Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
We give you Exhibit A: T.J. Oshie’s hit on Bruins blueline wunderkind Charlie McAvoy with 1:38 to go in the third. Nasty. Unnecessary. Cheaper than the last suit that sold off the rack at Filene’s Basement.

The game was over, the Bruins in the midst of nursing a 6-3 lead over the finish line. Oshie, with no interest in playing the puck, unloaded on the vulnerable prey that was McAvoy, the ex-BU blueliner who was already off-kilter as he sped toward the puck near the Caps bench. Nothing illegal about the smack, at least not by the standard set by the NHL Department of Player Safety, but it was a cheap and dangerous play that could have left McAvoy in a world of hurt.

We won’t know about McAvoy’s status until Friday, when the Bruins return from their holiday break. Post-game, Bruce Cassidy said he appeared to be OK, but we should take that as standard coach speak after a game. Post-game “OKs” have a way of turning into a string of “day-to-days.”

Most telling, though, and of deep concern for the Bruins, was that Oshie didn’t have to answer for the hit. The referees said nothing. McAvoy’s teammates did diddly. And the band played on, the only answer to it all coming 1:10 later when Patrice Bergeron potted one into an empty net, his second strike of the night, for the 7-3 curtain closer.

McAvoy was road kill as he struggled back to the Boston bench, then sat there looking like some pulverized Looney Tune character, that hapless sap who reached into the oven with a lit match, asking, “Gee, let’s see, do you think the gas is on?”

So, who in a Black-and-Gold sweater might respond to such a thing? Monday night, no one. Crickets on an inordinately warm December eve.

Last June, when it was vital, they weren’t as tough as the Blues. If they’re fortunate enough to see June again, then Monday, Dec. 23, should be the night they learned there are some insults that just can’t be ignored. Some parts of old time hockey endure.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
It's been a problem since 2013 it feels like. And it will continue to be a problem until somebody changes the culture or something.

I feel like these younger guys are coming up in junior leagues lacking that killer/ruthless instinct, which is something that Wilson has always had in his playing game, even during his junior years. That's not something you can coach in a player; you either have it or don't.

Boston's been signing guys who don't really have that ruthless mentality. I don't know what the future of the league totally looks like,but I do think it'd be a good idea to start a search for some players with means streaks in the draft in the future. Don't just look for the two way game anymore; look for the guys who are known to be ruthless in the younger leagues

I don't think we'll see many Lucics or Wilsons in the future, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be scouts looking for that

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Hes an old bufoon. It's time to retire.

It's sad, because his Sunday hockey column used to be a must read. Just another in a long line of Boston sportswriters who came to think they are bigger than the game and the players.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
it's a pretty reasonable article. I'm not a huge KPD fan but this is calling a spade a spade. Should he write a different opinion which ignores what happened or have no opinion at all? He is the globes hockey writer

The guy who has called for a ban on fighting doesn't get to lament that a team didn't call out Oshie after things got ugly. You are either for retribution fighting, or you aren't.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I'm not crazy about players fighting unless there's a good reason for it. Last night felt like a pretty good reason to me.

But again I don't know how Boston intends to address it in the future .Feels like every FA signing Sweeney's brought in to do the job has failed outright or only worked for short term doses.

I really do think they have to find a big angry kid in the draft at the forward position - a winger, namely - that they can turn into a guy that'll get the job done of returning fire when the team starts getting smacked around. I'm not sure I want to see who Sweeney would sign in FA next otherwise. None of those guys have panned out.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It’s so easy folks

You have physical as in play the body type players and you check ‘very hard’ the other teams players

specifically the good skilled ones who won’t retaliate

did anyone watch what Columbus did to Tampa and almost to Boston

fighting is all but dead but physical play is allowed

what is the problem

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
It’s so easy folks

You have physical as in play the body type players and you check ‘very hard’ the other teams players

specifically the good skilled ones who won’t retaliate

did anyone watch what Columbus did to Tampa and almost to Boston

fighting is all but dead but physical play is allowed

what is the problem
The problem is complaining that we cant beat the Caps for 5 years and then finding a way to complain when we beat them by four goals.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
We give you Exhibit A: T.J. Oshie’s hit on Bruins blueline wunderkind Charlie McAvoy with 1:38 to go in the third. Nasty. Unnecessary. Cheaper than the last suit that sold off the rack at Filene’s Basement.

The game was over, the Bruins in the midst of nursing a 6-3 lead over the finish line. Oshie, with no interest in playing the puck, unloaded on the vulnerable prey that was McAvoy, the ex-BU blueliner who was already off-kilter as he sped toward the puck near the Caps bench. Nothing illegal about the smack, at least not by the standard set by the NHL Department of Player Safety, but it was a cheap and dangerous play that could have left McAvoy in a world of hurt.

We won’t know about McAvoy’s status until Friday, when the Bruins return from their holiday break. Post-game, Bruce Cassidy said he appeared to be OK, but we should take that as standard coach speak after a game. Post-game “OKs” have a way of turning into a string of “day-to-days.”

Most telling, though, and of deep concern for the Bruins, was that Oshie didn’t have to answer for the hit. The referees said nothing. McAvoy’s teammates did diddly. And the band played on, the only answer to it all coming 1:10 later when Patrice Bergeron potted one into an empty net, his second strike of the night, for the 7-3 curtain closer.

McAvoy was road kill as he struggled back to the Boston bench, then sat there looking like some pulverized Looney Tune character, that hapless sap who reached into the oven with a lit match, asking, “Gee, let’s see, do you think the gas is on?”

So, who in a Black-and-Gold sweater might respond to such a thing? Monday night, no one. Crickets on an inordinately warm December eve.

Last June, when it was vital, they weren’t as tough as the Blues. If they’re fortunate enough to see June again, then Monday, Dec. 23, should be the night they learned there are some insults that just can’t be ignored. Some parts of old time hockey endure.
Buuuuuuuuut Brick said it was clean.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Isn't this the same KPD who called for fighting to be banned, after years of calling for the repeal of the both instigator and the ban on bench clearing brawls? He should make up his mind.
KPD is a clown but I'm glad this message is being sent so publicly because the Bruins seemed comatose after the game and were ready to just brush this off like nothing.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The problem is complaining that we cant beat the Caps for 5 years and then finding a way to complain when we beat them by four goals.
because some of us recognize that a fluky 4 goal outburst in the first (and then getting outshot 42-17 and outhit 40-19) isn't a winning formula. A win is a win, but it's being willfully ignorant to look at how this game went and try to claim that the Bruins finally "solved" the Caps.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
because some of us recognize that a fluky 4 goal outburst in the first (and then getting outshot 42-17 and outhit 40-19) isn't a winning formula. A win is a win, but it's being willfully ignorant to look at how this game went and try to claim that the Bruins finally "solved" the Caps.

If there ever was a “mail it in” game, I’d think a road game the night before the Christmas break would be it.

Reactions: Strafer and BMC

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If there ever was a “mail it in” game, I’d think a road game the night before the Christmas break would be it.
this is exactly right.

I'm all for whatever the Bruins need to do to get the monkey off their back and end this losing streak. I'm glad they got the win, but anyone acting like this is some huge rivalry turning victory over the Caps is kidding themselves. The Bruins were lucky to play a team that phoned it in early. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen Bruins fans claim that a bad loss was the result of the Bruins beating themselves. This was exactly that for the Caps IMO.

Good on the Bruins for capitalizing, though. A couple weeks ago they might have come out of the first up 1-0 with a bunch of wasted opportunities and then lost 3-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad