Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

Jul 6, 2016
First thought.. big whoop. A late third. Might as well have kept him or packaged him with someone to actually get something of value.

Why not keep him until the end of the season ? Even if it is just for entertainment reasons. Fans at the Bell deserve that AT LEAST. The guy had a positive impact on the rest of the team. Sad ending. MB would have had plenty of time to renegotiate a new contract with him before next July 1st.

Not impressed with that trade for sure. I am scared about what he's gonna do before 3 o'clock tomorrow.

Reactions: NineteenSixtyFive

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Sigh ... .god that was fun.. ill never forget those magical couple of weeks with him

Maybe sign him in the summer...

At least he went to my 2nd favorite team lol, looks like another capitals fun playoff drive to look forward to

Better do something amazing with all these picks Marc....
Lol

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Kovalchuk was fun to watch for the time he was here. I wish him nothing but success in DC.
I doubt Bergevin does much more.

Not expecting anything remotely significant either. One of our bottom F or D will get shipped maybe. Petry, Tatar and Domi are safe.

Reactions: Tyson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
No joke, this will be enough for the usual suspects to say "another GREAT trade by Bergevin" and that he had a "excellent trade deadline, getting a 2nd and 3rd pick for nothing."
And this will be enough for the usual suspects to say " he should have sale the entire team out of X Y Z " he didn't and it's the end of the world"

Dead line is just one window time of the season to trade player(s) . Bergevin did very well during last summers with the Maxpac, Galchenyuk trades .

Reactions: sharks9

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Except we didn't get the 2nd and 3rd picks for nothing. By having those two, we advanced a lot in the standings. Hence basically traded down in the first round in order to get 2nd and 3rd round picks as of now.
Hmmm that is an interesting point of view... hard to disagree though we didn't advance that much.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
The last two weeks must have killed his value. I thought we would get a 2nd for sure. Basically getting a 4th if the Caps do well in the playoffs. Not impressed.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
so lavoie said 17# wanted to go to a contender. i get it.
now we have 13 picks, majority of them mid-rounders which have
a 5% chance of even making it.

Reactions: dinodebino

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Not sure why some people seem so angry with this ? Fact is Kovalchuk didn't have much value so a 3rd is a fine return. Sure a 2nd would have been cool but Kovy is a 37 years old UFA who is in the twilight of his career and was a free agent not long ago with very few teams showing interest due to how it ended up with LA. Yeah he had a nice little stretch of games after joining the Habs but let's be real that was not gonna last.

In resume this is basically a free 3rd round pick. It's fine for that it is

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hmmm that is an interesting point of view... hard to disagree though we didn't advance that much.

I mean it is revisionist history. Ultimately any good decision we made for the team this season hurt the tank. MB tried to improve the team - and did. But it was too little too late. And he should have done better with that 6.5 million of cap space in the summer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Could it have been a 3rd this year that became a 2nd next year? I'm sure they could have given up another pick. Either way, I'm just surprised the Bruins didn't match this.

I don't know if that could happen. I never seen a conditional pick transfer over to the following draft. Only ones we know get transferred are the lottery protected picks.

Honestly, it's not that I don't think the Bruins weren't willing to match this, I think a part of why they traded him to Washington was to send Kovalchuk to a contender, but also to play with his good friend Ovechkin. Not to mention, they also have Kuznetsov and Orlov, who Kovalchuk has played with internationally. That is my thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad