OT: Kraken OT Lounge: No Calamari allowed

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Oh f*** yeah, that reminds me that Jimi Hendrix was from Seattle. Are there any museums for him or do they have any of his memorabilia at MoPoPs?

Lol. Yes. The MoPOP was originally conceived as a Hendrix museum, but the concept expanded considerably (and thankfully, as it’s amazing now where it was just OK when it first opened). There’s some very cool stuff in there. Don’t sleep on anything in that museum, even when you might not be interested in something, you’ll be surprised what treasures you may find. For example, the Hip Hop room had some stuff I thought was extremely cool, and i don’t listen to hip hop. There’s all sorts of well known music stuff from outside of Seattle as well. You will be shocked at the collection.

Reactions: Kane One

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Going to Seattle and Olympic National Park next week.

We are doing Seattle then the Forks then Port Angeles back to Seattle loop.

We were going to spend a day exploring hurricane ridge but the NPS closed the access road without any warning for 3 months due to construction of a new lodge. Pretty pissed but we are going to take a ferry to Victoria, BC instead.

Any recommendations for sights in Victoria? It appears they have great gardens. Also, any local recs. for Seattle would be great.

Thanks!

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Going to Seattle and Olympic National Park next week.

We are doing Seattle then the Forks then Port Angeles back to Seattle loop.

We were going to spend a day exploring hurricane ridge but the NPS closed the access road without any warning for 3 months due to construction of a new lodge. Pretty pissed but we are going to take a ferry to Victoria, BC instead.

Any recommendations for sights in Victoria? It appears they have great gardens. Also, any local recs. for Seattle would be great.

Thanks!

The Olympic National Park is amazing, and while very beautiful in Winter, it's very limited because there is an absolute SHITLOAD of snow up there. So you sort of can't do much but see the lodge and the views, which are almost always non-existent since it is cloudy and snowing nearly every day from November to June.

At any rate, Victoria is amazing and you won't regret it. Butchart Gardens is quite amazing, but I'm not sure how they look in early April with the cold weather we've had this year. Still amazing regardless, but might be just before blooming occurs. My one recommendation is the REALLY nail down how you get to it, because it's not all that close to Victoria. I think it's about a 25 minute drive. They have busses and stuff, but when I've gone I've had my car.

The Royal BC Museum is really great. There's plenty of places to walk around and find stuff to do in the downtown core and harbor area. They tend to frequently have events there too so check into that.

If it's nice, running around Beacon Hill park looking for Peacock's is fun. Going to the marker for the westernmost point of the Trans-Canada Highway is sorta neat. The south shore is pretty cool too. There's also a hill called Mt. Douglas with great views of the city and it's a nice easy hike.

Don't sleep on the ferry rides. I almost always see whales, so consider it a super cheap whale viewing opportunity.

As for Seattle, Pike Place Market and MoPOP for sure... Unless you're really not into Seattle music, horror movies, sci fi movies, or fantasy movies, a really cool place for all of those things. I'd argue the BEST pop culture museum anywhere. The Space Needle isn't necessary as it's the most expensive view in Seattle and Seattle is a city with a LOT of views. I like taking the ferry to Bainbridge for a couple hours. You only have to pay one way. It's a nice little town to walk and some indie high end shopping. The views from the Ferry are among the best around.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

I thought losing the Sonics was bad.

What particularly chaps my ass about this is that it wasn't Portland. I get it... you go to Vegas because it's the better option, but f***ing AGAIN? The damn league had courted Portland so hard, but just like with nearly everything else, Portland, and the money people within the Diamond Project couldn't get their heads out of their asses. And f*** Russell Wilson.

I wouldn't swap my allegiance from the Mariners regardless, but I'd go to a hell of a lot more baseball games if there were a team in Portland.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
What particularly chaps my ass about this is that it wasn't Portland. I get it... you go to Vegas because it's the better option, but f***ing AGAIN? The damn league had courted Portland so hard, but just like with nearly everything else, Portland, and the money people within the Diamond Project couldn't get their heads out of their asses. And f*** Russell Wilson.

I wouldn't swap my allegiance from the Mariners regardless, but I'd go to a hell of a lot more baseball games if there were a team in Portland.
I've heard Portland is a tough place to get that type of stuff done. Even the timbers had to convert a baseball stadium and there's still parts of it that look like one.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Anyone bought a house in the Seattle area before? Just got an offer accepted for a house in shoreline but eff me what an exhausting process house hunting. Couldn't help be envious of the people who have lived here for 20+ years before the market really blew up.

On the plus side i'm only moving from Haller Lake/Northgate to shoreline, so still close to the same things.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Anyone bought a house in the Seattle area before? Just got an offer accepted for a house in shoreline but eff me what an exhausting process house hunting. Couldn't help be envious of the people who have lived here for 20+ years before the market really blew up.

On the plus side i'm only moving from Haller Lake/Northgate to shoreline, so still close to the same things.

Congrats on selling the house. Having done what you're doing before, it freaking Suuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Congrats on selling the house. Having done what you're doing before, it freaking Suuuuuuuuuuuucks.
I'm a first time buyer, was renting previously but man the hoops you need to jump through. You only get a couple of days to decide if you are going to make an offer as well as there is so much competition. I thought it would have slowed down with interest rates and tech layoffs but it hasn't.

When I lived in Scotland, houses stayed on the market for weeks/months.

Reactions: Renopucker

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, the entire northwest has been this way for a while. Building isn’t happening because the land costs too much everywhere. Suck. In the case of having bought your house, congrats. Wait until you sell it. It’ll make this look like a joke.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Yeah, the entire northwest has been this way for a while. Building isn’t happening because the land costs too much everywhere. Suck. In the case of having bought your house, congrats. Wait until you sell it. It’ll make this look like a joke.
I'm hoping not to for another few decades :D when I retire to somewhere warm or something. Eff ever buying another house again in Seattle though, I doubt it's going to get any easier either.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Semi off-topic. My son got NHL 22, which gives you the option of starting the Kraken from the expansion draft.. So I did that, simulating the games for several seasons. Drafted close to the same as RF, but not entirely, but that doesn't matter. Got the team to the playoffs in the 1st season. Missed the playoffs Vancouver style (meaning a low 1st round draft pick playoff miss) for the next 4 seasons. In my 5th I took the team to the Pacific Conference championship, and went on to win the Stanley Cup with Cal Petersen in net (dominating by the way... 16 wins, 2 losses over the tournament with the final being a win over Shane Wright's Montreal Canadiens).

By that point most of my players were young guys post-reality. I had Jost, Fiala, Jordan Kyrou, Bjorkstrand, an end of career Taylor Hall, whom I drafted and signed at the expansion draft instead of Lauzon, Jason Robertson, Jaccob Slavin and Wyatt Johnston. The rest were draft picks that don't exist in the real world, and two of those were easily my best players. At any rate, that was fun until I re-signed Slavin, Bjorkstrand and Hall to one year "thank you" deals thinking they'd bring me repeat glory... and they sucked. Sucked bad... like 31st bad, and I got fired.

The End.

• Haha
Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've started playing pickup hockey again at KCI after struggling last year in Kingsgate, but man I'm so glad I started playing again. The KCI rink is amazing and the pickup sessions have mostly been really fun.

I went to the rink initially on a date to watch the Kraken game at 32 Bar and Grill, and I liked the rink so much that it made me start pickup again. Now, I can't wait to start the adult league in the fall.

Reactions: tank44

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I've started playing pickup hockey again at KCI after struggling last year in Kingsgate, but man I'm so glad I started playing again. The KCI rink is amazing and the pickup sessions have mostly been really fun.

I went to the rink initially on a date to watch the Kraken game at 32 Bar and Grill, and I liked the rink so much that it made me start pickup again. Now, I can't wait to start the adult league in the fall.

Good luck. Must be nice to have such a nice rink in your area.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00