Confirmed with Link: Kovalchuk (50% retained) to Washington for a 2020 3rd

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Happy for him.

A third is disappointing, but fine. I was hoping for a 2nd.

I think the fact his game was really tailing off the last few games likely hurt his value.

Adding a lot of picks that will potentially help the AHL team in two years is also good. We need to build a strong farm system after 8 years of having nothing down there.

Last edited:

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
You can retain up to 3 players
So... Scandella and Kovalchuk so far... still 1 more slot... Carey?

Edit: Probably not Carey, but it means Bergy could have a hard time moving both Petry and Tatar if it was his wish (not necessarily something I would want, I'm not sure). I know Caps are close to the Cap, but it seems like a waste of a Salary Retain slot for that low $$$.

Reactions: jaffy27

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I'm low key pissed, I got to assume at this point that he didn't want to sign with us.

I would have still kept him instead of that 4th round pick for him to mentor our younger players for the nezt 20 some games.

At least he will get a chance to win the Cup by playing with his best friend Alex Ovechkin.

Anyways, I'm out...no point in me watching this shity team without Kovalchuk.
He came back to the NHL to win the Cup. He signed with Montreal since we were (one of?) the only team(s) to give him a shot after LA bought him out. If he liked his time so much, I'm sure he'll be able to come back in the summer.

Right now, a 36 year old winger isn't what the Habs need.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I was expecting a 2nd but it's a free pick. Washington was probably the best spot for Kovalchuk. He goes to a contender, plays with his a countryman and joins a team with a number of scorers.

Let's see if he comes back July 1st. Even if he doesn't, it was fun while it lasted.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You know at the very least we could have made it a conditional 3rd that became a 2nd if the Caps made it to the 2nd round. We are retaining on him and the Caps are a top team in the league. I'll believe Bergevin in that we couldn't get anything more though which sucks.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I think the reason the Habs retained 50% of his league minimum salary was to appease Kovalchuk, who wanted to go play with his friend Ovechkin and for a cup contender. So they helped the Caps with the cap.

Almost like they're trading him on good terms and maybe keep the door open for a possible return in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad