Rumor: Kreider's NO Trade List includes ALL Canadian teams (Speculation on Destination)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Nothing wrong with this request. If I was a nhl player I wouldn’t want to play in Canada’s either other then my home town. No joke.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yeah when you could go to Colorado, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh and all those other balmy destinations.....
Colorado has very nice warm weather most of the year, with snowstorms for skiing in the winter. It's nowhere close to Det or Pit lol. Also our winters seem mild in comparison, pretty rare to drop below 0, or even 10.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
all these dainty little americans too scared to come play in Canada.

"another country? Grossssss"

meanwhile all these euros and russians leave everything they know to become elite hockey players. And they're the ones who are labeled as soft etc.

lmao

Reactions: DaStinger

snag

Feb 22, 2014
It's Canada, not Hong Kong.

I went to Minot, ND to a Burger King. Ordered gravy.

Them: "Why d'ya want gravy?"
Me: "For my fries"
Them: "Yer not from around here are you?"
Me: "You realize you are like half an hour from Canada, right?"

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

meanwhile all these euros and russians leave everything they know to become elite hockey players. And they're the ones who are labeled as soft etc.

lmao

You'd want to leave Russia or some other European crap hole in a second if you actually lived there.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I assume the biggest reason would be the taxation rate in Canada, but also the unfamiliarity of living in a different country with different currency, food, culture, etc. the unknown is always a little intimidating, I get using your NTC to help alleviate and anxiety with the unknown.
Places like Toronto probably have more in common with places like NYC and Boston (where Kreider has lived most of his adult life), than a bunch of American cities he could potentially be traded to.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I can understand this.

With the exception of Toronto (which has its own problems when you play hockey there), you are not getting anything close to a city experience in any of the other Canadian cities. This is especially true of Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton. Those cities are basically just connected suburbs. Calgary is great if you like rural and/or winter outdoors stuff, but if you want a city, it's not the place for you.

It also seems to me like a lot of the players from the Boston and NJ areas love the New England/NYC experience and want to stay local. The culture in Canada is totally different.

Reactions: NYSPORTS and Estlin

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Places like Toronto probably have more in common with places like NYC and Boston (where Kreider has lived most of his adult life), than a bunch of American cities he could potentially be traded to.

Canadians love to believe this, but it simply isn't true. Within what Canadians would consider a very small distance you have: Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Philadelphia, etc...The culture is very different there.

Toronto definitely has the most to offer in terms of restaurants, night life, etc.. in Canada. However, it's very Canadian. In some ways hyper-Canadian.

Reactions: Estlin

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Canadians love to believe this, but it simply isn't true. Within what Canadians would consider a very small distance you have: Columbus, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Philadelphia, etc...The culture is very different there.

Toronto definitely has the most to offer in terms of restaurants, night life, etc.. in Canada. However, it's very Canadian. In some ways hyper-Canadian.
Except I didn't say it was like Buffalo, Detroit or Cleveland, etc. Which are very different cities from Toronto despite proximity. I pointed specifically with strong livable and vibrant urban-cores such as Boston and NYC.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Except I didn't say it was like Buffalo, Detroit or Cleveland, etc. Which are very different cities from Toronto despite proximity. I pointed specifically with strong livable and vibrant urban-cores such as Boston and NYC.

Yeah...it's not like those either. Toronto is nothing like NYC, firstly. In a lot of ways. Very few cities can claim they have the culture that NYC has. Yes, you can pump up the population of Toronto to 7 million or so, but you have to include places like Hamilton, Brampton, and Mississauga. No one is moving to Toronto for the opportunity to visit Hamilton, Brampton, or Mississauga.

If you love Boston, it's because it's Boston. Toronto is nothing like that either.

All Canadian cities are structured in the same way. You have a city core of varying density. Then you have the sprawling and absolutely boring surrounding suburbs. This happens in some American cities, but not in anywhere close to the same way. For example, NYC has Manhattan, but then various places outside of there that offer a lot. Once again, if you live in Toronto, and didn't have family to see, there is literally no reason you'd want to visit Brampton or even York.

The reason for this breaks down to a lot of reasons. A major one is transportation. The mass transit, air travel, and highway infrastructure in Canada is poor. Travelling from the burbs to the city is a huge hassle.

To add to my other points. Kreider also played NCAA college in an eastern city. Those guys seem to especially love their New England/NYC teams. They always seem very tight with their friends, family, and even their old schools.

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
I can understand this.

With the exception of Toronto (which has its own problems when you play hockey there), you are not getting anything close to a city experience in any of the other Canadian cities. This is especially true of Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and Edmonton. Those cities are basically just connected suburbs. Calgary is great if you like rural and/or winter outdoors stuff, but if you want a city, it's not the place for you.

It also seems to me like a lot of the players from the Boston and NJ areas love the New England/NYC experience and want to stay local. The culture in Canada is totally different.
Have you ever been to Montreal?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah...it's not like those either. Toronto is nothing like NYC, firstly. In a lot of ways. Very few cities can claim they have the culture that NYC has. Yes, you can pump up the population of Toronto to 7 million or so, but you have to include places like Hamilton, Brampton, and Mississauga. No one is moving to Toronto for the opportunity to visit Hamilton, Brampton, or Mississauga.

If you love Boston, it's because it's Boston. Toronto is nothing like that either.

All Canadian cities are structured in the same way. You have a city core of varying density. Then you have the sprawling and absolutely boring surrounding suburbs. This happens in some American cities, but not in anywhere close to the same way. For example, NYC has Manhattan, but then various places outside of there that offer a lot. Once again, if you live in Toronto, and didn't have family to see, there is literally no reason you'd want to visit Brampton or even York.

The reason for this breaks down to a lot of reasons. A major one is transportation. The mass transit, air travel, and highway infrastructure in Canada is poor. Travelling from the burbs to the city is a huge hassle.

To add to my other points. Kreider also played NCAA college in an eastern city. Those guys seem to especially love their New England/NYC teams. They always seem very tight with their friends, family, and even their old schools.
Most American cities are even more suburb built than Canadian cities. Especially, when it comes to where wealth is located. Just look at Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. I mean, are you seriously unaware of the urban sprawl created by the 1960's race riots in multiple American cities, while also destroying the tax base of urban areas. Detroit is a prime example of this.

The point was downtown cores with vibrant nightlife and options. Something Toronto offers more than most American NHL cities. Yes, nothing is NYC options wise, the only city that can compare that is English speaking is London. No city Kreider can be traded to will compared to NYC on that level. But, there aren't many NHL cities that offer a vibrant downtown core similar to Toronto.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Most American cities are even more suburb built than Canadian cities. Especially, when it comes to where wealth is located. Just look at Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Philadelphia, Detroit, etc. I mean, are you seriously unaware of the urban sprawl created by the 1960's race riots in multiple American cities, while also destroying the tax base of urban areas. Detroit is a prime example of this.

The point was downtown cores with vibrant nightlife and options. Something Toronto offers more than most American NHL cities. Yes, nothing is NYC options wise, the only city that can compare that is English speaking is London. No city Kreider can be traded to will compared to NYC on that level. But, there aren't many NHL cities that offer a vibrant downtown core similar to Toronto.

The suburbs in the USA have a lot more character and things to do than any of the Canadian neighbourhoods. Suburbs in Dallas, Houston, etc... all feel like almost little mini-cities with great restaurants, attractions, bars, etc... Many have their own local sports teams and stadiums.

There is nothing going on in the burbs in Canada. This applies to even the more exciting cities like Toronto and Montreal.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

lmao
Lot of dainty Canadians don't want to play there either.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Have you ever been to Montreal?

Go there once every few years. I walk around the city, do some touristy stuff, get some poutine and smoked meat, etc...However, once you get over that stuff and outgrow the clubs (they are really young there as the drinking age is 18), it's not that different than the other Canadian cities apart from everyone speaking French.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Canadian markets are tough. Need guys that want to have that pressure in Canadian markets. If not, they won't make it anyway. So if Kreider doesn't want the attention, that serves the Canadian markets as well. No point giving up assets for a guy that doesn't want the attention of a Canadian market.

Reactions: unitedstars87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad