Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Well looks like this trade happened while I was typing my post in the trade deadline GDT. :) I thought MB might've held on to him TBH. Take the free 3rd rounder and move on I guess.. Good luck with the Caps Kovy.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I was expecting a 2nd but it's a free pick. Washington was probably the best spot for Kovalchuk. He goes to a contender, plays with his a countryman and joins a team with a number of scorers.

Let's see if he comes back July 1st. Even if he doesn't, it was fun while it lasted.
It's the perfect destination for him ; he will join a contender team with a friend of him in Ovechkin . It will be hot to see those two together with their passion ( even if not in the same line )

Cookie007

Mar 23, 2011
Cmon folks. Yes kovy was spectacular in his first 10 games. But who in their right mind would pay a 2nd for a 36 year old who is scoreless in his last 6. Struggled in LA. And is a pending ufa. For all they know those first few games with the habs was him showcasing himself. Prob an agreement between player and management.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
He came back to the NHL to win the Cup. He signed with Montreal since we were (one of?) the only team(s) to give him a shot after LA bought him out. If he liked his time so much, I'm sure he'll be able to come back in the summer.

Right now, a 36 year old winger isn't what the Habs need.

He's the most exciting forward we had since Kovalev/Radulov. I'm fed up of watching some boring scrubs with 0 creativity play.

Trade this whole f***ing team.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
No joke, this will be enough for the usual suspects to say "another GREAT trade by Bergevin" and that he had a "excellent trade deadline, getting a 2nd and 3rd pick for nothing."
Or you could get all the usual suspects who say, come on Bergy, you should've signed him to an extension or traded him for a 1st rounder

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You know at the very least we could have made it a conditional 3rd that became a 2nd if the Caps made it to the 2nd round. We are retaining on him and the Caps are a top team in the league. I'll believe Bergevin in that we couldn't get anything more though which sucks.

Unfortunately, Washington doesn't have a 2nd round pick available in order for it to be a conditional 3rd.

And they don't have a 3rd in 2021 to make it a conditional 3rd to become a 2nd next year either.

It was either their 3rd this year. Or their 4th next year because they wouldn't give up a 1st.

Reactions: DavePeak

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
No joke, this will be enough for the usual suspects to say "another GREAT trade by Bergevin" and that he had a "excellent trade deadline, getting a 2nd and 3rd pick for nothing."
If anyone says that they better stop watching hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad