Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
if a bruins player made that hit on an opposing player, this forum would be backing the bruins player and praising him for giving full effort through the final buzzer.

This forum would actually probably say “this is exactly what we’ve been lacking” but since it’s was a bruins player that got hit, people have a problem with it.

No problem with the hit, but it was a kill shot and should have been dealt with. Issue is this team is too charmin soft to sack up and take liberties with the oppositions best players because unlike them the other teams tougher guys will come looking for them.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No problem with the hit, but it was a kill shot and should have been dealt with. Issue is this team is too charmin soft to sack up and take liberties with the oppositions best players because unlike them the other teams tougher guys will come looking for them.

I agree 100% someone on the bruins should have answered for mcavoy. I’m just saying it wasn’t an illegal or dirty hit.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This team, as constructed right now, loses in 5 games vs the caps if they make the conference finals. The level of soft this team is displaying they may not even get out of the division.

I'd agree that it's likely that the Caps would beat us in a PO series, and that their physicality would be a factor in that. However, I don't think it's a given. Last season's Hurricanes were even bit as much of a smaller, skill/speed team as the Bruins. So much so that when they tried to get physical with us in the ECF, because 'that's what you do against Boston', they were laughably bad at it, as I've said before. Yet they beat Washington. Yes it took 7 games plus OT, but they did it, and despite the fact that they were not only smaller but also the inferior team in terms of talent. For sure, the Caps were guilty of not taking them seriously enough and paid for it, but the point is that it can be done by a Bruins-like team.

I'm not saying this to argue that everything is just rosy and the Bs don't need to change a thing before April, because they do, but to state that, while I would fear a contest against the Caps more than any other team in the East, I would still have at least a slim hope that we could beat them.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
As much as I dislike fighting, our guys absolutely do not have each others backs. We had one of our leaders watch Mcavoy get crushed without even a push. I will give Bergy a break because he's had concussions, but he did absolutely nothing to defend his teammate and that part is disappointing and makes me question the leadership on this team beyond Chara.

Reactions: Strafer

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
if a bruins player made that hit on an opposing player, this forum would be backing the bruins player and praising him for giving full effort through the final buzzer.

This forum would actually probably say “this is exactly what we’ve been lacking” but since it’s was a bruins player that got hit, people have a problem with it.
If a Bruins player made that hit I’d do a backflip in excitement. It would be like seeing a unicorn, or a Sasquatch. I thought it was a great hit, I’m not used to seeing Bruins unload a purposeful hit that are wind knockers. I’m used to seeing Wagner and Kuraly do 2-3 rub off hits, or bounce off hits.

Must be nice for Washington to have 3-4 guys in their top 9 that will throw a punishing hit, meanwhile the Bruins have...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
As much as I dislike fighting, our guys absolutely do not have each others backs. We had one of our leaders watch Mcavoy get crushed without even a push. I will give Bergy a break because he's had concussions, but he did absolutely nothing to defend his teammate and that part is disappointing and makes me question the leadership on this team beyond Chara.

No issue w Bergeron there. Next faceoff you have Ritchie go right at the most skilled player on the ice and flatten him. Game was over and you show that shit doesn’t float. Send a message you go after our big guns yours are fair game

member 96824

Great match up for Boston, Buffalo is pretty weak as well. Let's see how they do against big, hitting teams in the next couple weeks. Either way watching this heartless, gutless team is depressing regardless of wins or losses. If I was Bergeron or Chara I would be sick.

I feel bad for you.

I like watching the Boston Bruins win hockey games

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
No issue w Bergeron there. Next faceoff you have Ritchie go right at the most skilled player on the ice and flatten him. Game was over and you show that **** doesn’t float. Send a message you go after our big guns yours are fair game[/QUO

:laugh:Only problem is Ritchie, I don't think he could do it. He
always seems a day late and a dollar short.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Just who on the Bruins team is going to be throwing these hits?

We hardly have anyone who can throw much of anything off our blue line.

Pastrnak is becoming out hardest hitting forward as of late... while I appreciate the moxie nobody is fearing his 175 pound frame. (I don't believe his 194# listing for a heartbeat)

We just don't have hitters and for those that say guys need to step up and start doing it, NO!

Hitting is a skill, a talent, Shawn Thornton was one of the toughest Bruins of late and try as he did he couldn't throw a hit worth crap.

This isn't a problem with coaching or attitude or team, this is a problem that requires some amount of physical change.

anyone and everyone, pick your spots. Whatever it takes.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

ritchie looks like shawn thornton in his first year in boston after he just won the cup
with the ducks a few months earlier. he was 3 steps behind the play, and every time
he tried to hit a guy, he hit the glass. problem is ritchie isn't gonna improve.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
They were losing the game and at point they want to end on a high note. I'm not expecting Washington to take it easy on us if given the opportunity to make a hit

I don’t expect them to take it easy either. But that was not simply “taking the opportunity to make a hit?” That was an over the top effort to crush a defenseless player. Big difference.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
anyone and everyone, pick your spots. Whatever it takes.

This response has no appreciation of what it takes to throw hits in hockey.

Some people will never do it and others will hurt themselves trying.

You have to have speed, position and great balance otherwise anything you throw is going to be late and ugly.

I was a slow skater with low hockey IQ and had little organized/rink play.

I couldn't hit anyone to my knowledge ... granted being heavy I have had quite a few puck carriers run into me and fall down so I have that going for me. ;)

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
This response has no appreciation of what it takes to throw hits in hockey.

Some people will never do it and others will hurt themselves trying.

You have to have speed, position and great balance otherwise anything you throw is going to be late and ugly.

I was a slow skater with low hockey IQ and had little organized/rink play.

I couldn't hit anyone to my knowledge ... granted being heavy I have had quite a few puck carriers run into me and fall down so I have that going for me. ;)

No appreciation? Ok Scotty Bowman, maybe Someday I’ll have a sliver of your hockey knowledge.

I understand the inherent challenges with throwing good clean hits. Which is why I said pick your spots.

The point is “do something” where the opportunity exists. Make the opponent expect a physical response. You don’t have to have a team of bruisers to do that.

member 96824

Do you like watching McAvoy get lit up with no response?

It happens to even the toughest of teams. I remember the same complaints about the 2011 Bruins around this time of the year. We watch the Atlanta game now with nostalgia, but most forget that these same types of threads lead up to that.

I remember a lot of the players people clamor for now on the ice when Horton and Savard laid on the ice motionless.

I remember Marchand getting knee’d in the head while we had 5 or 6 enforcers “back in the good ol’ days”

and I’m only 30...

I can’t imagine watching a 7-3 win wishing we were the other team though. That’s just a brain that’s listened to too much talk radio.

Reactions: Estlin and CDJ

member 96824

Reminder: Evander Kane did more to respond to Matt Cooke than the entire big bad Bruins teams that people think they remember.

Aaron Rome never had to answer the bell

Randy Jones never had to answer the bell

James Neal never had to answer the bell

John Scott never had to answer the bell

Anton Volchenkov never had to answer the bell

It’s easy to glorify the highlights for sure, but it sure wasn’t every night.

Reactions: Number8 and PB37

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Reminder: Evander Kane did more to respond to Matt Cooke than the entire big bad Bruins teams that people think they remember.

Aaron Rome never had to answer the bell

Randy Jones never had to answer the bell

James Neal never had to answer the bell

John Scott never had to answer the bell

Anton Volchenkov never had to answer the bell

It’s easy to glorify the highlights for sure, but it sure wasn’t every night.
Individual vs. team, which is kind of the issue most are making here.

member 96824

Aaron Rome was ejected and never played another game against the Bruins. Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Oh, and McQuaid fought John Scott.

Shoulda tossed Scott under the Cooke category..they shared a nice hug. Rome you’re right.but I have a funny feeling the people “depressed” watching the Bruins win aren’t waiting for the next match up for retribution.

member 96824

Individual vs. team, which is kind of the issue most are making here.

I’d definitely recommend looking up the examples I gave...especially Marchand/Volchenkov. Chara, Campbell, Ference on the ice and only Jagr gives him a small shove in the back. Ohhhhh those were the big bad days! McAvoy would have never got hit then!

I get some posters are younger and don’t remember actually what it was like to suck, but man..if watching this team stomp on the rest of the league where it actually matters sucks so bad, go watch the ducks.

I know it’s just a loud minority, but man it’s a shame what we’ve let this board come to. We beat the biggest thorn in our side over the last few years 7-3 and it’s “depressing”? While being a top 3 team in the league? Coming off a Stanley cup final? f*** off, that’s not a Bruins or a hockey fan. It’s the same type of people that complained about Tim Thomas on June 16, 2011. They were more concerned about being right on the internet than actually being a fan of a hockey team. f*** them.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Even when gets there in time, he's one of those guys whose body turns into a pillow when he makes contact. Just no impact whatsoever.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Even when gets there in time, he's one of those guys whose body turns into a pillow when he makes contact. Just no impact whatsoever.

The last two Caps games he went after Gudas, in which Gudas declined and skated away both times. Don't get me wrong Gudas can be really cheap and I would love to see him take a beating from any Bruin but when your playing the Caps he should be an after thought from Ritchie.

For your game plan against the caps it should be
1)Get bodies in front of Holtby
2)Hit Carlson as often as possible dump the puck in his corner and pressure the hell out of him.
3)Hit Backstom every chance you get.
4)Get Wilson off the ice, anytime you can swap Ritchie for Wilson its a big win for the Bruins. Wilson is a lose cannon and the more times Ritchie goes with him the more likely Wilson gets 5 and a game or even a 10 minute misconduct, its a win win for the bruins. Ritchie isn't on the ice anymore and neither is Wilson.

O yeah and don't let Ovechkin run you over:laugh:
I don't have him in my defend list because the guy is simply amazing but if you can stop these other guys the Bruins win. I feel if they can just get Wilson off the ice they win.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
The last two Caps games he went after Gudas, in which Gudas declined and skated away both times. Don't get me wrong Gudas can be really cheap and I would love to see him take a beating from any Bruin but when your playing the Caps he should be an after thought from Ritchie.

For your game plan against the caps it should be
1)to get bodies in front of Holtby
2)Hit Carlson as often as possible dump the puck in his corner and pressure the hell out of him.
3)Hit Backstom every chance you get.
4)Get Wilson off the ice, anytime you can swap Ritchie for Wilson its a big win for the Bruins. Wilson is a lose cannon and the more times Ritchie goes with him the more likely Wilson gets 5 and a game or even a 10 minute misconduct, its a win win for the bruins. Ritchie isn't on the ice anymore and neither is Wilson.

O yeah and don't let Ovechkin run you over:laugh:
I don't have him in my defend list because the guy is simply amazing but if you can stop these other guys the Bruins win. I feel if they can just get Wilson off the ice they win.

I like the plan, but who on the team is going to do #2 and 3 effectively? Acciari would have. Wagner did last year, but his hits haven't seemed as impactful this year.

Maybe Blidh would if he gets a chance after his recovery.

Reactions: sarge88

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I like the plan, but who on the team is going to do #2 and 3 effectively? Acciari would have. Wagner did last year, but his hits haven't seemed as impactful this year.

Maybe Blidh would if he gets a chance after his recovery.

I like Wags, Kuraly and Nordstrom but outside of them, I know what your saying. Wagner is really the only hitter, but with Kuraly speed he can really pressure the opposition and Nordy has speed and isn't afraid to throw his weight around.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Was the hit "legal"? I suppose. Was it necessary at that stage of the game? Not in the least. They were losing so they started running people.
Do I have a problem with playing like that? Not really, but you must expect there will be consequences for your actions.
That's what bugs me, and I think a lot of people, is that there "seems" to be no consequences for these actions.
In the old days you would take a number and tune him next road trip. Not anymore, so I'm just wondering what, if anything, will stop this from reoccurring.
I agree with everything you say. Maybe I’m overly optimistic but I think there is a good chance someone lines up Oshie (probably McAvoy) if they played in three weeks. Problem is next time they can possibly meet is playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad