OT: Kraken OT Lounge: No Calamari allowed

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Anyone here watch Vox Machina? I actually binge watched it when it came out but had no idea it was based on the Critical Role D&D folks. I started watching their campaigns after on youtube. They are so much fun to watch.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anyone here watch Vox Machina? I actually binge watched it when it came out but had no idea it was based on the Critical Role D&D folks. I started watching their campaigns after on youtube. They are so much fun to watch.

I have not seen it, and had no idea that's what it was either. I enjoyed the hell out of what I watched of that first Critical Role campaign. I'll need to look it up. I'd be super interested in watching something that could focus that story into a more consumable amount of time (because OMG THAT SHIT WAS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I have not seen it, and had no idea that's what it was either. I enjoyed the hell out of what I watched of that first Critical Role campaign. I'll need to look it up. I'd be super interested in watching something that could focus that story into a more consumable amount of time (because OMG THAT SHIT WAS LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG)
Yeah. I am definitely a geek at heart but have never played D&D. Growing up in India, we didn't really have that around.

I binge watched the first season of Vox Machina (kind of). They release 3 seasons a week at once and I watched them the same day. Started reading on it and found that it was actually based off the folks from the Critical Role site and under the Geek and Sundry channel on Youtube. Started watching it a few weeks back. They have such insane chemistry with each other. Scanlon and Grog are by far my favorites, LOL.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah. I am definitely a geek at heart but have never played D&D. Growing up in India, we didn't really have that around.

I binge watched the first season of Vox Machina (kind of). They release 3 seasons a week at once and I watched them the same day. Started reading on it and found that it was actually based off the folks from the Critical Role site and under the Geek and Sundry channel on Youtube. Started watching it a few weeks back. They have such insane chemistry with each other. Scanlon and Grog are by far my favorites, LOL.

Since Critical Role was largely a group of voice actors... did they voice their own characters on the series? That'd be cool as hell. I do play a little D&D, but I'm not much of a geek so it's a touch of a stretch for me. I'm far more comfortable in the outdoors doing things one pretends to do in D&D than pretending to do it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Since Critical Role was largely a group of voice actors... did they voice their own characters on the series? That'd be cool as hell. I do play a little D&D, but I'm not much of a geek so it's a touch of a stretch for me. I'm far more comfortable in the outdoors doing things one pretends to do in D&D than pretending to do it.
Yep. All of them voiced their own voices. it was awesome. Well other than Tiberius. Apparently there was some drama during campaign 1 (I read about it) and they essentially parted ways. Though everything I read seems to hint at him pretty much being kicked out.

I could definitely sense some tension starting episode 12 of the first campaign and apparently it came to a head around show 28. There really is no Tiberius on the animated series and also following season 29 in the Youtube/Crit Role channel.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yep. All of them voiced their own voices. it was awesome. Well other than Tiberius. Apparently there was some drama during campaign 1 (I read about it) and they essentially parted ways. Though everything I read seems to hint at him pretty much being kicked out.

I could definitely sense some tension starting episode 12 of the first campaign and apparently it came to a head around show 28. There really is no Tiberius on the animated series and also following season 29 in the Youtube/Crit Role channel.
Definitely going to give it a shot. Having the voice actors having created the characters is the coolest thing ever.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Hi Everyone! My wife and I and are traveling in for the Devils game next Saturday and we’ve never been to Seattle. We’re staying about 5 blocks east of the space needle.

Any recommendations for places to eat/drink and things to do? The only one we know for sure is Pike Place Market, of course.

Also, as part of our quest to visit every NHL arena (this will be #25), we’re trying to collect a paper ticket from every arena. Does anyone know if I was to go to the box office and buy tickets, would they be able to print them? I know all arenas strongly push for digital tickets but I’ve had success at the box office with some of them. Plus like, what happens if your phone is dead?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I mean, there are far worse things in life, but when you get a free meal at work and f***ing DROP IT ALL OVER THE f***ING GROUND on your way to your office... that makes for a shitty day.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anybody seen Pistol on Hulu? Great stuff whether you’re a fan of punk rock or not. Really well made Series that tells a pretty damn compelling story. I had less than high hopes for it and it far exceeded my expectations.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I’m going to be in Seattle, from B.C., for Blue Jays weekend. I’m here to ask for the best deals local to Seattle on gummies. I hope it’s ok to ask here? It’s legal, so this should be like asking beer recommendations. In the Vancouver area here I get ten pieces of 20mg thc gummies for $15cdn on sale day. Normally the price is $20cdn. Delivered to my door. You guys got a good deal there like that?

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I’m going to be in Seattle, from B.C., for Blue Jays weekend. I’m here to ask for the best deals local to Seattle on gummies. I hope it’s ok to ask here? It’s legal, so this should be like asking beer recommendations. In the Vancouver area here I get ten pieces of 20mg thc gummies for $15cdn on sale day. Normally the price is $20cdn. Delivered to my door. You guys got a good deal there like that?
Generally speaking prices don’t differ much. You’ll pay about the same as in your area wherever you go. $15-20 USD for what you mention. As for sales and what not, I can’t help much being from outside the Seattle area.

Which game are you going to? I’m actually headed up for the Thursday game. Will be sitting in the 300’s behind the plate.

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Generally speaking prices don’t differ much. You’ll pay about the same as in your area wherever you go. $15-20 USD for what you mention. As for sales and what not, I can’t help much being from outside the Seattle area.

Which game are you going to? I’m actually headed up for the Thursday game. Will be sitting in the 300’s behind the plate.
I’m coming for Saturday and Sunday. I wanted one behind the plate(last row intentionally because, well I’m not really sure why I did that) and one under the sun on a baseline(3rd this year). I’m bringing a friend to his first MLB games and thought I’d show him both places I sit at your park.

Reactions: tank44

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Well, with the way June has gone for us with record rain and cold… the roof will probably be shut. One thing I think you can count on though are Blue Jays wins.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I have had many free Keystone Lights tonight. I started off hating them… now it’s the best beer on earth. Thought you all should know what you’re missing out on.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
My recent run with Covid was rather rough. Now testing negative and relatively symptom free. Having had malaria, giardia, swine flu and now Covid, the last Covid symptom left is the worst experience of my life when it comes to illness….

I can’t taste SHIT! Sucks so bad. I don’t care if it comes back, unless it comes back in 2 weeks when I’m planning on a vacation heavily involving food. Bummed. Sounds like this shit lasts for 4 weeks or more.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Hopefully you had other beers before the covid hit. Would be a real shame if the last beer you could remember tasting was Keystone.
Thankfully I have about 50% of my taste back. Maybe more. Hard to say really. Doesn’t feel normal yet, but I can enjoy food again.

The last beer I had was a stout. Can’t remember who made it though.

Reactions: sigma six

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I finally got around to trying Kraken rum yesterday. It's sweet, not as sweet as Captain with licorice and slight cough syrup taste. Sorta like if you mixed 2/3 Captain with 1/3 Jaeger. Definitely a cough syrup consistency, pretty thick.

I'd drink it if someone offered it to me, but don't like it enough to buy a bottle.

Reactions: sigma six

Petey But Really Jim

Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Well, with the way June has gone for us with record rain and cold… the roof will probably be shut. One thing I think you can count on though are Blue Jays wins.
This aged quite well for you. 😡 not for me!

SO. Any of you going to The Killers show tomorrow night?

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
From BC. will be in Seattle for a conference arriving October 16 at 10am. flight back 6am Wednesday.

likely won’t be able to go to the Hurricanes game. What else is fun downtown?

Staying at the Charter by Hilton. decent hotel? anything fun nearby?

what time will i need to leave downtown for a Canadian flight at 6am?

thanks!!

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
From BC. will be in Seattle for a conference arriving October 16 at 10am. flight back 6am Wednesday.

Staying at the Charter by Hilton. decent hotel, anything fun nearby?

thanks!! (Go Nucks!)

Space needle, pike place market etc.

Flight exactly at 6am? About 2-3 hours ish more towards the 3 hours for international flight.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Space needle, pike place market etc.

Flight exactly at 6am? About 2-3 hours ish more towards the 3 hours for international flight.
yeah pretty crazy. another $600 just for a few hours of sleep. meh. it’s the taxpayers money, not my own.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Staying at the Charter by Hilton. decent hotel? anything fun nearby?

thanks!!

Cross your fingers hard enough and you could attend playoff baseball, but it won't be cheap. Game 4 of the Division Series is on Sunday, likely not long after your arrival.

Seahawks are also in town on Sunday it would appear, but you'll need to sacrifice children and sell your house to go.

I realize that's a tough sell. If the crazy high cost of going to the Kraken game is the prohibitor... you can watch from outside the arena, or just watch part of the game from outside the arena if you are avoiding buying tickets due to not being able to see the whole thing. Remember, Climate Pledge has an open window from which you can see about half the ice and the video screen from outside. Just something to consider.

As for other things to do:

Take the Monorail from the Westlake Mall to Seattle Center and do the Space Needle and if you're really into TV, specifically horror movies, sci-fi movies, fantasy movies, or just pop culture in general, the Museum of Pop Culture (MOPOP) is an amazing display of the highest end of movie props imaginable. It's really quite cool and if you're into those genre's of film, I highly recommend it. If you're just into film of any kind or music too. There's a lot of music stuff there as well, like Hip Hop, Nirvana, Pearl Jam. It's a neat place. I added the monorail as it's sort of a time capsule and is kind of fun too, but you don't have to do that to get there.

Pike Place Market and the Seattle Waterfront are pretty great for quirky shopping. There's a big ferris wheel down there for views. Lots of fun little sights to see down there. The Gum Wall, the fish throwing, Seattle Aquarium, etc. You can also take a Harbor Cruise, but if you're thinking about doing that, just take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island and back (Bainbridge village is a quaint little place with some shopping). The ferry terminal to get there is downtown. Very cheap for the trip to Bainbridge, free back to Seattle.

Loads of restaurants and bars right down in the Pike Place area. I'm a big fan of Honest Biscuits for breakfast down at Pike Place Market in a building sort of across Western Ave from the main market building.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
Cross your fingers hard enough and you could attend playoff baseball, but it won't be cheap. Game 4 of the Division Series is on Sunday, likely not long after your arrival.

Seahawks are also in town on Sunday it would appear, but you'll need to sacrifice children and sell your house to go.

I realize that's a tough sell. If the crazy high cost of going to the Kraken game is the prohibitor... you can watch from outside the arena, or just watch part of the game from outside the arena if you are avoiding buying tickets due to not being able to see the whole thing. Remember, Climate Pledge has an open window from which you can see about half the ice and the video screen from outside. Just something to consider.

As for other things to do:

Take the Monorail from the Westlake Mall to Seattle Center and do the Space Needle and if you're really into TV, specifically horror movies, sci-fi movies, fantasy movies, or just pop culture in general, the Museum of Pop Culture (MOPOP) is an amazing display of the highest end of movie props imaginable. It's really quite cool and if you're into those genre's of film, I highly recommend it. If you're just into film of any kind or music too. There's a lot of music stuff there as well, like Hip Hop, Nirvana, Pearl Jam. It's a neat place. I added the monorail as it's sort of a time capsule and is kind of fun too, but you don't have to do that to get there.

Pike Place Market and the Seattle Waterfront are pretty great for quirky shopping. There's a big ferris wheel down there for views. Lots of fun little sights to see down there. The Gum Wall, the fish throwing, Seattle Aquarium, etc. You can also take a Harbor Cruise, but if you're thinking about doing that, just take a ferry over to Bainbridge Island and back (Bainbridge village is a quaint little place with some shopping). The ferry terminal to get there is downtown. Very cheap for the trip to Bainbridge, free back to Seattle.

Loads of restaurants and bars right down in the Pike Place area. I'm a big fan of Honest Biscuits for breakfast down at Pike Place Market in a building sort of across Western Ave from the main market building.
awesome post! Not going to the kraken game because it’s not clear when the conference is going to end. There is a workshop starting at 5:45 on Monday night. The game starts at seven so I figure I won’t be able to go to the whole thing, but I forgot about the window! I had read about the Museum of Pop Art and would love to check that out! Will definitely check out the breakfast place is there any good places for dinner like seafood or steak? Will definitely check out the fish throwing and maybe the Ferris wheel. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad