News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

Hophog

Aug 7, 2006
Hershey, PA
tin_foil_hat.gif

:laugh:

That's why I didn't think I could be the first one, on these boards, to mention it.

I wasn't thinking that he could still be traded up until July 1st without his limited trade clause kicking in. If that's the case then it wouldn't make any sense for him to be faking it now. I thought that once he got beyond this trade deadline he was safe to the extent that he'd, at least, be able to limit where he was going to a bunch of teams that might not be as interested in him.

M10

Dec 7, 2013
I think it's safe to say that it isn't anything to do with a trade. Guys typically don't get scratched unless it's a sure thing. There's really no way it takes this long to happen, all the while a GM like Shero leaving a player hanging in limbo, especially one he just committed to for 8 years.

It's definitely strange that they said he was ill only to be shown in the press box all smiles during the game. Of course that doesn't rule out him in fact being ill, but it kind of looks bad from a PR standpoint. People associate illness with being in bed or at rest, not up and at'em. Anyone who knows the Penguins organization knows that they coddle their players and when health issues arise they are downright arrogant about discussing them. Which is good for the players, bad for inquiring minds.

Whatever though.

Last edited:
May 10, 2010
It's basically sounds like he does the Paleo-diet in the offseason, which

There's no way to conclude that he does paleo by the information provided. Low carb eating was around in many forms well before paleo became the new vegan where everyone wants to form little support groups and wear tshirts and argue every little detail about what paleo means like some crazy crossfitter.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There's no way to conclude that he does paleo by the information provided. Low carb eating was around in many forms well before paleo became the new vegan where everyone wants to form little support groups and wear tshirts and argue every little detail about what paleo means like some crazy crossfitter.

well said.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I really hope Bortuzzo is in the top 6 come playoff time and to start the 14/15 season. He brings a much needed element to the lineup

I agree, though some here do not think so. I fully believe, and fully expect, Bort to be a regular member of our top 6 starting next season, based on the reasons you mentioned and his overall performance.

Well, actually, what is described in Letang's "summer diet" is the very definition of a Paleo diet. All a Paleo diet really is at the end of the day is a diet without any grains, legumes, white potatoes and fruit juices or refined sugars (all whole fruits are OK), and no dairy. Sweet potatoes, yams and all types of squash and other root veggies are the kinds of "heavier" foods that are allowed on the Paleo diet.

But yes: a lot of people have got hooked on to the "Paleo" trend, without necessarily knowing and/or following all the correct steps; and thus a lot of false information about what really is or isn't Paleo has been propagated.

Letang is a self-admitted fitness/health freak, so, while overtraining is a possibility, I doubt there's anything wrong with his diet.

Well, that's not necessarily true. Food allergies/intolerances or things like Celiac disease could be a factor. If Letang was eating foods that he is allergic to (probably unknowingly), then such a thing could be a factor.

I know of one prominent NHL "superstar" who had SEVERE issues with a dairy allergy. This was manifesting as part of what seemed to be part of a TBI/post-concussion issue (specifically acute headaches and metal fogginess). Upon cessation of dairy from his diet, his symptoms abated, and he was able to return back to playing.

I'm not saying that is going on with Letang, but it's an example of how other dietary factors can be a major player in how people feel, outside of what sees like a healthy or even a theoretically-perfect diet. AND, many food allergies and even Celiac disease do not necessarily begin at birth. It could be at any age where someone can go from being non-Celiac to Celiac, although there may often be other related signs present before full manifestation of the disease (anti-gliadin antibodies, gluten antibodies, elevated Zonulin immunoglobulins, various G.I or other symptoms, etc.)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I agree, though some here do not think so. I fully believe, and fully expect, Bort to be a regular member of our top 6 starting next season, based on the reasons you mentioned and his overall performance.

I think most think he's good enough to play, just not that he's better than Despres. Both should be in the line-up next year. One of them should be in the line-up now. I'd be happy with either.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Both should be in the lineup NOW.

Well, the only way this would happen is if we lost TWO roster Dmen. I would almost give one of my balls to trade Orpik for the best possible return before the deadline, but this would only open up one spot. Ditto if we trade just Nisky, or just Letang or whatever. So (barring injury), I really cannot conceive of a scenario in which BOTH get in our line up this season.

Next season however....different story. ;)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Even if we're not trading players, we should still ice our six best D-men. Despres is definitely one of our six best. And Bortuzzo has out-performed the other 'physical' D-men this season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Letang is out now, when he returns you trade one of your right defensemen.

well ya, with Letang out they should both be in. I wouldn't move Nisky or Martin for Bort. I have no issue with Bort being our number 7. If we want to get the huge return for Letang, that I'd be happy with that. And Bort being here would help allow us to do it. But Bort isn't so good that we need to push someone out to make a spot for him asap. There is some value in having more than 6 NHL d-men.

Bort deserves to play over Engo and Orpik. Same with Despres. But only one of Engo and Orpik play when we are healthy. Who else do you sit to get Despres in if we are healthy?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
well ya, with Letang out they should both be in. I wouldn't move Nisky or Martin for Bort. I have no issue with Bort being our number 7. If we want to get the huge return for Letang, that I'd be happy with that. And Bort being here would help allow us to do it. But Bort isn't so good that we need to push someone out to make a spot for him asap. There is some value in having more than 6 NHL d-men.

Bort deserves to play over Engo and Orpik. Same with Martin. But only one of Engo and Orpik play when we are healthy. Who else do you sit to get Despres in?

Again, we're a better defense (and overall better team) when Bortuzzo is in the lineup, so the best way to ensure his place in the lineup is to deal a right defenseman.

The most talented blueline isn't necessarily the best blueline. We need Bortuzzo in there. We don't 'need' Niskanen, necessarily.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again, we're a better defense (and overall better team) when Bortuzzo is in the lineup, so the best way to ensure his place in the lineup is to deal a right defenseman.

The most talented blueline isn't necessarily the best blueline. We need Bortuzzo in there. We don't 'need' Niskanen, necessarily.

Niskanen is enough better than Bortuzzo to outweigh any "style" advantage Bort has. Niskanen has probably been our best d-man all year. Sitting him would be idiotic. We are not a better team with Bort in instead of Niskanen. I say this as someone who was ready to drive home from South Carolina and take Niskanen to the airport for a trade in July.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

You don't have to move a RD. You could move two LD and then switch Martin back to the left side.

I got the argument before that he was a dominant right side player, but that doesn't really apply this year.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
just an example:

Maatta - Letang
Martin - Bortuzzo
Despres - Niskanen

might be an OK defense moving forward.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Niskanen is enough better than Bortuzzo to outweigh any "style" advantage Bort has. Niskanen has probably been our best d-man all year. Sitting him would be idiotic.

Trading him wouldn't be. We'd still have 'nhl' defensemen available in case of injury. Engelland is an NHL defenseman. Dumoulin is pretty damn close. Samuelsson has already tasted it. Harrington isn't far away. Pouliot could be at least in the AHL if Portland stumbles in the WHL playoffs.

Sometimes, you have to make a trade to make your team better, even if it's addition by subtraction. Getting Bortuzzo in the lineup for the playoffs should be a priority, imo, ESPECIALLY if Despres is still stuck in the 'A'.

Besides, this would also be cashing in on Niskanen while his value is sky-high. I am assuming Letang returns to health at some point or else all bets are off.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
You don't have to move a RD. You could move two LD and then switch Martin back to the left side.

I got the argument before that he was a dominant right side player, but that doesn't really apply this year.

Martin has always been pretty mediocre on the left side, throughout his career. But OK, I know you're not a Scuderi fan, so if you'd rather trade Scuderi than Niskanen I'll buy what you're selling.

Do you think we can re-sign Niskanen for equal or less than what Scuderi is making? Otherwise, we're overpaying again or losing an extra defenseman we otherwise wouldn't be losing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would much rather trade Letang for a really good return and re-sign Nisky than trade Nisky for a rental return. To put it simply, playoff teams don't sell off their better players at the deadline. Nisky is a rental. The teams interested in him would be playoff teams who wouldn't be looking to trade away roster players. He just isn't going to bring back enough value this year to be worth trading. Trading Niskanen would make us a worse team in the short term.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Martin has always been pretty mediocre on the left side, throughout his career. But OK, I know you're not a Scuderi fan, so if you'd rather trade Scuderi than Niskanen I'll buy what you're selling.

Do you think we can re-sign Niskanen for equal or less than what Scuderi is making? Otherwise, we're overpaying again or losing an extra defenseman we otherwise wouldn't be losing.

No Niskanen won't make that little. I'm not suggesting moving Scuderi (mainly because I know Shero won't) just saying they have options. You can move two RHS or a RHS and a LHS or Two LHS and stIll field a great defense.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Definitely not. But we're not talking about a huge difference. We're talking about $1 million/year, so it's not really a deal breaker. Nisky is going to be looking for term AND money. He'll take a hometown discount, but it would still take $4.2 to $4.5 per year to get him.

And because of both Maatta's arrival in the NHL, and having Harrington not far away (aka Scuderi 2.0++), I would be willing to part with Scuderi no problem. But the market & return would have to be really strong to justify and taking risk of trading a guy we just signed this summer before even one full season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would much rather trade Letang for a really good return and re-sign Nisky than trade Nisky for a rental return. To put it simply, playoff teams don't sell off their better players at the deadline. Nisky is a rental. The teams interested in him would be playoff teams who wouldn't be looking to trade away roster players. He just isn't going to bring back enough value this year to be worth trading. Trading Niskanen would make us a worse team in the short term.

Trading Niskanen for futures is a good trade for us, organizationally speaking, right now. It's outside of the box, so the chances of Shero actually doing something this ballsy is beyond remote, but we have no 2nd round pick this year, the 2015 is ridiculously deep, and trading Niskanen allows us to be a LOT tougher from the back end for the playoffs. This essentially kills two birds with one stone.

I assume, of course, teams would be interested in paying quite a bit for his services. Again, trading a guy having a career year is never a bad idea (especially if he's not indispensable). This SHOULD have happened with Pascal Dupuis, but it didn't happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad