Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If the Rangers can sign him at under $7m for 5 years, they should sign him. A late first and a prospect isn't going to replace what he brings. The exception I would make would be St. Louis 1st and Kyrou.
The time for this team is the next 5 years. Kreider can play an important role. I don't see his return playing the same role, unless lightning strikes and when was the last time that happened for the Rangers.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If the Rangers can sign him at under $7m for 5 years, they should sign him. A late first and a prospect isn't going to replace what he brings. The exception I would make would be St. Louis 1st and Kyrou.
The time for this team is the next 5 years. Kreider can play an important role. I don't see his return playing the same role, unless lightning strikes and when was the last time that happened for the Rangers.

The length term is far more important to me than the cap hit. Overpaid by a million - who cares? If we can get the term down I'm all for keeping him, unless we're getting something immediate that has a chance of stepping in next season.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Trade him for the assets and then re-sign him. One is not dependent on the other
How many times has that happened? If you don’t make an honest effort to keep a player by offering an extension they aren’t going to feel particularly wanted.

Reactions: haveandare

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I imagine Kreider would take a discount to stay. And Rangers need top 6 talent. Boston doesn’t have any prospects that would help this void. Beecher, Studnicka, Frederic will all be bottom 6 talent. Go ahead and bookmark this if you think I’m wrong. Hate to say it but I think they should move DeAngelo. Lundkvist, Fox and Trouba are solid right side dmen. DeAngelo for a solid cheap winger or better yet package him with Strome, for a legit second line center or 2 solid wingers and hope Chytil can step up.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Is that all the Rangers want ? At that cost,I say wait until July and than sign him......and look at some one else for this season .

Is it too much? Rangers can throw in one or 2 of their prospects to help this and remember Backes is a significant negative trade value.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
How many times has that happened? If you don’t make an honest effort to keep a player by offering an extension they aren’t going to feel particularly wanted.

I think it is not unrealistic. I believe it did happen to several players few times. If he really likes the team and the city then I see no reason why he would not re-sign.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think it is not unrealistic. I believe it did happen to several players few times. If he really likes the team and the city then I see no reason why he would not re-sign.
Because he reportedly wants to stay and is willing to take a discount. They say no and move him anyway, that sours the relationship.

Plus, a player may not want to leave but then they play somewhere else, make new relationships, realize it’s not so bad. Then July rolls around and half the league makes offers maybe including teams they grew up liking, teams they have good friends on, teams where they can win sooner, etc.

If a guy moves at the deadline you can safely bet they’re gone.

Reactions: Guttersniped

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I imagine Kreider would take a discount to stay. And Rangers need top 6 talent. Boston doesn’t have any prospects that would help this void. Beecher, Studnicka, Frederic will all be bottom 6 talent. Go ahead and bookmark this if you think I’m wrong. Hate to say it but I think they should move DeAngelo. Lundkvist, Fox and Trouba are solid right side dmen. DeAngelo for a solid cheap winger or better yet package him with Strome, for a legit second line center or 2 solid wingers and hope Chytil can step up.
Lundkvist has played zero games in North America. Moving DeAngelo for him is beyond premature

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
You have the lottery numbers too, help a brother out.

Reactions: DutchNYR and Estlin

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Because he reportedly wants to stay and is willing to take a discount. They say no and move him anyway, that sours the relationship.

Plus, a player may not want to leave but then they play somewhere else, make new relationships, realize it’s not so bad. Then July rolls around and half the league makes offers maybe including teams they grew up liking, teams they have good friends on, teams where they can win sooner, etc.

Can you show me any source of him saying he would be willing to take a discount

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

they can discuss it with him and his agent a scenario where they trade him and then try to re-sign him.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
they can discuss it with him and his agent a scenario where they trade him and then try to re-sign him.
Yeah but they can’t discuss it knowing how he’ll feel after he lives and plays somewhere else for a while. And they can’t contractually agree to it until July 1 when all the other offers come in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad