Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Canucks - time to make Vancouver rainier than usual

Victor?

• Total voters

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
"Maybe the Canucks shouldn't try to chase McDavid...let him skate around like a wildman but have a player between him and the net... and keep a close check on anyone he's likely to pass to or who are looking for rebounds or trying to tip the puck....a big part of his game is to entice players to get out of position while chasing him so he can pass to his teammates...other than that, he's effectively just another player shooting the puck on net"

McDavid... just another player haha. I think this poster on the Nucks board has McDavid all figured out. He makes it sound so easy to defend 97 loll

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
"Maybe the Canucks shouldn't try to chase McDavid...let him skate around like a wildman but have a player between him and the net... and keep a close check on anyone he's likely to pass to or who are looking for rebounds or trying to tip the puck....a big part of his game is to entice players to get out of position while chasing him so he can pass to his teammates...other than that, he's effectively just another player shooting the puck on net"

McDavid... just another player haha. I think this poster on the Nucks board has McDavid all figured out. He makes it sound so easy to defend 97 loll
Genius idea!!!! Why didn't the people that get paid millions on the 31 other teams think about this strategy......

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The only times when McDavid has remotely struggled in the playoffs have been when Kesler and the entire Jets roster were allowed to interfere with him at will. So it isn't surprising that the Canucks started lobbying the officials almost as soon as their 1st round series ended.

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Is it hockey time yet?
200w.gif

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
The only times when McDavid has remotely struggled in the playoffs have been when Kesler and the entire Jets roster were allowed to interfere with him at will. So it isn't surprising that the Canucks started lobbying the officials almost as soon as their 1st round series ended.
Interference, hooking and slashing with intent going uncalled on McDavid wasn't, and still isn't, a good look for the NHL.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

He has trouble when the other team stacks their blue line defensively because the thought of chipping it in after crossing the red line is probably poison to him. Unfortunately, the Nucks do defend their blue line off the rush quite well.

I could see a scenario where we get frustrated with stalled break ins, but this isn't a Tuesday game in November that we prepared two hours for. There are tactical answers to any problem, and if that answer is "chip it and win the race" then McDavid will execute that.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
What cop car was flipped? A fire was lit in a shopping cart, not streets.

No cars were flipped lol, that was Vancouver

But I was there that night, someone definitely drug out a couple pallets from behind a business and lit a fire right on Whyte in the middle of the Ave, I walked around it, it was tiny but still a fire.

Everyone i encountered was very happy, I can still feel my hand stinging from giving about a million high fives lol

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

But I was there that night, someone definitely drug out a couple pallets from behind a business and lit a fire right on Whyte in the middle of the Ave, I walked around it, it was tiny but still a fire.

Everyone i encountered was very happy, I can still feel my hand stinging from giving about a million high fives lol
Yeh I was there too. I saw the firework thing, shopping cart thing, people on rooftops. It was a huge street party with slight mischief. No way was it a riot riot

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
He has trouble when the other team stacks their blue line defensively because the thought of chipping it in after crossing the red line is probably poison to him. Unfortunately, the Nucks do defend their blue line off the rush quite well.

I could see a scenario where we get frustrated with stalled break ins, but this isn't a Tuesday game in November that we prepared two hours for. There are tactical answers to any problem, and if that answer is "chip it and win the race" then McDavid will execute that.
The only teams I saw attempting this were Dallas and Minnesota. Both abandoned the strategy.

The peril of a two-man advantage. An additional penalty is close to a certainty.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

What? You don't remember the cop car flipping, and store smashing and looting, rich kids trying to light fire to rags stuffed in cop car gas tanks and all that stuff from when Weight was traded and when we lost in 2006?

Found this image of it

manlyman.jpg

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
What cop car was flipped? A fire was lit in a shopping cart, not streets.
You obviously weren't there. I seen multiple street/bonfires using pallets and various debris. There was a Police car flipped. It wasn't nearly as hardcore as the 2001 Canada Day Riot in Edmonton but there was still some rioting going on. The Police stood back and were actually pretty cool for the most part. I had a great time partying it up that summer on Whyte.

Here's a quick Youtube search that verifies some street fires.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Yeh I was there too. I saw the firework thing, shopping cart thing, people on rooftops. It was a huge street party with slight mischief. No way was it a riot riot
I'll agree that it wasn't a full on riot. Most people were just wasted having a great time. I walked around at least 3 street fires. I seen phone booths smashed and a few store windows. There were a few stabbings and fights. It wasn't a full on riot so yeah, you're right.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Did I really just read that Janmark has been elevated to the 1st line. Why

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
I'll agree that it wasn't a full on riot. Most people were just wasted having a great time. I walked around at least 3 street fires. I seen phone booths smashed and a few store windows. There were a few stabbings and fights. It wasn't a full on riot so yeah, you're right.
Not sure why y'all are bringing this up but if you're comparing it to Nuck fans turning Vancouver into a war zone after losing in the finals, well... there is no comparison.

It's like comparing the way Cam Ward's family were treated watching the finals with the way Nuck fans treated Lucic's family when they were playing the Bruins.

Henrique is listed day to day with an injury.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Rico is out apparently. I can’t see Janmark working very well on that line but Henrique played a pretty simple game from what I saw, maybe Janmark can do it for a game.

Can’t wait for this game. I predict a sweep pretty much every time because I wanna just believe. Truthfully I’m a little unsure, I think game 1 will be huge if we can win it and erase their home ice advantage.

Skinner needs to bring it, no sloppy first few mins. If the Nucks get a 2/3 goal lead they might lock it down successfully.

This Silovs guy is an interesting goalie. Maybe he’s that guy, every playoffs seems to have an unknown goalie that makes a name for themselves. Or maybe he’s just a rookie and gets lit the f*** up. I’m hoping for the latter.

Just win game 1 boys, my stress levels go way down when we’re leading a series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad