Rumor: Kreider's NO Trade List includes ALL Canadian teams (Speculation on Destination)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The suburbs in the USA have a lot more character and things to do than any of the Canadian neighbourhoods. Suburbs in Dallas, Houston, etc... all feel like almost little mini-cities with great restaurants, attractions, bars, etc... Many have their own local sports teams and stadiums.

There is nothing going on in the burbs in Canada. This applies to even the more exciting cities like Toronto and Montreal.
Except, I pointed to the downtown cores/core's of the city, which are much more vibrant than most American cities. And, the suburbs are rarely interesting. It is the same chains recycled in strip malls with the occasional unique main street. A bunch of American cities downtown core turn into ghost-towns after the 9-5 weekdays.

Most people who play for the Leafs don't live in the suburbs. They live in expensive downtown condo's or if they have a family, live in wealthy neighborhoods in which were built in the early 1900's such as Lawrence Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill, etc. They don't live in Vaughn or Oakville. And, I mean, the Toronto suburbs do have minor league teams (Raptors 905) and a ton of OHL affiliates. American suburbs do have NFL teams due to the need for land, but if you want to call things like Arlington interesting around the stadium, I doubt you've been there. It has an NFL stadium, a Baseball stadium, 6 flags and a bunch of parking lots. Bills are in Orchard Park which is essentially a ghost town when the Bills aren't playing.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Kreider knows his reputation will go down the toilet if he is traded to a Canadian team and blows.

Keeping his stock up for his next contract. Smart move.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kreider knows his reputation will go down the toilet if he is traded to a Canadian team and blows.

Keeping his stock up for his next contract. Smart move.

giphy.gif

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Could it be that he's just looking at history here, and seeing that no Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993? And that he perhaps wants to win a Cup at some point?

Reactions: ecemleafs and Kupo

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Could it be that he's just looking at history here, and seeing that no Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993? And that he perhaps wants to win a Cup at some point?

That would make sense save for the fact that where a team is from has no bearing on winning a cup. None of the teams are contenders at the moment though.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Actually glad to hear this. Wouldn’t want to pay the price for him. Edmonton season is over now that Klefbom is out anyways

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Actually glad to hear this. Wouldn’t want to pay the price for him. Edmonton season is over now that Klefbom is out anyways
Wow you guys are giving up on the season? In a mediocre pacific division? I know its a big loss on defense but still.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Except, I pointed to the downtown cores/core's of the city, which are much more vibrant than most American cities. And, the suburbs are rarely interesting. It is the same chains recycled in strip malls with the occasional unique main street. A bunch of American cities downtown core turn into ghost-towns after the 9-5 weekdays.

Most people who play for the Leafs don't live in the suburbs. They live in expensive downtown condo's or if they have a family, live in wealthy neighborhoods in which were built in the early 1900's such as Lawrence Park, Rosedale, Forest Hill, etc. They don't live in Vaughn or Oakville. And, I mean, the Toronto suburbs do have minor league teams (Raptors 905) and a ton of OHL affiliates. American suburbs do have NFL teams due to the need for land, but if you want to call things like Arlington interesting around the stadium, I doubt you've been there. It has an NFL stadium, a Baseball stadium, 6 flags and a bunch of parking lots. Bills are in Orchard Park which is essentially a ghost town when the Bills aren't playing.

Well he’s used to the suburbs of Boston and NYC, which are packed with wealthy townships with vibrant village night life, bars, restaurants, breweries, etc. so perhaps he’s got unrealistic hopes for his next destination. Or plans on hitting free agency and returning to Boston or something like that.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

And that's my point.

If you add up the whole of what an American city, particularly one near the east coast, your are getting more than what you care getting, because there is more to them than just the downtown core. The fact that all the hockey players all live there just proves my point

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
People are acting like it's the lifestyle that Kreider doesn't want in Canada. It's not that, the basic fact is he doesn't want to deal with the Media and Rabid Fans. I'm Canadian and I can totally understand why he feels that way.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And that's my point.

If you add up the whole of what an American city, particularly one near the east coast, your are getting more than what you care getting, because there is more to them than just the downtown core. The fact that all the hockey players all live there just proves my point
Except most of those cities have significantly smaller downtown cores and nightlife, which you seem to be ignoring by primarily focusing on the vibrancy of suburbs.

Those areas aren't really downtown core either. They are very accessible to downtown but aren't part of downtown (unless we are talking NYC or Chicago). I mean, only 905ers would even entertain the idea of calling Rosedale, Lawrence Park or Forest Hill part of downtown. They are neighborhoods within the city.

Well he’s used to the suburbs of Boston and NYC, which are packed with wealthy townships with vibrant village night life, bars, restaurants, breweries, etc. so perhaps he’s got unrealistic hopes for his next destination. Or plans on hitting free agency and returning to Boston or something like that.
Toronto's suburbs have significant wealth, and there are multiple things to do and nightlife. It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But, a significant portion of wealthy neighborhoods are located within close proximity of downtown compared to most American cities.

But, the main point is, going from NYC to Toronto isn't a massive shock culturally like the original person I responded too. It's probably a bigger shock going from NYC to Buffalo and they are in the same state. Yeah, NYC to Edmonton or Winnipeg would be huge, but, there are no other NHL cities that really offer what NYC does, but, in regards to vibrant downtowns which are livable with great nightlife, you could do a lot worse. I can see avoiding it for tax reasons (although depending on where he is living in NYC, taxes wouldn't be much worse), and not liking the hassle of having to constantly cross the border/deal with customs.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Wow you guys are giving up on the season? In a mediocre pacific division? I know its a big loss on defense but still.

Perhaps not giving up but I’d be hesitant to move our first as our record without Klefbom is bad and making the playoffs is far from a guarantee.

If we can add a 3C or top 6 winger with term, sure. Rentals no thanks

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I always chuckle when I see guys who won’t play for any Canadian teams most often due to the pressure & attention (don’t know his reasoning).......makes me think thank god we didn’t trade for that guy.

or, ya know, not great places to live and bad taxes

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad