Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Buuuuuuuuut Brick said it was clean.

that hit on mcavoy was clean. Hip on hip hit, mcavoy put himself in a vulnerable situation. Sucks what happened, but I can guarantee you if a bruins player hit someone like Oshie hit McAvoy, this entire fam base would be commending Oshie for giving all out effort until the final buzzer.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
I absolutely respect the different opinions about what happened in the game against the Caps but I surely cannot understand them. The Bruins teams from 2008-14 was so successful with a presidents trophy, a trip to to the final and a stanley cup win because they had an identity and got each others back. Something like the whole BS could have happened back then too but there would have been a price to pay for the other team.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I'll ask this again as I did earlier in the thread. If the Bs were so 'beaten down' by the Blues and 'incapable of functioning', how did they thrash them in game 6, and dominate 12 shots to 4 in the 1st period of game 7?

Wilson manhandles the Bruins, a lot, no doubt about that. Probably something more needs to be done in response to it. But are the Bs intimidated by it? Don't think so. Pasta didn't look remotely intimidated to me, seemed to find the whole experience a bit of a laugh.

I’m relieved Pasta was able to laugh. Unlike a guy like Shawn Thornton, Wilson is not only a guy that will hit you when you’re down and held, but throw punches aimed at doing significant damage. I wish Krug and McAvoy escaped that game laughing...they were less fortunate.

As for last year...well I guess we’re miles apart...I couldn’t watch that Game 7 and come away with anything other than the Blues strategy of dirty and injure had finally won out...

The Bruins could hardly muster chances. Ehh, I’d like to say it’s in the past...but I’m sure other teams took note. Not every team can pull it off...but we all know this is a copycat league. We’re sure to see it again down the road. Might want to do something.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I agree with some of that...but part of the reason the Bruins couldn’t put the puck in the net is they were beaten down. That team was physically incapable of functioning by the end of that series.

So, for all the “physical game/intimidation” is history...June doesn’t feel that long ago to me.

We get a close look at one guy, Wilson, abuse and diminish a whole team, and some still can’t see it.

Wilson intimidated long before he ground and pounded Pasta. Intimidation and abuse is still a effective tool in this league. It’s amazing we’re still having this discussion after STL blew up the league’s softer/gentler plan by happily taking 4th line suspensions all the way to a Cup.
Agreed.

The game may be 'evolving' but the last two Cup winners play an old school game that the B's have trouble handling.

I'll also add that I don't find the B's to be mentally tough either. They mailed it in Game 7 against St. Louis with two periods to play only down by 2; and they ducked for cover the last 2 periods against Washington.

Some will criticize the league for calling games differently in the playoffs. At the same time, a 7 game series provides no respite from a heavy opponent, the results of which are mental as well as physical, especially later in a series.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'll ask this again as I did earlier in the thread. If the Bs were so 'beaten down' by the Blues and 'incapable of functioning', how did they thrash them in game 6, and dominate 12 shots to 4 in the 1st period of game 7?

Wilson manhandles the Bruins, a lot, no doubt about that. Probably something more needs to be done in response to it. But are the Bs intimidated by it? Don't think so. Pasta didn't look remotely intimidated to me, seemed to find the whole experience a bit of a laugh.

Pastrnak wouldn't be laughing much if refs weren't
there to intercede. Pastrnak could get his jaw broken
by Wilson if he ever gets hold of him.

G6 last year Rask bailed Boston out early, just like Binnington did G5/7. Boston needs 1
forward akin to Anderson to completely replace Heinen
and another like Wood to sub in for Nordstrom/Bjork against teams like STL/Wash.

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I agree with some of that...but part of the reason the Bruins couldn’t put the puck in the net is they were beaten down. That team was physically incapable of functioning by the end of that series.

So, for all the “physical game/intimidation” is history...June doesn’t feel that long ago to me.

We get a close look at one guy, Wilson, abuse and diminish a whole team, and some still can’t see it.

Wilson intimidated long before he ground and pounded Pasta. Intimidation and abuse is still a effective tool in this league. It’s amazing we’re still having this discussion after STL blew up the league’s softer/gentler plan by happily taking 4th line suspensions all the way to a Cup.

He's only 25 years old too and signed to a good contract. Plenty of more years for him to remind us how the game is "evolving". Best way to counter a team who has convinced themselves that the game is evolving is to send players like Tom Wilson to rough them up

Meanwhile Bergeron is almost 35 and having to defend teammates bc there is nobody else. Talk about pathetic

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
that hit on mcavoy was clean. Hip on hip hit, mcavoy put himself in a vulnerable situation. Sucks what happened, but I can guarantee you if a bruins player hit someone like Oshie hit McAvoy, this entire fam base would be commending Oshie for giving all out effort until the final buzzer.
It was a hit to INJURE. Not one Bruin player
would throw a hit like that.

Reactions: Strafer

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
McAvoy is off balance, head down and chasing the puck..easy target to get hit there for oshie who got a freebee.

Oshie went after McAvoy 100% with a hit to injure, not a doubt in my mind. How much you want to make a bet if that was one Oshie's US Olympic Teams buddies like
Backes, Parise or Kesler he never makes a hit like that.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Oshie went after McAvoy 100% with a hit to injure, not a doubt in my mind. How much you want to make a bet if that was one Oshie's US Olympic Teams buddies like
Backes, Parise or Kesler he never makes a hit like that.

Id hope a bruin would make Carlson pay for coming across the blue line as well. McAvoy left himself vulnerable as he was chasing the puck off balance with no clue what players were around him. That was a gift for Oshie who of course going to make a HR hit when given the easy opportunity.

Teams are going to continue to nail the Bruins if they can. That's the blueprint going forward, I'd stop acting shocked it happens. Other teams aren't buying into all speed.and skill

Last edited:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Id hope a bruin would make Carlson pay for coming across the blue line as well. McAvoy left himself vulnerable as he was chasing the puck off balance with no clue what players were around him. That was a gift for Oshie who of course going to make a HR hit when given the easy opportunity.

Teams are going to continue to nail the Bruins if they can. That's the blueprint going forward, I'd stop acting shocked it happens. Other teams aren't buying into all speed.and skill

Hit was 100% unnecessary. We aren't ever going to agree.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Hit was 100% unnecessary. We aren't ever going to agree.
If you look at it from one frame as in... that game, I agree. If you look at it from a larger lens like were probably gonna meet in the playoffs, who gets home ice, and it’s a marathon then it’s a little more debatable.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If you look at it from one frame as in... that game, I agree. If you look at it from a larger lens like were probably gonna meet in the playoffs and it’s a marathon then it’s a little more debatable.

He has no respect for McAvoy. It's a game in December
not April thru June.

Like I said 100% guarantee he doesn't do that to Backes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He concussed Krejci a few years back, he plays on the edge and will make a big hit when he can. McAvoy trying to maneuver across the blue line gave him that opportunity
Krejci concussion from Oshie was Krejci initiating contact - I had 0.0 problem with Oshie on that play

completely different in my world

the McAvoy hit was garbage

in my world you let Oshie get up know where he is and then give him some leather to his face and hope he drops the gloves (he won’t to concerned about his looks) fake tough guy

Reactions: Strafer and sarge88

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Krejci concussion from Oshie was Krejci initiating contact - I had 0.0 problem with Oshie on that play

completely different in my world

the McAvoy hit was garbage

in my world you let Oshie get up know where he is and then give him some leather to his face and hope he drops the gloves (he won’t yo concerned about his looks) and then pound pretty boys jaw

What was wrong with the oshie hit. McAvoy is chasing the puck. No head contact. McAvoy was unprepared for the body contact

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What was wrong with the oshie hit. McAvoy is chasing the puck. No head contact. McAvoy was unprepared for the body contact
You don’t get it which is fine

80/20 rule

Um he didn’t play the puck he was trying to blow MvAvoy up - and he was defenseless as well

believe what you want - your mind your thoughts your reality

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
You don’t get it which is fine

80/20 rule

Um he didn’t play the puck he was trying to blow MvAvoy up - and he was defenseless as well

believe what you want - your mind your thoughts your reality

The reality is the Bruins are getting targeted and all we can do is complain instead of fighting back. Same story playing the blues. The puck was in the area which for some players is reason enough to lay a big hit. also if fake tough guy Oshie was inserted in our top 6 he'd be our toughest top 6 forward by default

Last edited:

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
He has no respect for McAvoy. It's a game in December
not April thru June.

Like I said 100% guarantee he doesn't do that to Backes.
I think Oshie would green light any Bruin there. It is a game in December but is it really any less important than one in March? Top two teams in eastern conference last meeting of season series (I believe). Washington clearly hates to lose, wanted to send a message and like it not that’s not a horrible thing.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Oshie

1. did not play the puck
2. Knew the player was vulnerable

he hit him with shoulder but it was cheap and unnecessary. What goes around comes around

TJ Oshie lands gigantic hit on Charlie McAvoy

Oshie doesn’t have to play puck to make a hit. He saw hit and went for it. Message sending for sure, we clearly did not respond. Hopefully next time we play we do and/or are capable of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad