Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kreider is definitely not as good, but my guess is he goes to Boston with an extension in place and gets a similar package as Stone
We'll see. His production in his last 30 games has definitely justified a high deadline price.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
That's unloading the bus no doubt for a UFA. Not a Chance Sweeney would give all that up.

Mark Stone as a UFA only went for a 2nd in a much weaker draft year,Branstrom and Lindberg and he was a sign and trade.
Thats what the Rangers asking price is. The Bruins have very few good prospects. Guys like Senyshyn and Zboril have zero value so if the Bruins do get Kreider it is gonna hurt.

I would still do it because we get to keep Studnicka and already have a shit ton of LHD. That 1st round pick would probably be a late one too.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Just resign Kreider , Grots. He’s worth way more to this team that whatever junk Colorado or Boston are willing to offer. And I’d hate to see him in a Bruins sweater anyway.

Best thing would be to trade him for a huge return, he is a bust as a rental, price comes down and Rangers sign him in July for like 6 and 6.5 million.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd say from Colorado if a deal goes down it'll be along the lines of:

1st + Kaut(Potential Kreider replacement as well) + Ranta + Conditional 2021 3rd(Simply based on whether he re-signs or not).

Pretty solid haul for a rental but Kreider is pretty much the only legit Top 6 rental option this year so he will fetch an extra asset simply off that factor.

Kaut is more likely a Fast replacement. Kreider is a first line winger.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
If we are asking for Studnicka, Kyrou, Newhook from other teams in contention to trade for Kreider, I don't know why we wouldn't ask for McMichael.
I mean you can ask for the '93 Canadiens, it doesn't mean anyone is going to actually give you any of that.

In 2019 redrafts McMichael regularly goes in the top 10. It's fair to say the team probably values him as a top 4 prospect and is essentially untouchable. If he's getting moved it is not for a rental.

Realistically if you're looking for your Caps proposal it's not going to move the needle for you, it's probably 1st+Johansen+Jensen, and you'll say it's not good enough and we'll move on.

I think that's really the ceiling for a caps offer, it's a first+high/mid prospect+NHL player/Caps salary cap shedding move. I could maaaaaaybe see them agreeing to move Leason instead of of LuJo as the prospect, but I think they're really high on how Leason is very close to NHL ready already.

I just don't think the teams really make sense as trade partners.

Reactions: Maximus

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where are these 2019 re-drafts where McMichael regularly goes top 10? I'm not convinced he'd go any higher than Newhook, who I already said probably doesn't go much higher than he did at the time of the draft. I don't think a re-draft changes as much as you think half a season after the draft.

And I certainly do expect that at least one team, maybe your team, will be the team that offers up a prospect of that caliber. We don't need scraps for Kreider. He's the best rental on the market, and McKenzie already said yesterday that the price is a first round pick, a good prospect, a lesser prospect, and a conditional pick. Thats a lot more than you and fans of other teams in contention want to offer, so either Kreider stays with the Rangers or he's going to go for more than fans want to pay.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Rangers would reply... How bad do you want the cup again? Simple, pony up or the other 4-5 teams on the other line will.

There's a limit on how much these teams will pay.

The last thing Rangers need is to see him walk this summer.

You'll get a 1st+ no problem but still keep it realistic.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Where are these 2019 re-drafts where McMichael regularly goes top 10? I'm not convinced he'd go any higher than Newhook, who I already said probably doesn't go much higher than he did at the time of the draft. I don't think a re-draft changes as much as you think half a season after the draft.

And I certainly do expect that at least one team, maybe your team, will be the team that offers up a prospect of that caliber. We don't need scraps for Kreider. He's the best rental on the market, and McKenzie already said yesterday that the price is a first round pick, a good prospect, a lesser prospect, and a conditional pick. Thats a lot more than you and fans of other teams in contention want to offer, so either Kreider stays with the Rangers or he's going to go for more than fans want to pay.
McKenzie said the asking price.

Again you’re conflating asking price for what you’re actually getting, they’re rarely the same.

I don’t think there’s much precedent for even the top rental getting that much at the TDL.

Here’s a ranking that has him 20th of all NHL prospects, if the draft was today he’d be top 10 pick.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
I wouldn't trade Kreider unless the price is right. He is playing the best hockey of his career and has finally became the 30-30 guy we've been hoping he would become.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
There are other things to factor into all this. The Rangers currently are 6 points out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand on Florida and 3 on Toronto and Columbus--one of those Atlantic teams will make the playoffs but none of them are playing well. Toronto's been a tire fire since losing Rielly and Jones was a massive loss for Columbus. The Rangers are healthy and have been playing well which can't be said about most all the teams directly ahead of them. We have a very good offense and with Shesterkin taking over in net--he's been 7-1. It's a reach but not inconceivable that the Rangers sneak in but it's a much bigger reach for them to do it without Kreider. I think that has to be weighing on Gorton and the coaching staff's mind---so biting the bullet and giving Kreider more or less what he wants on a contract is still very much a possibility and more likely if the Rangers don't get a package back for him that they consider worthwhile for his services. The Rangers have not given up hopes of making the playoffs and they will try.

So we'll see--we're down to 3 or 4 days now. I would be shocked about one thing though and that's them taking back any kind of cap dump or veteran player they don't need whose contract extends beyond this year. They simply can't afford to---so no Nick Jensen---no David Backes. They're deal killers.

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
This really f*cking sucks. I've watched Kreider come up on this Rangers team and from the second he played his first shift I fell in love with him as a player and the way he plays the game of Hockey. An ultimate rare hybrid of a player or what Pierre McGuire would call a "Cerebral humanoid". It's not often you have power forwards who are as fast as he is. He's been my favorite Ranger and favorite Hockey player for years now and nobody around the league brought enough good light or attention to him because he's "A dirty goon", a "cheap prick" or any of the other hundreds of things people call him while expressing their displeasure with him. Now in the 19-20 NHL season people are salivating watching him play and he's the talk of the league. He's the best asset available and people act like he's worth almost next to nothing. It's like having a girlfriend who's now suddenly getting all this attention from other guys. I'm gonna actually cry when I read that he's been traded. No other trade has actually hurt me. It sucked to see Mac go, it sucked to see Zucc go I guess, but Chris f*cking Kreids? My bilingual bull? For measly throw in's like DANTON f*ckING HEINEY? OH GOD.....I'M GONNA THROW UP
You should know by now to never fall for a player

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
There are other things to factor into all this. The Rangers currently are 6 points out of a playoff spot with 2 games in hand on Florida and 3 on Toronto and Columbus--one of those Atlantic teams will make the playoffs but none of them are playing well. Toronto's been a tire fire since losing Rielly and Jones was a massive loss for Columbus. The Rangers are healthy and have been playing well which can't be said about most all the teams directly ahead of them. We have a very good offense and with Shesterkin taking over in net--he's been 7-1. It's a reach but not inconceivable that the Rangers sneak in but it's a much bigger reach for them to do it without Kreider. I think that has to be weighing on Gorton and the coaching staff's mind---so biting the bullet and giving Kreider more or less what he wants on a contract is still very much a possibility and more likely if the Rangers don't get a package back for him that they consider worthwhile for his services. The Rangers have not given up hopes of making the playoffs and they will try.

So we'll see--we're down to 3 or 4 days now. I would be shocked about one thing though and that's them taking back any kind of cap dump or veteran player they don't need whose contract extends beyond this year. They simply can't afford to---so no Nick Jensen---no David Backes. They're deal killers.

It would be straight up brutal if Rangers kept him as their deadline rental.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It would be straight up brutal if Rangers kept him as their deadline rental.

That won't happen. Kreider will either sign a deal Gorton is comfortable with, or he will be traded for the best offer.

Reactions: BB88

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006

I have a close friend who is a Rangers fan and she is thinking like this about the Rangers and as an unbiased observer, its so wrong. The Rangers may be close to a playoff spot, but they are not a good team. Kreider is likely not going to be a factor on the next great Rangers team which is probably 4-5 years away. They have some nice players but their young players/prospect pool is really where they will build something good in the future. If they try to sneak into the playoffs (and this is still a long shot) by not trading Kreider they will get absolutely leveled in the first round by Tampa or Boston and will have lost out on a chance at a 1st rounder and a good prospect. I really like Kreider. I'd be willing to pay the price to get him because I think he's a difference maker at 28 yo and my team is a cup contender. The Rangers have a chance at being there as well when guys like Lundkvist, Miller, Kratsov are core players but Kreider will be 32/33 years old before that core is ready to compete for a cup.

This line of thinking is a mistake and for Rangers fan's sakes, I hope Gorton isn't really conflicted about it.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Anyone expecting Studnicka or Newhook as part of the return is just setting themselves up for disappointment.

IMO, absolute BEST case scenario for the Rangers is 1st + Kaut or 1st + one of Vaak/Beecher with a conditional thrown in if he re-signs.

There's a handful of fans wanting teams top prospects included in the deal, but most of us NYR fans agree that a 1st plus good prospect is what we're wanting back. The closer the prospect is to making an NHL roster, the better the deal is for us.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Not sure I can recall the last time a top pending UFA was on absolute fire just leading up to the trade deadline; he's made a mess of things for all the other teams in the league looking to buy low lol

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Not sure I can recall the last time a top pending UFA was on absolute fire just leading up to the trade deadline; he's made a mess of things for all the other teams in the league looking to buy low lol
better for the Rangers, resign him or trade him. no way they lose Kreider for nothing.

Reactions: bl02

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

But low?
As people love to mention he's been seen as the top UFA this whole time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
McKenzie said the asking price.

Again you’re conflating asking price for what you’re actually getting, they’re rarely the same.

I don’t think there’s much precedent for even the top rental getting that much at the TDL.

Here’s a ranking that has him 20th of all NHL prospects, if the draft was today he’d be top 10 pick.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-top-100-prospects-ranking/

He didn't say asking price, he said that's what Kreider will fetch. The asking price is likely even higher than what he said.

And I'm not sure one flimsy list of the top 100 prospects proves your point. I think his draft position not even a year ago is a lot more indicative of how the league values him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad