News Article: Kris Draper, has been promoted to the Red Wings’ director of Amateur Scouting.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
That's what the site says, so I suppose you're right. I'm probably just picky, but I don't think that's what "chief" means. Oh well.
Come to think of it, I'd guess the titles are to appear as a promotion, so that the DRW's could hire them away. Who knows what responsibilities they have.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Maybe 1 is USA, 1 is CN
Director of Amateur Scouting Kris Draper
Chief Amateur Scout Ryan Rezmierski
Chief Amateur Scout Jesse Wallin
They may also be dividing it east/west. Wallin has roots in the west.

Both report to Draper.
Howe remains as Director of Pro scouting.

Reactions: waltdetroit

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
in case this hasnt been seen :
#Canes video coach LJ Scarpace is now with the Red Wings as well. Former University of Michigan Director of Player Development

Max Bultman
@m_bultman
3h
Looks like former Harvard asst. Rob Rassey and former Saskatoon Blades Asst. Bryce Thoma have been added as amateur scouts as well, per the team’s website

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman changes:

Hired:
- GM - Steve Yzerman (54 year-old, TBL General Manager)
- Assistant GM - Pat Verbeek (55 year-old, TBL assistant GM, Director of Player Personnel)
- Chief Amateur scout - Ryan Rezmierski (48 year-old, NSH amateur scout, former USNTDP Director of player Personnel)
- Chief Amateur Scout - Jesse Wallin (41 year-old, STL amateur scout, former Red Deer Rebels WHL Head Coach/GM)
- Scout - Bryce Thoma (37 year-old, former Saskatoon Blades/Red Deer Rebels Assistant coach, played ECHL level as defenceman.
- Scout - Rob Rassey (34 year-old, current Harvard University NCAA ass. Coach)
- Pro Scout Chris Yzerman (TBL pro/amateur scout)
- Pro Scout Kyle MacKinnon (31 year-old, played his last hockey season 1 year ago at Germany)
- Head of Goaltending scouting and Development - Phil Osaer (39 year-old, TBL goaltending scout, former Michigan University Director of Hockey operations)
- Video coach - LJ Scarpace (ex-CAR video coach)
- Director of sports science and human performance - Mike Barwis
- European Scout - Thomas Carlsson.

Promoted
- Scouting Director - Kris Draper (DET) (from assistant to GM position)
- Assistant coach - Adam Nightingale (from DET video coach duty)
- Director of player development/assistant director of player personnel - Shawn Horcoff
- Assistant director of player development - Dan Cleary
- Assistant director of player personnel - Jiri Fischer

Kept:
- Assistant GM - Ryan Martin
- Director of European Scouting - Håkan Andersson
- Director of Pro scouting - Mark Howe
- Pro scouts - Kirk Maltby, Bruce Haralson
- Amateur scouts - Kelly Harper, Brendan Flemming, Mark Mullen, Ross Yates, Marty Stein, Kevin Gibson
- Kept all European scouts, Vladimir Havluj, Antonin Routa, Nikolai Vakourov

Walked away:
Ken Holland - GM ( -->EDM)
Archie Henderson - Pro Scout ( -->EDM)

Fired:
Tyler Wright - Scouting Director ( -->EDM)
Jeff Finley - Chief Amateur Scout ( -->WPG)
Andrew Dickson - Amateur scout ( -->?)
Glenn Merkosky - Pro Scout ( -->retired?)
Patrick Ferschweiler - Assistant Coach ( --> NCAA Western Michigan, U18 USA Head coach)

EDIT:

Fixed Carlsson.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems odd that both Jiri Fischer and Shawn Horcoff are these "Associate directors of player personnel" and there isn't Director of player personnel named.

But I expect they will work under Pat Verbeek, who had this Director of player personnel title at Tampa Bay.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I really like getting scouts from teams that have drafted good defensemen. I think Stevie is really trying to build from the blue line out, since we already have a few solid young forwards.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
per MLive:

Rob Rassey, Bryce Thomas and Kevin Gibson were added to the amateur scouting staff. Phil Osaer was named head of goaltending scouting and development. Thomas Carlsson was added to the European scouting staff headed by Hakan Andersson.

Reactions: decaguard

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tyler Wright's contract expired and I would be very surprised if he was interested in renewing it himself @Henkka so not sure I agree with that categorization. He followed Holland after his contract expired.
It's largely semantics. If Holland hadn't taken the Edmonton job I'm 100% confident Wright wouldn't have been retained. Large swaths of his the scouting department have been replaced. Draper was a very hot commodity within the DRW community and it's clear Yzerman and Ilitch wanted to promote him in to Wright's spot.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's largely semantics. If Holland hadn't taken the Edmonton job I'm 100% confident Wright wouldn't have been retained. Large swaths of his the scouting department have been replaced. Draper was a very hot commodity within the DRW community and it's clear Yzerman and Ilitch wanted to promote him in to Wright's spot.

Understand the point, I just was not sure Wright was going to stay without Holland in charge. He should have had some options while you cannot say homerun stuff his work in Columbus and Detroit was going to open more opportunities for him if he wanted to move on. I don't think he was in the same dire position as some of the pro scouting staff and other guys we have turned over I guess was a part of what I was getting at. But you're right in terms of it depending how you view it. Extremely excited for Draper to be in charge of this area, if he excels at it, he is going to run his own NHL team at some point in my opinion.

Reactions: hkydave04

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Interesting that Håkan added a second Swedish scout in Carlsson, and not some young kid but an experienced guy with 10 seasons of NHL scouting (ARI, STL).

Phil Osaer was signed by Tampa just last year so he must be a guy who Stevie really wanted.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Interesting that Håkan added a second Swedish scout in Carlsson, and not some young kid but an experienced guy with 10 seasons of NHL scouting (ARI, STL).

Phil Osaer was signed by Tampa just last year so he must be a guy who Stevie really wanted.

It looks to me like Yzerman has a little more organizational budget to work with in terms of staff. Happy the Ilitch family has green-lighted that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Makes sense when you look at how hard we hit Europe in this last draft. Seems like that will be a focal point for us in the later rounds, and I absolutely love it.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Hakan expects to spend less time in Sweden himself? Maybe hiring his replacement with the ideas of moving on either Stateside with the Wings or jump to a new org - Edmonton? - when his contract with us is up?

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Seems like a hellvua lot of the staff has Detroit/Michigan connections or roots. Not like it's a bad thing - it's easier to lure guys home from other orgs and then keep guys here vs moving up for a nominal promotion elsewhere.

Phil Osaer (Livonia)
Rezmierski (Ann Arbor, University of Michigan)
Adam Nightingale (Cheboygan)
LJ Scarpace (Dearborn/University of Michigan)
Rassey (Shelby Township)
Gibson (Grosse Pointe)
Barwis (University of Michigan)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It looks to me like Yzerman has a little more organizational budget to work with in terms of staff. Happy the Ilitch family has green-lighted that.
Yeah, I don't care one bit about the Tigers however it seems like Tiger fans are pretty salty right now. As a die hard DRW fan it's great to see the Ilitch family spend in areas where they cannot be constrained by a salary cap.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yzerman corps in playing roster:

XXX - Yzerman - Verbeek
XXX - Horcoff - Cleary
XXX - Draper - Maltby

Fischer - Wallin
Howe - XXX
XXX - XXX

Yzerman, Verbeek, Draper, Maltby, Fischer and Wallin were on the same team at seasons 1999-00 and 2000-01.

Reactions: waltdetroit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yzerman corps in playing roster:

XXX - Yzerman - Verbeek
XXX - Horcoff - Cleary
XXX - Draper - Maltby

Fischer - Wallin
Howe - XXX
XXX - XXX

Yzerman, Verbeek, Draper, Maltby, Fischer and Wallin were on the same team at seasons 1999-00 and 2000-01.

Mark Howe is a HHOF, sorry he is on the first pair...

See we can even debate this setup.:laugh:

This does make me think though, how long before Mickey talks about the alumni being more competitive. I know Yzerman doesn't really skate but not sure on Verbeek and some of the other guys he has brought back, think it comes up in our first or second blowout loss.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Was I the only one who didn't mind Tyler Wright?

I know he was already gone, but I think people think Detroit was doing bad on drafting, when they were actually doing pretty well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where are you getting this from? He’s been very adamant on being based there for years now.

Honestly that's the only thing that's stalled his promotion to bigger NHL jobs. He easily has the resume to run all scouting for a team, maybe even move in GM duties, but him wanting to stay in Sweden limits that.

I'm excited it looks like Yzerman is not only leaning on his experience with our early draft picks but giving him more resources. I'd be surprised to see Hakan want to leave a job where he gets to stay in Europe but still operate with the autonomy and importance Yzerman is giving him.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
bit off topic but Hakans age always surprises me with how long he's been around

somehow the guys only like 2 months older than Yzerman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad