Dreger: Kreider most likely to be traded after contract talks. 1st Rounder on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No, but putting your eggs in that basket isn't a very good idea.

1. You can't tell a player that. This isn't a hush-hush situation. If word got out and an investigation was done, NYR would be in big trouble here, potentially punished with a 1st round draft pick taken away.

2. You risk teams having a window to talk to Kreider when the season ends. An offer too good for Kreider to pass up may become available.
Oh well, he's going to get an insane contract anyway, the assests will be fine and i'll wish a Chris a good career somewhere else.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
.. It makes no sense in any way shape or form to keep him without getting assets. If he wants to be a Ranger he can just sign in July again with us.

i get your point and it would be great if he Chapman-ed and NYR got a free Gleyber

but if he will re-sign for 6yrs/$40M or less,
i am ok with retaining him and not running the risk

he's part of the team's identity, and harder to replace than any of the other guys they've moved out, and that's with acknowledging how hard it's been to replace McD

of course i want NYR to gather more young weapons, especially up front,
maybe dealing Skjei or a goalie and lesser guys like Strome or Fast do that

we are seeing with Buch and Kakko, and Chytil and Kravtsov, that being a talented forward doesn't mean you will have Kreider-like effect right away

IF CK is the exception, the guy who sticks around from the prior core, of those 5-6 great seasons, that's maybe the right call.
He was the youngest, turning pro for the 2011 playoffs as a recent 1st rounder, and playing 18 games.
He's been an invaluable mentor to this youngest team in the NHL, while producing like a star.

At times this season, NYR have shown how well they can compete with the best teams, He is among the reasons why.
When NYR are ready to contend, say beginning '21-22, he will be just turned 30,
He has always been remarkable fit, skates amazing, has no fear, and makes things happen.

If he goes, i know NYR will get back more high-upside assets.
But if he stays, they retain a proven high upside asset into the next phase.

we'll know more in 12 days ....

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think this is posturing. Make it look like they plan to keep him and only a big offer can pry him away. Smart.
I don't know, they signed Panarin...not sure why they wouldn't least try to re-sign Kreider. I won't say i watch a lot of Rangers games, but during the last Leafs/Rangers game, Kreider was the guy i noticed the most.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
@The Crypto Guy

I know you have plenty of prospects, but you aren’t getting a quality D-man in his early prime+1st+ prospect (value)for UFA.

Grzelcyk could be a quality player for you for years, not all prospects hit as you should very well know and good D-men are always in demand in trade market

You can keep Grzelcyk. Rangers already have a cheaper version of him in Lindgren who has played very well for us. Thanks for the concern though.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
I don't know, they signed Panarin...not sure why they wouldn't least try to re-sign Kreider. I won't say i watch a lot of Rangers games, but during the last Leafs/Rangers game, Kreider was the guy i noticed the most.

Thats fair. They aren’t exactly in full rebuild, spent a ton on Trouba and Panarin and I suspect the plan this year was compete for a playoff spot

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You can keep Grzelcyk. Rangers already have a cheaper version of him in Lindgren who has played very well for us. Thanks for the concern though.

As I said before must be nice to be a fan of a team where Grzelcyk as a throw in gives no value or use.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I'm gonna guess Vancouver looks into Kreider. Would be a good pick-up, then send Pearson to the Rangers along with a 2nd and 4th.

if Pearson is sent along as a Cap dump, whatever, he doesn't really count, NYR dont need him, would bury or flip him

NYR looking for young forwards, preferably not vulnerable to Seattle draft - Madden, Lind as fair examples to come along with picks

Nash was past his prime and brought back a 1st, Lindgren, Spooner and Beleskey (the Pearson-esque Cap relief)

acquiring Kreider will not come without significant cost
look at recent history at TDL

Canucks are in an exciting spot, don't know if you guys expected this much so soon,
but good job by Travis Green, and NYR old friend JTM is putting all that skill and energy together for you guys

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
No, but putting your eggs in that basket isn't a very good idea.

1. You can't tell a player that. This isn't a hush-hush situation. If word got out and an investigation was done, NYR would be in big trouble here, potentially punished with a 1st round draft pick taken away.

2. You risk teams having a window to talk to Kreider when the season ends. An offer too good for Kreider to pass up may become available.

It's the most appealing basket to put them in. Getting assets we can use to further stock the farm OR trade for a good roster player (Trouba, Fox, Zucker are all very recent examples of this) and possibly resign Kreider to a reasonable deal is the best case scenario. Kreider has months left before he can explore free agency, I don't see any way he doesn't at least explore the market on July 1st after already getting this close.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
As I said before must be nice to be a fan of a team where Grzelcyk as a throw in gives no value or use.

If he’s that valuable, you should want to keep him then, no? Especially for that deep playoff run the Bruins are trying to go on. Sounds like the exact type of player needed for one of those.

Also, the Rangers need younger players with more upside. Not 26 year old RFA’s to be requiring raises, especially significant ones, like you’re alluding to with his play.

But go off, do your thing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If he’s that valuable, you should want to keep him then, no? Especially for that deep playoff run the Bruins are trying to go on. Sounds like the exact type of player needed for one of those.

Also, the Rangers need younger players with more upside. Not 26 year old RFA’s to be requiring raises, especially significant ones, like you’re alluding to with his play.

But go off, do your thing.

I wasn't offering him.
I'd be damm mad at Sweeney if he was offering the proposed package.

The offer had 1st+ Frederic+ Grzelcyk, how much do you exactly expect for UFA Kreider, 3 1st's?

Boston went to finals last Yea and if someone offered a young controlled top4 as a free trade chip of course I'd take him.
You know other trades are allowed.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I wasn't offering him.
I'd be damm mad at Sweeney if he was offering the proposed package.

The offer had 1st+ Frederic+ Grzelcyk, how much do you exactly expect for UFA Kreider, 3 1st's?

Boston went to finals last Yea and if someone offered a young controlled top4 as a free trade chip of course I'd take him.
You know other trades are allowed.

The Rangers don't have space for him this season or next as is. He's making 1.4 but is a RFA after this season and will want a raise. Rangers have 7.5 mil in dead cap space next season. Unless the Bruins are taking Staal or Smith (or i guess Lundqvist), there's just not room for him

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Rangers don't have space for him this season or next as is. He's making 1.4 but is a RFA after this season and will want a raise. Rangers have 7.5 mil in dead cap space next season. Unless the Bruins are taking Staal or Smith (or i guess Lundqvist), there's just not room for him

So again you guys aren't familiar at all with trades?

With your guys asking prices Boston should stay far away from Kreider.
He's not good enough to kill a teams future.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
So again you guys aren't familiar at all with trades?

With your guys asking prices Boston should stay far away from Kreider.
He's not good enough to kill a teams future.

So again, you're not reading what was actually posted, and just going off on tangents?

Reactions: Kupo

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So again, you're not reading what was actually posted, and just going off on tangents?

Sounds like you aren't.

You don't think you could turn around and get a 2nd for Grzelcyk from a playoff team?
You see the.... that gets traded every year, Grzelcyk is a pretty damm good cheap quality depth blue line addition.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Sounds like you aren't.

You don't think you could turn around and get a 2nd for Grzelcyk from a playoff team?
You see the.... that gets traded every year, Grzelcyk is a pretty damm good cheap quality depth blue line addition.

Whether we could or not is immaterial. We aren't going to do your work for you. You can replace him in the deal with a 2nd and trade him somewhere yourself.

He isn't a top pair dman and that's the only type of dman we'd be looking to add right now.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Whether we could or not is immaterial. We aren't going to do your work for you. You can replace him in the deal with a 2nd and trade him somewhere yourself.

He isn't a top pair dman and that's the only type of dman we'd be looking to add right now.

I'm not still offering him.

Kreider isn't the guy to kill your future for.

How many teams are willing to pay 2 1sts straight up for UFA?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I was arguing it would be stupid to not take a free gift.

Except he's not a free gift in this case, he'd be part of the trade return for Kreider. And it's highly unlikely he'd be targeted by the Rangers, for reasons I posted and you ignored

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad