Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
What was wrong with the oshie hit. McAvoy is chasing the puck. No head contact. McAvoy was unprepared for the body contact

Consider the Timing of the hit, nature of the hit and you derive the intent of the hit.

Totally unnecessary play by Oshie.

respond by hitting their best and lightest stars. Repeatedly. It has a way of simmering things down over time.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
You don’t get it which is fine

80/20 rule

Um he didn’t play the puck he was trying to blow MvAvoy up - and he was defenseless as well

believe what you want - your mind your thoughts your reality

How many times does a dman make a play dumping it in like that knowing they are going have to take a hit? Happens all the time. Maybe not to that scale but certainly every game. There is no rule that says Oshie has to ply the puck there and Mcavoy put himself in a vulnerable position... don’t get me wrong I was pissed about the hit... but more pissed of the teams reaction. I bet Charlie thinks twice next time, and if he does even on one play against Caps next time they play... then Oshie hit sent the message he was going for.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Oshie doesn’t have to play puck to make a hit. He saw hit and went for it. Message sending for sure, we clearly did not respond. Hopefully next time we play we do and/or are capable of it.
It’s pretty simple

the coach says I want the middle of the ice taken away and specifically identify physical play on Backstrom & Kutzenov.

but moreso John Carlson

he should be hit hard, clean, and often- anytime a Bruins player has a chance to take him do it

all Cassidy has to say is I want Carlson knowing he’s been in a game and those two top centers worried more than making plays

you don’t have to go after Wilson or Hathaway although I would endorse it’s the highly skilled guys that run the middle of the ice and transition

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Hit was clean but unnecessary. Nothing a Bruins player hasn't done in the last 5 years. I feel like arguing over it is ignoring the bigger issue of our team getting ran over regardless of who they play.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Consider the Timing of the hit, nature of the hit and you derive the intent of the hit.

respond by hitting their best and lightest stars. Repeatedly. It has a way of simmering things down over time.

They were losing the game and at point they want to end on a high note. I'm not expecting Washington to take it easy on us if given the opportunity to make a hit

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I’m relieved Pasta was able to laugh. Unlike a guy like Shawn Thornton, Wilson is not only a guy that will hit you when you’re down and held, but throw punches aimed at doing significant damage. I wish Krug and McAvoy escaped that game laughing...they were less fortunate.

As for last year...well I guess we’re miles apart...I couldn’t watch that Game 7 and come away with anything other than the Blues strategy of dirty and injure had finally won out...

The Bruins could hardly muster chances. Ehh, I’d like to say it’s in the past...but I’m sure other teams took note. Not every team can pull it off...but we all know this is a copycat league. We’re sure to see it again down the road. Might want to do something.

I'm not going to rehash the SCFs. Clearly we saw them differently, and that's ok.

All that really matters now is what happens going forwards. And here's the uncomfortable reality for all those who want the Big Bad Bruins back. In the short-medium term that ship has sailed. Nothing the Bruins can do between now and April will make any significant difference to how this team plays or how other teams play against us. Indeed I'd go further and say that the roster and tactics have gone so far down the speed/skill/compete road that it could be April 2021 and this team will still be essentially as it is now in terms of its character and how it plays the game.

They could bring in 2 tough guys before the deadline (which they won't, we'll get 1 at most) and it wouldn't change much. Wilson and his ilk aren't going to suddenly shy away from getting physical and targeting smaller players just 'cause some bigger guy might hit them back. It's not enough to make them care or change their tactics - why should they? They won't suddenly turn the Bruins into a big team, they'll just be not quite as small as before. The perceived way to beat them won't fundamentally alter.

The other alternative is for the Bruins to start laying more targeted hits and generally playing a more physical game. But this roster just isn't built for it. How many of our players can lay hits that will really hurt and wear down the opposition? Wagner and McAvoy. The end. Forget Ritchie, come April he won't be in the squad. Clifton lays a good bump but he's small. Coyle and Carlo have the size, but their mentality is miles away from being that kind of player. Chara is too slow and Miller is either gone for good or will never be the physical type he once was even if he does return. The only big guy who might get a look in from Providence is Frederic and he's still way too young and inexperienced to be given any sort of enforcer-type role. Cassidy also won't tolerate him staying in Boston if that's all he brings to the table, and I'm pretty sure his current game still doesn't rank him anywhere in the Bruins' 14 best forwards.

So this team is either going to succeed with its methodology of the last 3 years or it will fail. And if it does all those who hate the direction it has gone in will be the first to tell us they were right, just like last season. But there's little to be done about it now but to see how it all plays out this time around.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How many times does a dman make a play dumping it in like that knowing they are going have to take a hit? Happens all the time. Maybe not to that scale but certainly every game. There is no rule that says Oshie has to ply the puck there and Mcavoy put himself in a vulnerable position... don’t get me wrong I was pissed about the hit... but more pissed of the teams reaction. I bet Charlie thinks twice next time, and if he does even on one play against Caps next time they play... then Oshie hit sent the message he was going for.
I sit row 2 right in back of Rask periods 1 & 3 close enough to see the color of his eyes - and I coached D for years - any player could seriously injure any D at any time

it’s like shooting fish in a barrel

I’ve always liked Oshie and still do - one of my favorites but in my mind it was garbage

Bruins can respond two ways - go after the perpetrator or better yet his skilled non physical teammates with consistent hard and clean hits

Carlson should have zero space and smacked every single time right up to crossing the line but like Oshie apparently not crossing

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
It’s pretty simple

the coach says I want the middle of the ice taken away and specifically identify physical play on Backstrom & Kutzenov.

but moreso John Carlson

he should be hit hard, clean, and often- anytime a Bruins player has a chance to take him do it

all Cassidy has to say is I want Carlson knowing he’s been in a game and those two top centers worried more than making plays

you don’t have to go after Wilson or Hathaway although I would endorse it’s the highly skilled guys that run the middle of the ice and transition
I agree and I’m not sure Cassidy comes up with that kind of plan. I could be wrong but I think his plan is about skating and speed and your game versus physicality on other players and wearing an opponent down. Washington clearly had a plan to try and make it a tough game for Charlie and Pasta and others and they played that way until the buzzer. It didnt pay off on scoreboard but it may next time they play. I am glad KPD wrote the article he did because I think it’s important that the players and coach read it. Maybe they do maybe they don’t but it certainly gets folks talking and while they may take it with a grain of salt we/they know there is some truth to it.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
I sit row 2 right in back of Rask periods 1 & 3 close enough to see the color of his eyes - and I coached D for years - any player could seriously injure any D at any time

it’s like shooting fish in a barrel

I’ve always liked Oshie and still do - one of my favorites but in my mind it was garbage

Bruins can respond two ways - go after the perpetrator or better yet his skilled non physical teammates with consistent hard and clean hits

Carlson should have zero space and smacked every single time right up to crossing the line but like Oshie apparently not crossing

Oshie is generally a soft, skilled player who throws the occasional big hit much like McAvoy himself. Why are we acting like he's Wilson or even Gudas when it comes to dropping the gloves?

Reactions: DKH

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm not going to rehash the SCFs. Clearly we saw them differently, and that's ok.

All that really matters now is what happens going forwards. And here's the uncomfortable reality for all those who want the Big Bad Bruins back. In the short-medium term that ship has sailed. Nothing the Bruins can do between now and April will make any significant difference to how this team plays or how other teams play against us. Indeed I'd go further and say that the roster and tactics have gone so far down the speed/skill/compete road that it could be April 2021 and this team will still be essentially as it is now in terms of its character and how it plays the game.

They could bring in 2 tough guys before the deadline (which they won't, we'll get 1 at most) and it wouldn't change much. Wilson and his ilk aren't going to suddenly shy away from getting physical and targeting smaller players just 'cause some bigger guy might hit them back. It's not enough to make them care or change their tactics - why should they? They won't suddenly turn the Bruins into a big team, they'll just be not quite as small as before. The perceived way to beat them won't fundamentally alter.

The other alternative is for the Bruins to start laying more targeted hits and generally playing a more physical game. But this roster just isn't built for it. How many of our players can lay hits that will really hurt and wear down the opposition? Wagner and McAvoy. The end. Forget Ritchie, come April he won't be in the squad. Clifton lays a good bump but he's small. Coyle and Carlo have the size, but their mentality is miles away from being that kind of player. Chara is too slow and Miller is either gone for good or will never be the physical type he once was even if he does return. The only big guy who might get a look in from Providence is Frederic and he's still way too young and inexperienced to be given any sort of enforcer-type role. Cassidy also won't tolerate him staying in Boston if that's all he brings to the table, and I'm pretty sure his current game still doesn't rank him anywhere in the Bruins' 14 best forwards.

So this team is either going to succeed with its methodology of the last 3 years or it will fail. And if it does all those who hate the direction it has gone in will be the first to tell us they were right, just like last season. But there's little to be done about it now but to see how it all plays out this time around.

I think most have accepted that reality and are just reacting to what the product is now compared to other teams who are playing a more physical brand of hockey

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s pretty simple

but moreso John Carlson

Would this current Bruins squad really want to get in a hitting war with the Caps? They just don't have the size or muscle to scare them, and I'd be 90% sure that Washington's response to it would just be to start bumping our guys even harder and more often, so that we end games with 4 injured players instead of 2. If I were Carlson or Backstrom I wouldn't be afraid of what a single Bruin could do to me. I'd know that if a McAvoy or Wagner hits me hard once, they won't be doing it again because Wilson or Gudas will have laid them out within the next 2 mins. I just don't see how it ends well for us.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Pastrnak wouldn't be laughing much if refs weren't
there to intercede. Pastrnak could get his jaw broken
by Wilson if he ever gets hold of him.

G6 last year Rask bailed Boston out early, just like Binnington did G5/7. Boston needs 1
forward akin to Anderson to completely replace Heinen
and another like Wood to sub in for Nordstrom/Bjork against teams like STL/Wash.

Wilson hits and roughs players on just about every team. You think he treats the Bruins as special? He doesn't. He could break anybody's jaw. So what? Pasta threw the first punch, tame as it was. He knew what the response would be. That's up to him to decide whether he wants to put himself in that situation or not.

On the SCFs, your statement on the goalies implies that you're agreeing with me that the Bruins outplayed the Blues in the first part of games 5 and 7, and by inference the second half of game 6, and therefore they clearly weren't so worn out and beaten down by the Blues' physicality after all. Good to have a fellow traveller on that one!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Wilson hits and roughs players on just about every team. You think he treats the Bruins as special? He doesn't. He could break anybody's jaw. So what? Pasta threw the first punch, tame as it was. He knew what the response would be. That's up to him to decide whether he wants to put himself in that situation or not.

On the SCFs, your statement on the goalies implies that you're agreeing with me that the Bruins outplayed the Blues in the first part of games 5 and 7, and by inference the second half of game 6, and therefore they clearly weren't so worn out and beaten down by the Blues' physicality after all. Good to have a fellow traveller on that one!

Actually Carlo's fluke early 3rd period goal broke STL
in G6. Also Boston surged P1 of games 5/7. Periods
2/3 of those games not so much.

Ultimately for 4 games, STL top 3D and Binnington
were more than Boston's skill forwards could handle.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Was the hit "legal"? I suppose. Was it necessary at that stage of the game? Not in the least. They were losing so they started running people.
Do I have a problem with playing like that? Not really, but you must expect there will be consequences for your actions.
That's what bugs me, and I think a lot of people, is that there "seems" to be no consequences for these actions.
In the old days you would take a number and tune him next road trip. Not anymore, so I'm just wondering what, if anything, will stop this from reoccurring.

Reactions: BAD BOY and BMC

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I want my Bruins to not only play the game the right way, but respond physically when teams cross the line. Whether it's gang tackling someone or dropping the mits, show some aggression when teams are taking liberties with our stars. No one player will ever prevent another team from taking runs, but not responding to them is inexcusable.

I've said it before but the Bruins have too many nice guys on the team. The mantra of the room ( judging by how many times they say it during interviews ) is " play the right way ". The other half of that mantra should be " support each other ", whether it's tactically during play or physically when games get grimy. Adding in some aggressive players who can be trusted to play the game on the lower end of the roster would help the team.

member 96824

What is a KPD?

B’s have provided plenty of beatings where it matters, that’s why they lead the East and are 2nd in the league in goal differential.

Next victim is tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

Just who on the Bruins team is going to be throwing these hits?

We hardly have anyone who can throw much of anything off our blue line.

Pastrnak is becoming out hardest hitting forward as of late... while I appreciate the moxie nobody is fearing his 175 pound frame. (I don't believe his 194# listing for a heartbeat)

We just don't have hitters and for those that say guys need to step up and start doing it, NO!

Hitting is a skill, a talent, Shawn Thornton was one of the toughest Bruins of late and try as he did he couldn't throw a hit worth crap.

This isn't a problem with coaching or attitude or team, this is a problem that requires some amount of physical change.

Reactions: Strafer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Would this current Bruins squad really want to get in a hitting war with the Caps? They just don't have the size or muscle to scare them, and I'd be 90% sure that Washington's response to it would just be to start bumping our guys even harder and more often, so that we end games with 4 injured players instead of 2. If I were Carlson or Backstrom I wouldn't be afraid of what a single Bruin could do to me. I'd know that if a McAvoy or Wagner hits me hard once, they won't be doing it again because Wilson or Gudas will have laid them out within the next 2 mins. I just don't see how it ends well for us.

Good point.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This team, as constructed right now, loses in 5 games vs the caps if they make the conference finals. The level of soft this team is displaying they may not even get out of the division.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
What is a KPD?

B’s have provided plenty of beatings where it matters, that’s why they lead the East and are 2nd in the league in goal differential.

Next victim is tomorrow night.
Great match up for Boston, Buffalo is pretty weak as well. Let's see how they do against big, hitting teams in the next couple weeks. Either way watching this heartless, gutless team is depressing regardless of wins or losses. If I was Bergeron or Chara I would be sick.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
What was wrong with the oshie hit. McAvoy is chasing the puck. No head contact. McAvoy was unprepared for the body contact

if a bruins player made that hit on an opposing player, this forum would be backing the bruins player and praising him for giving full effort through the final buzzer.

This forum would actually probably say “this is exactly what we’ve been lacking” but since it’s was a bruins player that got hit, people have a problem with it.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
if a bruins player made that hit on an opposing player, this forum would be backing the bruins player and praising him for giving full effort through the final buzzer.

This forum would actually probably say “this is exactly what we’ve been lacking” but since it’s was a bruins player that got hit, people have a problem with it.

I know the subtlety may be lost on you, but it's not an either/or thing, Rico. If a Bruin threw that hit at the end of a game, yeah I'd love it. I'd also expect him to answer for the hit by dropping the gloves.

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

They don't have to WIN the physical war, they need to show up and push back against guys targeting their stars. It's more about it being a symbol inside the Bruins' room.

I do think the tough guy deterent thing can help. A good example is the change in Lucic's approach against Buffalo pre and post John Scott. Before Scott, he was running around having his way with everyone (like Wilson the other day).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad