News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Trading Niskanen for futures is a good trade for us, organizationally speaking, right now. It's outside of the box, so the chances of Shero actually doing something this ballsy is beyond remote, but we have no 2nd round pick this year, the 2015 is ridiculously deep, and trading Niskanen allows us to be a LOT tougher from the back end for the playoffs. This essentially kills two birds with one stone.

I assume, of course, teams would be interested in paying quite a bit for his services. Again, trading a guy having a career year is never a bad idea (especially if he's not indispensable). This SHOULD have happened with Pascal Dupuis, but it didn't happen.

It makes us a worse team going into the playoffs. That makes it a bad idea.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah despite his summer workouts the guy has not been very durable the last couple seasons. Wonder if his diet plays a role, at least as far as the illness stuff. Might be one of those guys that does the hella-crazy workout regimen but doesn't eat right. God knows I didn't in my 20s. Even in my early 30s.

Letang is the case of a guy overtraining, IMO.

Rydgar

Jul 15, 2010
Surrey, BC
You tell us why you think that's a good idea.

I saw people here wanting Eberle and I thought Kesler would make a better winger for Crosby than him. This on top of the fact that he can slide in third line C if your team needs to play a shutdown game and that his salary cap is 1 mil less.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Letang is the case of a guy overtraining, IMO.

Letang is the case of a guy overcomplicating his game through a large amount of risk taking on ice compared to just making the simple play. This is known as Mike Green syndrome.

As soon as Letang simplifies his game, his instincts and athleticism will take over and he'll be as effective as he was last season without the amount of turnovers he's having this year.

I think the Norris trophy nod and amount of his contract next year are in his head forcing him to take all these risks leading to turnovers.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'd consider it [Letang to Vancouver for Kesler]. I do think a little bit extra would have to come over from Vancouver to make it work, but I don't think Letang is a Tortorella type player.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd consider it. I do think a little bit extra would have to come over from Vancouver to make it work, but I don't think Letang is a Tortorella type player.

Tortorella loved Dan Boyle in TB. Very similar players though Boyle was better on the PP as a playmaker IMO.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Letang is the case of a guy overcomplicating his game through a large amount of risk taking on ice compared to just making the simple play. This is known as Mike Green syndrome.

As soon as Letang simplifies his game, his instincts and athleticism will take over and he'll be as effective as he was last season without the amount of turnovers he's having this year.

I think the Norris trophy nod and amount of his contract next year are in his head forcing him to take all these risks leading to turnovers.

What does Letang's injuries have to do with him over complicating his game?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I saw people here wanting Eberle and I thought Kesler would make a better winger for Crosby than him. This on top of the fact that he can slide in third line C if your team needs to play a shutdown game and that his salary cap is 1 mil less.

He is no question about it, the ideal 3C for this team, money notwithstanding.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
What does Letang's injuries have to do with him over complicating his game?

Well, I'm talking about the game I've seen from Letang on the ice this season and just "my opinion."

I have no idea about any injuries on or off the ice since it really hasn't been reported on.

We know he's supposedly sick right now but what in the hell does that mean? Does he have the flu, ebola virus, or mad cow disease?

Again, his play on the ice is what I'm making my basis on for complicating his game this season compared to last year.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well, I'm talking about the game I've seen from Letang on the ice this season and just "my opinion."

I have no idea about any injuries on or off the ice since it really hasn't been reported on.

We know he's supposedly sick right now but what in the hell does that mean? Does he have the flu, ebola virus, or mad cow disease?

Again, his play on the ice is what I'm making my basis on for complicating his game this season compared to last year.

I don't disagree with you, but we were talking about him being constantly injured.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
if we trade Letang for someone to play 3C I may just quit

Not advocating the deal, but how would getting Kesler be different than getting ROR? You'd be getting a guy who you could use like Staal if he hadn't been such a whiny ***** about playing center all the time.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Doesn't anyone happen to know our record this season, with and without Letang??

Fire Shero*

Doesn't anyone happen to know our record this season, with and without Letang??

Great question. We seem to be a better team without him. Maybe the pens are concerned his value is currently at an all time low. Constantly injured and when he is able to play he looks horrible.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd consider it [Letang to Vancouver for Kesler]. I do think a little bit extra would have to come over from Vancouver to make it work, but I don't think Letang is a Tortorella type player.

I think Torts is exactly the type of coach Letang needs, a guy that won't take any of his crap, I mean look at Edler when he plays like crap, he got benched by Torts, could you imagine Letang getting that treatment? Either he implodes and asks to be traded or he takes it as challenge to get better and this time, finally does. If that's what he needs to get there, fine, I'll be ok with Kesler I guess, I would hope Shero could get more than just Kesler though. Not that Kesler sucks, he's kind of dropped numbers wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad