Boston Globe KPD: The Bruins didn’t have their teammates’ backs on Monday, and that could be a problem

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Coming off a Stanley Cup final where they got run out of the rink on some nights. You really think that loss meant a thing to the Caps? They laughed it off and probably sat around laughing at how soft Boston has become under Cassidy/Sweeney and salivating at the idea of playing them in April. Ovie I'm sure had a good chuckle, I believe he is the only Cap left from Cassidy's highly successful stay in Washington.

Being a Bruin, once upon a time, meant having your teammates backs and not playing like wimps. When Kevin DuPont, who hates tough hockey, calls your response unacceptable it speaks volumes. So looking at a meaningless late December game where your best defensemen are getting run regularly with no response and saying it is unacceptable , how soft this team is and how it needs to get tougher may not live up to your expectations of being a Bruins fan it does to others. I bet a vast majority of Bruins fans feel the same way. Take a poll outside of HF Boards, which overall not just the Bruins forum but overall has a very negative slant on tough hockey, and see what the response is. Wonder how may others wouldn't be deemed Bruins fans by your criteria.

Let me know when the parade is for this great win on December 23rd, I'll make sure to stop by.

I have a genuine question - if the Bruins had won game 7 against the Blues and lifted the Cup, would you have been happy because they'd have obtained the ultimate prize, or disappointed because a team that is composed and plays in a way you don't like had succeeded? No malice in the question, I'm just curious.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Speared then jumped the teams leading scorer, and both our #1 and #2 defenseman injured in one single game.

Not even close to acceptable to have zero response for any of it.

we had already won the game, someone should have had some stones to do something.. I don’t care if it’s a hit, a fight, running someone. Just do... something.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I have a genuine question - if the Bruins had won game 7 against the Blues and lifted the Cup, would you have been happy because they'd have obtained the ultimate prize, or disappointed because a team that is composed and plays in a way you don't like had succeeded? No malice in the question, I'm just curious.
I was at 4 games

game 1 Bruins knocked Blues all over ice

game 2 Blues returned favor - losing Grzelcyk made it easier

game 5 Bruins significantly more physical

game 7 they just played

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Just stop with this crap.

Yeah, I don’t want Bergeron getting involved in any kind of payback/response.

But that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be a response.

Whether the hits were legal or illegal doesn’t matter in today’s game, many teams would respond during that shift or within a couple shifts.

For the Bruins to just refuse to do anything at all...is sad and pathetic...but even worse, not all that surprising.

It’s gag worthy.

They said just beat the snot out of me and my teammates...I’ve got no pushback.

Man, that punch at the buzzer to Nordy was just to rub it in that the Bruins have got nothing.

A team with any self-respect pulse would have decked a guy at that point. Ritchie should have came in and cold-cocked a guy in that final sweater pulling scrum. ...and Cassidy should have done more than just okay’d it...he should have made it clear.

member 96824

Coming off a Stanley Cup final where they got run out of the rink on some nights. You really think that loss meant a thing to the Caps? They laughed it off and probably sat around laughing at how soft Boston has become under Cassidy/Sweeney and salivating at the idea of playing them in April. Ovie I'm sure had a good chuckle, I believe he is the only Cap left from Cassidy's highly successful stay in Washington.

Being a Bruin, once upon a time, meant having your teammates backs and not playing like wimps. When Kevin DuPont, who hates tough hockey, calls your response unacceptable it speaks volumes. So looking at a meaningless late December game where your best defensemen are getting run regularly with no response and saying it is unacceptable , how soft this team is and how it needs to get tougher may not live up to your expectations of being a Bruins fan it does to others. I bet a vast majority of Bruins fans feel the same way. Take a poll outside of HF Boards, which overall not just the Bruins forum but overall has a very negative slant on tough hockey, and see what the response is. Wonder how may others wouldn't be deemed Bruins fans by your criteria.

Let me know when the parade is for this great win on December 23rd, I'll make sure to stop by.

I dunno, I don’t think you’ll be stopping by any parades, it sounds like they would be too tough for your emotions to handle.

I’m curious when you’re talking about though...because I’m 90% sure they are read without success. I know it’s not 2011 and 2013 because your 10 year broken record was playing back then as well, pining for guys like Anthony Camara, Tyler Randall, Brian McGratton, Steve Macintyre and other completely useless bums to drag our team down.

It was the same thing in 2013, we lost the cup cause we weren’t “tough enough” and if we added a heavy weight it would be the answer. Yawn.

I don’t think the vast majority of Bruins fans are “depressed” after wins. I don’t think the majority of fans think this team is heartless or gutless...I think you’re on an island there. The same island you’ve sat on for 10 years, pouting because Colton Orr has no place in the game anymore. I always appreciate the attempts to dress it up differently though. Some creative stuff through the years.

member 96824

In fairness...you're discounting the McQuaid - Scott bout. McQuaid did what is supposed to be done -- he immediately went at Scott and handled it then. It wasn't Jonathan - Bouchard but he made the point.

Secondly, the win vs. Washington was about as close to a scheduled win one could have vs. a quality team. Night before the Christmas break, Washington has owned the B's for years and they were on the road. 82 games plus playoffs is a long season --- if you were asked before the season to circle the Bruins best chance vs. Washington for a win this season and Washington's best chance for laying an egg, I guarantee most people would circle the same game --- Monday's.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with questioning a team, even when they are winning. There isn't one person on this board that I've seen who is pushing for them to get tougher/stronger/harder to play against that wants the fourth line to be Ivanans - Scott - Laraque.

For me (and I would say most that think like me) our hope for a change is coming from a place of concern. I don't want to see players on the team I root for get injured. In related news, I also feel that having guys like Krug and McAvoy might come in handy going forward if they want to win games.

Even if people don't put any stock in toughness as a deterrent (which I do), the fact that clean, hard hits sometimes wear down and even injure the opposing team should make everyone here want the B's to improve in that area.

I'm not talking Ott or Cooke. I'm talking guys who hit hard and know what they are doing with and without the puck. Dustin Brown, either of the Foligno's, etc.

I 100% believe that the more the opposition is worried about getting hit -- the less able and likely they are to deliver a hit. Nothing is absolute in sports but why would anyone be happy watching their players get carted off the ice, and manhandled while on it, regardless of the outcome?

I know I can sound like a broken record, but I truly feel that this season will be their best chance at a cup for at least the next 5. To watch their chances dwindle away because Sweeney is too afraid to make a bold move will be criminal.

well thought out and written post. I honestly agree with almost all of it, my point isn’t to those points though, it’s those calling the Bruins winning “depressing” and have been saying the same things for 10 years, just waiting to pounce every chance you get.

You’re a great poster and fan, I have a suspicion you aren’t pouting after wins or feeling that way.

Even that guy that hated Bergeron and the Thomas hater who lived in his moms basement gave it up after awhile. :laugh:

Reactions: sarge88

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I would have been thrilled they won. I may not have enjoyed it as much as the 2011 or 72 ( what I can remember of it) teams but winning the cup is the only thing that really matters. I dont think a team this soft can win a cup and the Blues proved it last year.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You really believe this? You think that the Caps are laughing about the loss and how soft the Bruins are? Please tell me you're being facetious/dramatic and trying to make a point.

If you're seriously thinking this is what goes through an extremely competitive and proud guy like Ovechkin's head I'm prettly sure you're way the f*** off base.

You're pointing to a level of arrogance that experience players who've seen what it takes to win a cup don't have.
I think the Capitals are dying to play this team in April and realize that a game in December where they lost but physically dominated a team means little to them. Caps got on a plane and went home, Bruins D went to the hospital. Caps lost nothing the other night. They intimidated the Bruins and sent a clear message of how they are going to play and beat them in the playoffs after the first period.

Unless Sweeney wakes up they get swept or lose in 5 in the playoffs to washington.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I dunno, I don’t think you’ll be stopping by any parades, it sounds like they would be too tough for your emotions to handle.

I’m curious when you’re talking about though...because I’m 90% sure they are read without success. I know it’s not 2011 and 2013 because your 10 year broken record was playing back then as well, pining for guys like Anthony Camara, Tyler Randall, Brian McGratton, Steve Macintyre and other completely useless bums to drag our team down.

It was the same thing in 2013, we lost the cup cause we weren’t “tough enough” and if we added a heavy weight it would be the answer. Yawn.

I don’t think the vast majority of Bruins fans are “depressed” after wins. I don’t think the majority of fans think this team is heartless or gutless...I think you’re on an island there. The same island you’ve sat on for 10 years, pouting because Colton Orr has no place in the game anymore. I always appreciate the attempts to dress it up differently though. Some creative stuff through the years.
Maybe they and you should have learned something after 2013, if not last year. But hey enjoy watching them win regular season games getting the **** kicked out of them. Let's see how well they do in the playoffs if this bunch is what they go into the playoffs with. I'm betting one maybe two rounds.

member 96824

Maybe they and you should have learned something after 2013, if not last year. But hey enjoy watching them win regular season games getting the **** kicked out of them. Let's see how well they do in the playoffs if this bunch is what they go into the playoffs with. I'm betting one maybe two rounds.

1 maybe 2 rounds? I’ll gladly take the other side of that bet.

But yes, per your request, I’ll continue to enjoy watching the Bruins win hockey games. I’m baffled that’s an insult in this bizarre world.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
well thought out and written post. I honestly agree with almost all of it, my point isn’t to those points though, it’s those calling the Bruins winning “depressing” and have been saying the same things for 10 years, just waiting to pounce every chance you get.

You’re a great poster and fan, I have a suspicion you aren’t pouting after wins or feeling that way.

Even that guy that hated Bergeron and the Thomas hater who lived in his moms basement gave it up after awhile. :laugh:

I get it...

I was pretty worked up after Monday’s game though.

Didn’t like a lot of what went on, aside from the goals.

Long season, though.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I would have been thrilled they won. I may not have enjoyed it as much as the 2011 or 72 ( what I can remember of it) teams but winning the cup is the only thing that really matters. I dont think a team this soft can win a cup and the Blues proved it last year.

Fair enough. I disagree that this team couldn't win it, because the margin was tiny - if they score first in G7, as they should have, then they probably win the game and the Cup, but I appreciate that you'd have enjoyed it if they did.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I think the Capitals are dying to play this team in April and realize that a game in December where they lost but physically dominated a team means little to them. Caps got on a plane and went home, Bruins D went to the hospital. Caps lost nothing the other night. They intimidated the Bruins and sent a clear message of how they are going to play and beat them in the playoffs after the first period.

Unless Sweeney wakes up they get swept or lose in 5 in the playoffs to washington.

But despite winning the physical battle the caps got thrashed on the scoreboard. One could argue that reality is 180 degrees different than your proposition.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

If the implication here is that they lost in the Cup final due to getting the snot beat out of them you are wrong and weren’t watching closely. Just like they lost to that very physical Columbus team...oh wait...they disposed of them didn’t they? Oh well. Whatever fits your agenda.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

I think for anyone who likes winning, you'd be concerned how the Bruins top 6 matches up against the contenders who play a physical style which has been effective against the Bruins regardless if you trend toward believing a speed and skill style or a more physical style is the best approach. we are running out of chances with Krejci and Bergeron and Id be happy if they addressed a need to prevent them from losing another cup opportunity. Satisfied with losing to the Blues in game 7? not the slightest bit with a Bergeron Krejci core who is judged on cup wins and has now lost their lost 2 finals. If they don't address the need and the Bruins get pushed around again, i won't be celebrating that just like I didnt celebrate last year. I'll probably blame the FO for not doing their job to fix the issue along with the void at RW once again

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
If the implication here is that they lost in the Cup final due to getting the snot beat out of them you are wrong and weren’t watching closely. Just like they lost to that very physical Columbus team...oh wait...they disposed of them didn’t they? Oh well. Whatever fits your agenda.
Physically dominated for 7 games and one of the main reasons they lost
But like you say whatever fits your agenda.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I think for anyone who likes winning, you'd be concerned how the Bruins top 6 matches up against the contenders who play a physical style which has been effective against the Bruins regardless if you trend toward believing a speed and skill style or a more physical style is the best approach. we are running out of chances with Krejci and Bergeron and Id be happy if they addressed a need to prevent them from losing another cup opportunity. Satisfied with losing to the Blues in game 7? not the slightest bit with a Bergeron Krejci core who is judged on cup wins and has now lost their lost 2 finals. If they don't address the need and the Bruins get pushed around again, i won't be celebrating that just like I didnt celebrate last year. I'll probably blame the FO for not doing their job to fix the issue along with the void at RW once again
No mistake this teams short comings fall directly on Sweeney. He wanted a small and soft team and that's what he has. Why that and not being able to get a 2rw are still issues are beyond me. GM of the year my ***

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Physically dominated for 7 games and one of the main reasons they lost
But like you say whatever fits your agenda.

You not only saying they got the shit kicked out of them in that series, but that it also is “one of the main reasons” they lost the final is nothing more than basic theory. Anyone who says this conveniently omits the fact that they entirely dominated St Louis for the opening frame in game 7 and got repeatedly stoned by a goalie playing out of his mind. Even after that, they were the better team and couldn’t overcome a team that was happy to sit back in a trap and bank on their goaltender making every stop. With average goaltending on the other side, they win that game. Don’t believe me? Watch the game again.

It would not hurt this team to get more physical IMO, but you are just taking your opinion as facts.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
But despite winning the physical battle the caps got thrashed on the scoreboard. One could argue that reality is 180 degrees different than your proposition.
Look at the second and third periods after Holtbybhad been pulled and Washington upped the physical play, see howvtgat looks.

Game before christmas break, a team Washington has dominated for years and set the tone for how they will beat in the playoffs, unless Sweeney wakes up, and you really think that this is a big win, bigger than showing they have no response for being intimidated and dont stand up for each other. You are wrong or know nothing about hockey, be it 40 years ago or today's version. Period.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You not only saying they got the **** kicked out of them in that series, but that it also is “one of the main reasons” they lost the final is nothing more than basic theory. Anyone who says this conveniently omits the fact that they entirely dominated St Louis for the opening frame and got repeatedly stoned by a goalie playing out of his mind. Even after that, they were the better team and couldn’t overcome a team that was happy to sit back in a trap and bank on their goaltender making every stop.

It would not hurt this team to get more physical IMO, but you are just taking your opinion as facts.
Hoammer and nail, the hammer wore down the nail and the Blues won. I also said one of the issues but how much was the top line being inconsistent was due to being hammered night in and night out with no response?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Hoammer and nail, the hammer wore down the nail and the Blues won. I also said one of the issues but how much was the top line being inconsistent was due to being hammered night in and night out with no response?

The Bruins were the better team in game 7. Blues just had the better goaltender.

I could watch that game 100 times and it’s hard to believe I could see it any other way.

The Blues were overall the more physical team in that series, but they were outplayed in the final game. I’m not sure how, knowing that, one can honestly say the Bruins getting worn down physically was a main reason for losing.

Reactions: BrainOfJ

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Two of our best players knocked out for however long in less than two periods and the leagues top goal scorer jumped. Team is soft as baby ****

There is also the unknown if either injury will be
a lingering type that impacts their effectiveness
going forward.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
No mistake this teams short comings fall directly on Sweeney. He wanted a small and soft team and that's what he has. Why that and not being able to get a 2rw are still issues are beyond me. GM of the year my ***

Sweeney wanting a small and soft team is complete bull shit. One of his first moves was to give up a 3rd round pick for Rinaldo. Then he signed Beleskey. And Backes. And Ritchie. And drafted Frederic. And on and on. He’s clearly been looking to add some size and toughness from the start. And it hasn’t worked out for several reasons (some his fault, some not) but there’s no doubt he believes it’s something they need.

Reactions: GloveSave1

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
yes because signing a physical forward like Backes has really worked out. Backes salary is by far the biggest issue holding this team back from making a trade

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
1 maybe 2 rounds? I’ll gladly take the other side of that bet.

But yes, per your request, I’ll continue to enjoy watching the Bruins win hockey games. I’m baffled that’s an insult in this bizarre world.

They got bounced around by TB in 2018 and it took
just 5 games. They ran Krug out of the series and
literally knocked out Backes.

That's TB, STL in the PO 2 years in a row and we know what Washington
will do to them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->