Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
No joke, this will be enough for the usual suspects to say "another GREAT trade by Bergevin" and that he had a "excellent trade deadline, getting a 2nd and 3rd pick for nothing."
Don't really see why people are put off by several posters saying that Bergevin is good at getting value. I mean he did get a 2nd+3rd+conditional 4th by only giving up a 4th and like a bit of money. That is a good move to me. Now if you want to talk about vision and drafting/development THATS where nobody will defend him.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
No joke, this will be enough for the usual suspects to say "another GREAT trade by Bergevin" and that he had a "excellent trade deadline, getting a 2nd and 3rd pick for nothing."

It's a good start obviously, but no where near what I'd call "excellent".

For anyone saying that.
images

Reactions: Redux91

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So, anyone else thinks we taking a run at the 15th pick :laugh:

Well trading Kovy severely hurts those chances.

My guess is we traded him only because he wouldn't commit to re-signing. Otherwise we would have re-signed him and the drive for the 15th pick would have continued.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
My guess is he resigns here.

Also, how does this trade figure in the playoff dreams of the team? Does this mean Bergy is being logical?

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I'm good with this. Bergevin didn't hold on to him with false hope to make the playoffs. Now we just need him to move some UFA's and Tatar tomorrow.

Personally I'd keep Petry. Maybe move him at the draft when there are better players available to fill needs on the team or just re-sign him after July 1.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Unfortunately, Washington doesn't have a 2nd round pick available in order for it to be a conditional 3rd.

And they don't have a 3rd in 2021 to make it a conditional 3rd to become a 2nd next year either.

It was either their 3rd this year. Or their 4th next year because they wouldn't give up a 1st.
Could it have been a 3rd this year that became a 2nd next year? I'm sure they could have given up another pick. Either way, I'm just surprised the Bruins didn't match this.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm sad, but this was the right move. Was hoping for a better return but whatever. This is an extra 2nd and 3rd that we didn't think we would have a few months ago. Hoping for more moves to come.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Except we didn't get the 2nd and 3rd picks for nothing. By having those two, we advanced a lot in the standings. Hence basically traded down in the first round in order to get 2nd and 3rd round picks as of now.

Reactions: waffledave

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Sigh ... .god that was fun.. ill never forget those magical couple of weeks with him

Maybe sign him in the summer...

At least he went to my 2nd favorite team lol, looks like another capitals fun playoff drive to look forward to

Better do something amazing with all these picks Marc....

Reactions: Tyson

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Even if he sucked lately, I'm all good with giving him that 1 year contract in the summer. Have to think that it would be pretty likely with us trading him to the destination of his choosing.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad