Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Grubauer (5.9M x 6)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Probably because fans (and sometimes even GMs) typically blame playoff loses on the goalie.

I didn't watch that series, so I can't evaluate Grubauer's performance against LGVK.

Well, he gave up a bad goal in game six which tied the game 1-1.

Other than that he was fantasic and nearly stole them game three against Vegas(would've been the 3-0 lead for Colorado) if it hadn't been for a unlucky bounce from a flick behind his net.

The most important thing with him is injuries. If he can stay healthy he's shown to be a very good and consistant goalie in this league.

Also, Ovechkin said that Grubauer is the most talented goalie he's ever played with.
So there's that....:D

Reactions: LokiDog

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Probably because fans (and sometimes even GMs) typically blame playoff loses on the goalie.

I didn't watch that series, so I can't evaluate Grubauer's performance against LGVK.
I had disliked him before he even got to wear an Avs jersey, so it's definitely not because of the Vegas series. The way the whole team was playing in round 2 (minus the first game when the Knights were tired), blaming this year's playoff exit on goaltending would be silly anyway.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
When you're contending for the cup "pretty good" is not good enough. Also, I don't like his attitude, because he tends to blame the team when he's having weaker games.

Was there a better goalie we could have gotten to help us contend for a cup? How many of those are there in the league that become available and want to play for us? Those are important questions to ask.

Has he blamed teammates in a post game interview? I’d be curious to see those comments, wasn’t aware of that reputation.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Was there a better goalie we could have gotten to help us contend for a cup? How many of those are there in the league that become available and want to play for us? Those are important questions to ask.

Has he blamed teammates in a post game interview? I’d be curious to see those comments, wasn’t aware of that reputation.
I don't think he has 'that reputation'. It's just things I've noticed over the years. It's not a big deal, just my personal opinion. He's good enough for our first years. And who knows? Maybe the chance of becoming the first face of a new team will motivate him to reach new heights.

Edit: I missed one of your questions. Yes, he's always blaming the defense or the offense when he had a bad game and gets asked about it. It's never his fault.
2nd edit: I don't know much about his time in Washington. I only payed attention to him when he was wearing Colorado's or Germany's jersey. And I'm just a fan, not someone who knows him personally and not an expert of the sport.

Last edited:

Miracle on Ice

Jul 30, 2021
I'm happy with the Grubbbb signature. He is a great goalie. He has a .920 SP% during is career. With Driedger we have a great tandem a the goalie position. We have to keep in mind that it is important to have to good goalie now in the NHL. Look at the habs that really want to keep Jake Allen. Now we have one of the great duo!

Grub have the 10th highest salary as a goalie in the NHL. Last year he was a finalist for the Vezina trophy. We have a great defence, so i don't think is number will drop a lot from last year. He will give us a chance to win every single game!

Hell of a start for the Kraken!

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, he gave up a bad goal in game six which tied the game 1-1.

Other than that he was fantasic and nearly stole them game three against Vegas(would've been the 3-0 lead for Colorado) if it hadn't been for a unlucky bounce from a flick behind his net.

The most important thing with him is injuries. If he can stay healthy he's shown to be a very good and consistant goalie in this league.

Also, Ovechkin said that Grubauer is the most talented goalie he's ever played with.
So there's that....:D
I thought he was better than all of the Caps goalie in the Ovechkin era including Holtby, so I can't disagree. Kolzig was in the later stages of his career though, in his prime I thought he was better. He carried a very mediocre Caps team to the finals.

Kolzig always blamed everyone else, pretty much all goalies are headcases anyways. You can't blame yourself or otherwise you lose your confidence. Usually they don't do it in public, but Kolzig would yell at his teammates during the game, lol. Not a big deal, teammates will blow it off because it's the goalie.

Edit: Speaking of headcases, the Avs had one of the biggest, Patrick Roy. He's definitely yelled at teammates, and even demanded a trade because he blamed his coach, lol.

Last edited:

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I thought he was better than all of the Caps goalie in the Ovechkin era including Holtby, so I can't disagree. Kolzig was in the later stages of his career though, in his prime I thought he was better. He carried a very mediocre Caps team to the finals.

Kolzig always blamed everyone else, pretty much all goalies are headcases anyways. You can't blame yourself or otherwise you lose your confidence. Usually they don't do it in public, but Kolzig would yell at his teammates during the game, lol. Not a big deal, teammates will blow it off because it's the goalie.

Edit: Speaking of headcases, the Avs had one of the biggest, Patrick Roy. He's definitely yelled at teammates, and even demanded a trade because he blamed his coach, lol.
Well, leaving goalie in after getting shelled is idiotic move. He was raising his arms up to be replaced but the coach was full of himself. Mario Trembley changed history for the worst for the Canadians organization. With Roy gone they went full out mediocre. If your coach and you let this happen bad things will happen. Roy might be known for certain antics but he was a winner.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
About him 'blaming' others I too would like to see/hear examples. If he calls out by name that is not good. If he is saying the defense in general played poorly then that is not near as bad imo.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well, leaving goalie in after getting shelled is idiotic move. He was raising his arms up to be replaced but the coach was full of himself. Mario Trembley changed history for the worst for the Canadians organization. With Roy gone they went full out mediocre. If your coach and you let this happen bad things will happen. Roy might be known for certain antics but he was a winner.
It's pretty much old school coach behavior, they don't let the players control the team, regardless of how petty the situation is. Bowman chased Paul Coffey out, and they almost traded Yzerman but he adapted his game.

Don't get me wrong here, I worked in Denver when they moved. Roy is a top ten goalie in my lifetime, but he's a hot head. Just saying that it's OK to be a hotheaded goalie as long as you can back it up with your play. I don't think it's a concern. I leave you with this:

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-craziest-goalies-in-nhl-history/

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
It's pretty much old school coach behavior, they don't let the players control the team, regardless of how petty the situation is. Bowman chased Paul Coffey out, and they almost traded Yzerman but he adapted his game.

Don't get me wrong here, I worked in Denver when they moved. Roy is a top ten goalie in my lifetime, but he's a hot head. Just saying that it's OK to be a hotheaded goalie as long as you can back it up with your play. I don't think it's a concern. I leave you with this:

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-craziest-goalies-in-nhl-history/
Goalies are not the only crazy ones. In the early days and even more recently of swinging sticks around heads. If you look back of the deaths in hockey related from trauma to the head by opponent swinging stick. They might have antics but did not kill a person.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Goalies are not the only crazy ones. In the early days and even more recently of swinging sticks around heads. If you look back of the deaths in hockey related from trauma to the head by opponent swinging stick. They might have antics but did not kill a person.
There are crazy people everywhere, lol. Just seems like every goalie is crazy though. Think about it, you're playing a position where players are sending pucks at 90+ mph at your head. It's not normal to want that.

My favorite crazies are Al Iafrate and Bob Probert. I also love goalie fights, lol. Let them vent their frustrations on each other.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
There are crazy people everywhere, lol. Just seems like every goalie is crazy though. Think about it, you're playing a position where players are sending pucks at 90+ mph at your head. It's not normal to want that.

My favorite crazies are Al Iafrate and Bob Probert. I also love goalie fights, lol. Let them vent their frustrations on each other.

Funny. And I totally agree with the bolded. But at the end of their careers, goalies are the only ones that end up with a full set of teeth ... :)

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I asked Gru where he bought his hat, told him welcome to Seattle and he's gonna love it, on IG and got a response. He seems like a cool dude. Also, I know HF has a no babe's thread rule, but I dig his style a lot.
IMG_6609.jpg

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well yeah, Olie the Goalie.
Fun times back then.

Roy didn't just ask for a trade because he blamed something on the coach or his teammates.
That coach was absolutely in over his head and came in, together with their new GM, with no NHL experience at all.
The coach left Roy in the game until the 9th goal conceeded(after Roy looked to be replaced after the 5th) and basically tried to humiliate him given that there was some bad blood between them and I think the new GM and Roy.

Because of that Roy went over to the GM and told him that this was his last game for the Canadiens.

Also, there's a nice saying in Germany about goalies(and left wings playing handball) in that they're all a bit crazy.
I mean, you must be if you're OK with guys shooting pucks, balls or whatever at you at full speed while you're trying to stay in the way.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
year 1 is 5m year 2 is 6m year 3 is 7.5m
my guess is they take some of the $$ and drop it into year 2 to get it under 25% or increase the year one salary.

Apparently the team is over by 250k in year 3.

It seem ther was a change in the CBA when it comes to front loaded contracts it used to be 35% then the dropped to 25%.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Wouldn’t imagine it effects Grub signing in Seattle, but it’s pretty odd such a “forward thinking” org from an analytics standpoint can’t do a simple contract.

Well the front loaded contract rules used to be no more than 35% of year one contract. It was dropped to 25% during the last CBA negotiations.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Point still stands. This reportedly number friendly organization making a number error is troublesome when combined with the other behavior.

Or they weren't made aware that the league dropped it from 35% of year 1 to 25% of year 1 during the last CBA discussions. Remember we weren't able to take part of the last CBA discussions since we were still paying off the fee to the league.

Seesh its a minor thing. Don't need to make a massive deal over it.

What other behavior... Oh the whole asking too much for side trades... Seattle wasn't going to throw away cap space like it was a charity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad