Confirmed with Link: Kraken sign Grubauer (5.9M x 6)

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Im defenitely going to follow this team close next season really like the way it is built!reminds me of USA team in Lake Placid 1980 (movie miracle on ice)that no one belived in but competed harder then anyone else and got great succes.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This one is a bit surprising. Clearly Grubaur is far more proven than Driedger so you upgrade there. Driedger is probably better in a 1B role anyway but 3.5M is a bit pricey for that but the goalie prices today have been weird. It also hurts a conference opponent in Colorado. Not sure what the trade market is for Vanecek but if they can get a 2nd + then its a good deal. If they get just a 3rd like Nedeljkovic then not so much. Looks like they missed out on Hamilton.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I feel VERY confident that Kuznetsov isn't who we'd pick up. Doesn't fit the character profile of a Francis acquisition. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward. Definitely a decent looking team.

Reactions: Dog

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Calgary. Edmonton if they buy out Koskinen.

Buffalo. They need goalies ... two of them in fact.
Koskinen has one year left at $4.5M. I wonder how much they'd be willing to pay to shed that salary.

Vanecek for Koskinen + 1st?

That trade has to be worth at least 2 second rounders, probably more.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Koskinen has one year left at $4.5M. I wonder how much they'd be willing to pay to shed that salary.

What exactly should we do with Koskinen?
He would be our third goalie, makes $4.5 M, like you said, and we'd probably have to retain(+ most likely add something) if we wanted to get rid off that contract.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

That is a crappy trade for us. We take on a cap dump and give up a useful RFA goalie for just a 1st. I would rather try to find value for Vanecek in a solo trade OR package him with a different prospect/pick to get value back.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That is a crappy trade for us. We take on a cap dump and give up a useful RFA goalie for just a 1st. I would rather try to find value for Vanecek in a solo trade OR package him with a different prospect/pick to get value back.
Vanacek is backup level goalie, and that typically goes for a 2nd round pick

Grubauer (then a backup but a better goalie obviously) was traded for a 2nd and a cap dump (Orpik) going to Colorado. (Note the cap dump went the opposite direction in this trade.) I think fair value for Vanacek is probably a 2nd and 4th. Ned was traded for a measly 3rd.

Seattle doesn't have any worthwhile prospects, so I don't see that trade happening. Vanacek goes for a draft picks or equivalent value prospect.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Vanacek is backup level goalie, and that typically goes for a 2nd round pick

Grubauer (then a backup but a better goalie obviously) was traded for a 2nd and a cap dump (Orpik) going to Colorado. (Note the cap dump went the opposite direction in this trade.) I think fair value for Vanacek is probably a 2nd and 4th. Ned was traded for a measly 3rd.

Seattle doesn't have any worthwhile prospects, so I don't see that trade happening. Vanacek goes for a draft picks or equivalent value prospect.

Meh. I would argue that he would fetch more than a 2nd round pick so I guess we can agree to disagree with that assessment. Also, based on the the way Kraken have done business so far, I do not think they have any interest at all in taking cap dumps.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Meh. I would argue that he would fetch more than a 2nd round pick so I guess we can agree to disagree with that assessment. Also, based on the the way Kraken have done business so far, I do not think they have any interest at all in taking cap dumps.
Name a trade where a backup goalie has fetched more than a 2nd? I think you're overvaluing the asset. Anything more than a 2nd rd pick is a win.

You're probably right that Francis is not gonna take a cap dump though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Name a trade where a backup goalie has fetched more than a 2nd? I think you're overvaluing the asset. Anything more than a 2nd rd pick is a win.

You're probably right that Francis is not gonna take a cap dump though.
Meh. Martin Jones fetched a late 1st. This was when he was a backup and had really good numbers.

Either way, like we both agree, GMRF is unlikely to take a cap dump.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I keep seeing these weird statements about how Grubauer only had one good season. Looking at his stats, the man had 1 GREAT season and a whole bunch of good seasons with a couple not so great (as a young goalie would). I compared his career stats to any goalie last season and even those are top tier. Great stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad