick, has been doing good and got even AHL taste. Definitely successful pick so far. Will make a case for CAN U20 team.

#70 Carter Mazur, LW
Reach like Hanas, but seemed to show potential at WJSS. Could turn out worth the reach.

#97 Sam Stange, RW
Struggling sniper, long way to go, but good place at NCAA.

#114 Red Savage, C
Good pick from fairly low draft position. Bloodline-pick, but could turn out to be the good one. Also Captain type.

#132 Alex Cotton, RD
Good-sized 6'2 RhD putting great numbers at WHL. Definitely great pick.

#155 Oscar Plandowski, RD
Fine pick on this range.

#156 Kyle Aucoin, LD
Bloodlines pick not going anywhere except Harvard NCAA. Probably makes a career on management side, why draft these guys?

#166 Pasquale Zito, W
Somebody had gone as far as Windsor, from Detroit and saw this guy. Gritty player, could at least bring some competition on training camps.

#187 Kienan Draper, RW
Own son, nepotism pick, totally just picked without any hockey-based reason. Failing miserably on his DY+1 season.

#203 Chase Bradley, C/LW
Of the Draper pick they said that "there's not much talent left on these rounds" as a reason and will pick own son. Then they find talent after him. WTF? Absolutely great 7th round pick. Guy has thriwed in USHL since draft.

For 2020 NA drafters, for every BUST there's also quite good booming prospect. Also this 2021 seemed to better than 2021, but they skipped many high-ranked Europeans on those picks. Maybe Håkan was involved on those decisions (to skip certain Europeans which did fall on draft) and Draper was free to go after his favourites.

I haven't liked some of those 2020 Draper picks, keep them as absolutely idiotic. But there has been quite much of those booming guys. Have to give credit about that. For the lower picks, I like this that they are boom or busts. Not mediocrity.

Those Håkan Europeans have been now higher and he seems to get steady results out from there. Almost nobody is busting. 2021 draft is even more Draper draft, only two came from Europe, Edvinsson and Dower-Nilsson. As general tactic, they were reaching like mad and throwing picks away.

They skipped Räty and were going after defence still very heavy. This Buium vs. Räty will be very interesting to see on long run. They reached also for Buium, so they have really liked him.

Dower-Nilsson and Raymond were not "hakan finds."
These guys were well-known prospects.

Also, Mazur and Hanas were not the same kind of reaches.
Hanas maybe went 10-12 spots higher than expected.
Mazur likely shouldn't have been drafted.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
#15 Sebastian Cossa, G

Big reach?

2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by FCHockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by TSN/Craig Button
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by McKeen's Hockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by TSN/McKenzie
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #1 by NHL Central Scouting

Ranked #7 in The Black Book

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Big reach?

2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by FCHockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by TSN/Craig Button
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #19 by McKeen's Hockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #15 by TSN/McKenzie

Ranked #7 in The Black Book
Maybe not for his draft position, but I think it is fair to consider him a reach with Wallstedt still available, who most of those sources ranked quite a bit higher than Cossa.

2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by FCHockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #7 by TSN/Craig Button
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #5 by McKeen's Hockey
2021 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #12 by TSN/McKenzie

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe not for his draft position, but I think it is fair to consider him a reach with Wallstedt still available, who most of those sources ranked quite a bit higher than Cossa.

Depends where you looked. People had Cossa over Wallstedt. Mckenzie said 4 of the 10 NHL scouts he polled had Cossa over Wallstedt.

Reactions: newfy

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
Depends where you looked. People had Cossa over Wallstedt. Mckenzie said 4 of the 10 NHL scouts he polled had Cossa over Wallstedt.
Yeah, I did see that. I was just referencing the same list you were. I think it is probably overstating it to call it a big reach, but from a fan perspective it does appear to be a gamble.

Reactions: Frk It

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of some of our recent (and not so recent) North American picks and wouldn't mind picking even more from Europe, but assigning draft picks as either "Draper picks" and "Håkan picks" doesn't seem like a great way to do it. After all, Draper is director of all amateur scouting, not just North America. In fact, I remember reading something about Yzerman wanting Håkan to be more involved in evaluating top North American draft prospects also, and that being a reason why they hired Thomas Carlsson. I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit. This Swedish article has a bit about that: "Törs knappt säga till dig vad de säger om honom" - Hockeysverige – Mer av sporten du älskar - Hockeysverige – Mer av sporten du älskar

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I did see that. I was just referencing the same list you were. I think it is probably overstating it to call it a big reach, but from a fan perspective it does appear to be a gamble.

Yeah, I would have opted for Wallstedt personally, and have said as much. But Cossa was not a reach and was well liked in his own right.

One interesting thing I heard (I believe on The Athletic Hockey podcast) was teams had concerns with Wallstedt down the stretch, not only with his play, but with his playing weight and conditioning.

I wonder if that factored into our decision?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'm not a huge fan of some of our recent (and not so recent) North American picks and wouldn't mind picking even more from Europe, but assigning draft picks as either "Draper picks" and "Håkan picks" doesn't seem like a great way to do it. After all, Draper is director of all amateur scouting, not just North America. In fact, I remember reading something about Yzerman wanting Håkan to be more involved in evaluating top North American draft prospects so he can compare them to Europeans, and that being a reason why they hired Thomas Carlsson. I'll see if I can find a link.
Agreed. Henkka's post presumes that Draper makes the NA picks and Hakan makes the European picks independently. I'm sure it's collaborative.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

It is only a reach if you are wrong. If Cossa turns out better than Wallstedt we didn't reach at all, we were simply right. The point of the draft is to pick the best possible players, not to maximize pick value vis-a-vis some consensus list of half-Pejorative Slured public scouts.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It was reach for a big organizational need. So that will put some pressure for the "we always draft BPA" -talkers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad