Cross-posting for posterity:

Kris Letang 'Stats'

Record with: 22-12
Record without: 17-5

GF/g with Letang: 3.1
GA/g with Letang: 2.4

GF/g without Letang: 3.3
GA/g without Letang: 2.3

Yet people like madden think the pens would've scored 4 goals tonight with letang.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well, this is rather damning.

I don't think the record is damning, as I didn't look at the opponents or any other context/circumstances.

I think the GA/GF stats are a bit damning, not because I think the improvements are statistically significant (they aren't), but because there IS NO DROP OFF, which is the whole selling point for Letang (the offense can't operate without him).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't think the record is damning, as I didn't look at the opponents or any other context/circumstances.

I think the GA/GF stats are a bit damning, not because I think the improvements are statistically significant (they aren't), but because there IS NO DROP OFF, which is the whole selling point for Letang (the offense can't operate without him).

In that vein, I will give the Pens, and yes the coaching staff, some credit for one thing tonight.

The Sens usually get a TON of shots. Not tonight. Not that the Pens went all in on defense, they had over 40 shots, but still that is somewhat impressive.

However, if they are indeed working on 'playoff' hockey, not getting any traffic in front of the opposing goalie (hence over 40 shots and 1 goal), and not clearing the net in front of Fleury, as has been the rule of late, is going to kill them in the playoffs.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
if we trade Letang for someone to play 3C I may just quit

Me two. Jesus. Ogrezilla, I find that our opinions recently have been extremely divergent on most matters of late, but I couldn't agree with you more on this one. Thankfully, I think it's also and absolute ****ing the most unlikely scenario to ever happen. I love Kesler as a player and for what he brings to whatever team he plays for, but he's a guy who is breaking down and won't be able to sustain his level of play long term; and while he can play right wing and he can at times be an offensive force, he's not a natural scorer.

Of all the dumb moves Shero has ever made, you'd have to add them all up and probably multiply them a few fold to equal how stupid it would be if Kesler was the player we traded Letang for.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It's damning for what Letang is supposed to mean to the team and how much he's being paid for that. The team maintains without him, it marginally improves over the sample size without in depth analysis.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I hate to keep saying it, but Letang is the epitome of a luxury to this team. He's extremely valuable, and we're fine (if not better) without him. He's also the type of player that the vast majority of the league would be interested in. Add to that, we have a GLARING weakness in our top line, and our bottom six is ass. How many more factors do you need before you decide to trade the guy? :laugh:

Michael8771*

Didn't we learn a few seasons ago that Letang isn't the be all end all for the transition game?
I've always viewed him as an enigma, he's talented, but he'll make you (at times) want to pull your hair out. No question we can thrive without him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I've always viewed him as an enigma, he's talented, but he'll make you (at times) want to pull your hair out. No question we can thrive without him.

All the talent in the world, and the hockey IQ of a Primanti's sandwich. He's like Fleury, but a dummy instead of a headcase.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I don't think it's damning. The sample size is too small and the Pens have had longer stretches in past years where they would play awful without Letang. I'm not saying he isn't expendable. I think this year some other guys have developed to where we don't miss him as much when he's not in the lineup so I'd be open to moving him in the right deal. I have my doubts the Pens will though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think it's damning. The sample size is too small and the Pens have had longer stretches in past years where they would play awful without Letang. I'm not saying he isn't expendable. I think this year some other guys have developed to where we don't miss him as much when he's not in the lineup so I'd be open to moving him in the right deal. I have my doubts the Pens will though.

Yeah, but back then, there was no Olli Maatta and Matt Niskanen was still finding his confidence.

Different times, Letang was the driving force at one point, then others got better, the team adapted.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
Me two. Jesus. Ogrezilla, I find that our opinions recently have been extremely divergent on most matters of late, but I couldn't agree with you more on this one. Thankfully, I think it's also and absolute ****ing the most unlikely scenario to ever happen. I love Kesler as a player and for what he brings to whatever team he plays for, but he's a guy who is breaking down and won't be able to sustain his level of play long term; and while he can play right wing and he can at times be an offensive force, he's not a natural scorer.

Of all the dumb moves Shero has ever made, you'd have to add them all up and probably multiply them a few fold to equal how stupid it would be if Kesler was the player we traded Letang for.

Now that is not true at all, he's got an incredible shot.

Michael8771*

I found this interesting. I know stats don't always reflect a players progression and what not but this comparison seems inevitable

Letang turned 20 in april of his final season in juniors 40gp 14g 38a 52 points +19

Pouliot turned 20 in the middle of January 40gp 13g 37a 50 points +26

Both players played (or are playing) on good teams. DP in the WHL, Letang in the QMJHL.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Who said anything about trading for a 3C.

Someone here opined about Kesler. I wouldn't do a deal centered around him because he's starting the downside of his career, but I do look at him like I look at ROR.

While both players are natural centers, they're not whiny little biatches like Staal and actually would consent to be used like Staal could've been used if he didn't cry anytime anyone thought about sliding him to Sid's or Geno's wing.

So, does a guy like that qualify as a 3C.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
What is our record and GF/GA with Neal out this year?

Can't speak to the record, but I pretty sure that Geno's scoring and +/- improved exponentially when Neal returned.

EDIT: It looks like it's 23-10-2 with him and 16-5 without him. It's 8-3 where he plays but Letang doesn't and it's 15-7-2 where he plays and Letang plays. Kind of comparable on the record actually.

EDIT TWO: With Malkin, it's 33-11-2 when he plays and 7-4 hen he doesn't.

EDIT THREE: With Orpik, it's 32-14-2 when he plays and 7-1 when he doesn't.

I don't have the patience for GF/GA . . . :)

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Not advocating the deal, but how would getting Kesler be different than getting ROR? You'd be getting a guy who you could use like Staal if he hadn't been such a whiny ***** about playing center all the time.

The guy right above me specifically mentioned him as 3C. I should have quoted him I guess.

Does Kesler play wing? I didn't want to trade for ROR before I knew he could play wing.

member 51464

I would be down to trade Letang if it fixed Crosby's wing situation for the foreseeable future. But I would almost rather keep Letang if it ensured ridding ourselves of Orpik this year......any chance we dump both?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad