News Article: Kovacevic: Time to trade Letang could be now

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think it's damning. The sample size is too small and the Pens have had longer stretches in past years where they would play awful without Letang. I'm not saying he isn't expendable. I think this year some other guys have developed to where we don't miss him as much when he's not in the lineup so I'd be open to moving him in the right deal. I have my doubts the Pens will though.

It's not damning. What it shows, IMO, is that our prospects have improved to the point where Letang is no longer a necessity for transition and offensive production. That, and Niskanen playing really well. It's too small of a sample size to say Letang is expendable, but it's moving in that direction.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Now that is not true at all, he's got an incredible shot.

Who said anything about trading for a 3C.

Someone here opined about Kesler. I wouldn't do a deal centered around him because he's starting the downside of his career, but I do look at him like I look at ROR.

While both players are natural centers, they're not whiny little biatches like Staal and actually would consent to be used like Staal could've been used if he didn't cry anytime anyone thought about sliding him to Sid's or Geno's wing.

So, does a guy like that qualify as a 3C.

I never said he wouldn't look good, and I mentioned my other reasons for concern (like you: on the downside of his career, breaks down physically based on his style of play, etc.).

Don't get me wrong: Kesler would be Guerin+++ if he magically appeared tomorrow on Sidney's RW. I'm just saying that I would barf if he was the guy we traded Letang for.

As I've said before, if we were to dangle Letang in a deal, we should have the pick of the litter of various top young players. Kesler would be great here, but he wouldn't be the best, and I'd rather get someone a bit younger who only has their best years ahead of them (Eberle, Kane, etc.). OR, Vancouver would have to add a young piece (Shinkaruk, 1st rounder this year, etc.), and I think that's exactly what they do not want to do if they end up "re-tooling" their team. So I just doubt the fit is right.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think the difference between Kesler and O'Reilly is that one's career is trending downward, while the other's career is trending upward. That and I've always felt Kesler was a bit of a d-bag.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Thanks to those posting the Letang stats I asked about. I was curious to see the breakdown so far this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can't speak to the record, but I pretty sure that Geno's scoring and +/- improved exponentially when Neal returned.

EDIT: It looks like it's 23-10-2 with him and 16-5 without him. It's 8-3 where he plays but Letang doesn't and it's 15-7-2 where he plays and Letang plays. Kind of comparable on the record actually.

Thanks KIRK. I wanted to know but I'm exceptionally lazy.

There are arguments to trade Letang, but win/loss record alone sure ain't one since the same standard could be used to justify trading Neal, and I don't think anyone wants that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Cross-posting for posterity:

Kris Letang 'Stats'

Record with: 22-12
Record without: 17-5

GF/g with Letang: 3.1
GA/g with Letang: 2.4

GF/g without Letang: 3.3
GA/g without Letang: 2.3

Woof...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Thanks KIRK. I wanted to know but I'm exceptionally lazy.

There are arguments to trade Letang, but win/loss record alone sure ain't one since the same standard could be used to justify trading Neal, and I don't think anyone wants that.

I don't think there is any argument to say that we need to trade Letang for the sake of getting rid of him. The argument for trading Letang is that we can survive without him.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think there is any argument to say that we need to trade Letang for the sake of getting rid of him. The argument for trading Letang is that we can survive without him.

My argument is that we play a safer brand of hockey without him. And our offensive production doesn't dip since he's not a requirement on the PP. We could use Despres' transition game though if Letang is moved. But as long as we have him available to us when that's abundantly clear in a playoff series, we'd be fine.

Plus the increased puck possession from Sid's line would leave us playing less in our own end.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
120 for 186

that's the Letang stat that discourages me most. Missing 35% of the Pens games the past 3 seasons. You don't trade a guy just because he's "injury prone" or whatever, but in my opinion it does gives you more reason to consider moving him in the right deal.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Exactly, the stats alone do not tell the whole story. It's important information, indeed, but you can't base your decision entirely on that, when you consider both performances further in the past, and projections for the future. For sure, Letang has not had the season we're used to. But if this was last year or the year prior, the thought of trading Letang would be almost as distasteful as trading Malkin.

I'm not saying we shouldn't/couldn't trade him, but we need to exercise extreme caution and judiciousness when deciding if we should move a player of this calibre and upside (and what exactly we would be willing to get in a return for him).

No, that is not the correct argument. The ONLY argument that needs to made for trading Letang is that if we pull of a trade of "Letang for XYZ" that the return we get for Letang makes us a better team, short and long term.

Until such time as we can get a trade offer that provides a definitive 'yes' answer to that question, trading Letang shouldn't even be a consideration.

I just want Sid's winger problem to be fixed once and for all and Tang is the best asset Shero has to fill that hole.

The once and for all part is the most important, and that pretty much dictates that we need a player who can play for us for at least 5+ years. Not a rental that we can't re-sign, an old declining player, or a band-aid solution. It couldn't be a young player who hasn't quite broken out yet, but is a blue-chipper and has great pedigree (i.e./Coyle/Niederreiter/etc.), and that may not require the price of moving someone as valuable as Letang. It could be a prospect + a draft pick, etc.

But if it comes to pass that we can get an elite, established player (Eberle, Kane, etc.) and Letang has to be on the table, I would trade Kris for an equally valuable forward. But let's remember that at least up until this rocky season, Letang was regarded around the league as a franchise Dman. If we're trading him for a forward, the forward has to have similar status, value and potential.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
No, that is not the correct argument. The ONLY argument that needs to made for trading Letang is that if we pull of a trade of "Letang for XYZ" that the return we get for Letang makes us a better team, short and long term.

In your opinion.

Not saying it is not valid, but I certainly find that it is too much of an auto-pilot thing you have going here.

The thing is that if we can ice a defense that is now (for reasons of Nisky playing really well and Letang being below his level) as good without Letang as it is with him, then short term we lose nothing by making the trade. Long term a return of all potential would be impossible to evaluate short term, but we would lose ourselves Letang's cap-hit, open the door to playing much more cap-effective players, AND for these reasons have plenty of cap-room to find a forward upgrade or two in free agency.

Re-sign Nisky and we can play...

Scuderi Nisky
Despres Martin
Maatta Bortuzzo

...or some combination.... next year. With room to substantially upgrade forward depth, I would be A-OK with that.
Add Orpik and Engelland to the above, and we certainly have enough numbers to ice a good defense this season also. Indeed, it is what we are icing right now.

Until such time as we can get a trade offer that provides a definitive 'yes' answer to that question, trading Letang shouldn't even be a consideration.

Edmonton 1st and Yakupov.... for kicks/arguments sake and because Edmonton is the team in the West that most needs a major minute muncher on D. Yakupov should become a very, very good player with seasoning and the 1st is a lottery pick most likely. Doesn't help us much this season unless Yakupov plays a lot better, but asset wise?

I am saying this as someone who would prefer something different than Yakupov.

Last edited:

Michael8771*

120 for 186

that's the Letang stat that discourages me most. Missing 35% of the Pens games the past 3 seasons. You don't trade a guy just because he's "injury prone" or whatever, but in my opinion it does gives you more reason to consider moving him in the right deal.
Unfortunately that variable can (to some degree) mitigate his trade value.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Edmonton 1st and Yakupov.... for kicks/arguments sake and because Edmonton is the team in the West that most needs a major minute muncher on D. Yakupov should become a very, very good player with seasoning and the 1st is a lottery pick most likely. Doesn't help us much this season unless Yakupov plays a lot better, but asset wise?

Trading Letang for Yak gives you lots of extra cap space this year also, allowing you to activate Vokoun, keep Orpik (if you feel this is a good thing), and have about 4 mil left over. Otherwise, trading Letang will give you roughly 5 mil in cap for the winger you're getting back, which greatly opens up your options.

I think it's a good idea to move Letang for an established elite wing or someone who projects to be such. I just don't think there are a lot of likely trading partners. The trade you mention is surely something Edmonton would do. They need to get better next year, not in three or five years. Yak is really the only significant trade chip they have that they do not seem to consider part of their core.

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh
I love thinking of what Yakupov was predicted to be... and playing next to Crosby.

Yakupov wouldn't have half as much pressure here.
It wouldn't be on him (as 'the NEXT one') to save face for a team with no leadership, no defense, and sporadic bouts of goaltending happening.
No guarantee he'd perform on the Pens though, but at very least, an upgrade over Sill or Ebbett. And right now, the Pens can't take on a project. The next 5 years of Crosby/Malkin are supposed to be their prime... and if Yak is anything but what he was touted to be,
he'll have been a bust and it would make Shero look like a loser.

Unless the Edmonton pick is the 2015 1st and we by chance get Connor McDavid.
Then we have McDavid, Crosby, Kunitz' aging carcass that will still be netting 50 at the rate he's going, Malkin, Yakupov, Maatta, Pouliot, Dumoulin, MAF and Hartzell.

So, if GMRS gambles right, holy **** what a talented team this could be.
For once, I'm on board with trading for the high-risk Yakupov. But Gagner or Hemsky is coming along with him as insurance.

And, as a bonus, lets face it: We could afford to let the eyes that earned Orpik the name "Free Candy" walk in free agency with someone who legitimately looks like a serial killer. That's your intimidation factor.
nail_yakupov_edmonton.jpg

I wonder if we could get both Eberle AND Yakupov in one fell swoop.
After all, defense IS a pressing need on that team, and we do have a stockpile of it including an expendable Norris finalist.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
In your opinion.

Yes, obviously in my opinion, but anyone who thinks Letang should be traded for anything less than an absolutely stellar return

Not saying it is not valid, but I certainly find that it is too much of an auto-pilot thing you have going here.

Yes, obviously in my opinion, but anyone who thinks Letang should be traded for anything less than an absolutely stellar return is both nuts, and out of touch with reality. It's just not going to happen -- in my opinion (and in this universe).

If the Pens even had a little bit of an itch to trade Letang AND there was talk about huge trade offers being thrown at them at the draft (lottery picks and top prospects, etc), they would have taken it. They obviously wanted this player here for a while. At the very least, at least until Pouliot arrives as a regular NHL player, and our other top young guys have cemented themselves on our roster.

The thing is that if we can ice a defense that is now (for reasons of Nisky playing really well and Letang being below his level) as good without Letang as it is with him, then short term we lose nothing by making the trade. Long term a return of all potential would be impossible to evaluate short term, but we would lose ourselves Letang's cap-hit, open the door to playing much more cap-effective players, AND for these reasons have plenty of cap-room to find a forward upgrade or two in free agency.

I'm well aware of the whole "because Nisky is playing so great, Letang is expendable" argument that is so pervasive on these boards. And I have been enjoying Nisky's good play (and advocating we re-sign him long ago, before this thread began and regardless of whether or not Letang is here). But as much as I like Nisky, his upside is not half of what Letang's is.

And there are a few other premises of your statement that I just don't agree with or think make sense:

1) You say that Letang has been playing poorly and Nisky well, and so we wouldn't be losing anything. That is correct in the microcosm of the recent past, but it does not take into account how good our defense will be when Letang brings his A-game. I will not say that Letang has been good this year, and agree with the criticism he's been getting for his play so far this season. But I believe even more strongly in his ability to turn things around and get back to the level of being one of the very best Dmen in the NHL. When/if that happens, our defense group is A LOT stronger with Letang than without him, and he's a MUCH better player than Niskanen is right now.

2) Practically, there is NO chance we move Letang, thinking Nisky can take over, until such time as we get Nisky under contract. An announcement could happen any day, and this organization does tend to keep things very quiet until they happen, but there has been ZERO rumours or news of discussion about the Pens talking contract extensions with Niskanen's camp. To me, a re-signing of Nisky could be a smoking gun and tell me that a Letang trade is much more likely to go down. But until Nisky is re-signed, Letang is not going anywhere.

3) Ridding ourselves of Letang's cap hit is NOT preventing us from making moves this season. His extension has not kicked in yet, and until such time as this does become a real issue, we cannot factor this into the equation. If, come summertime, we're able to sign a guy like, say, Vanek and Letang's cap hit becomes a problem at that time, then I will completely agree with you that it's a problem. But right now that "opportunity cost" that everyone thinks Letang is costing us rests entirely in the realm of fantasy and the hypothetical.

So going forward, in addition to the rising cap, there are many other players we could trade or not re-sign going into next year to free up cap space (Scuderi, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen, Jokinen, Vokoun or even Fleury if he chokes again in the playoffs). So let's save that discussion of how we could better utilize the cap space Letang is costing us when it actually, not hypothetically, interferes with us being able to acquire other players.

Yes: for argument's sake, that is EXACTLY the type and example of a high value deal that could help us long and short term. And if that deal was on the table, I would sign it and would drive Letang to the airport surrounded by a parade.

As I stated in the post you quoted: I am more than happy to trade Letang in a deal that is strong value, and helps us short and long term. But I vehemently reject the notion that there would be any addition-by-subtraction by losing Letang, or that he can be easily replaced over a long term. And I have zero interest in trading any of our assets of significant value (1st rounders, top prospects, and certainly top players like Letang) for rental or band-aid type solutions. It has to be a great hockey trade. If it is, I'm all in.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This mystery illness which clearly wasn't bad enough to stop him from enjoying a game with his mom in the luxury box and laughing it up, is really starting to annoy me.

This seems very fishy.

PPenguins724

87 - undisputed best
Mar 25, 2013
Pittsburgh
This mystery illness which clearly wasn't bad enough to stop him from enjoying a game with his mom in the luxury box and laughing it up, is really starting to annoy me.

This seems very fishy.

In the same respect, do you think he'd be enjoying himself if he knew he was a healthy scratch in trade talks? I would think it would be one of the more frustrating times of his life.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

This seems very fishy.

They showed him in the box last game too. So clearly he's not sick in the sense that he has a fever, or is throwing up, etc. Its either an injury, or something more serious. Maybe mono? I've never had that though so I don't know how serious that gets or how bad the symptoms are.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
They showed him in the box last game too. So clearly he's not sick in the sense that he has a fever, or is throwing up, etc. Its either an injury, or something more serious. Maybe mono? I've never had that though so I don't know how serious that gets or how bad the symptoms are.

I had a fever of 105 when I had mono. It it NOT something where you feel like being around other people. You cannot imagine the coldness you feel when your body is that hot. I also believe mono is contagious in it's early stages.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I had a fever of 105 when I had mono. It it NOT something where you feel like being around other people. You cannot imagine the coldness you feel when your body is that hot. I also believe mono is contagious in it's early stages.

Yeah so if that's the case, then I have no idea what could be wrong with him, but right now it's not sounding good with him not travelling with the team, them taking more tests, and him being in the box looking perfectly fine even last game.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The limited range of what people term an "illness" is interesting. It could be many medically legitimate things where a patient could still attend a hockey game and laugh with his mother. A person can also have a fever and vomiting and still do semi-normal things; they now make drugs that can reduce or eliminate those symptoms.

Mono is only contagious through contact with saliva or mucus, plus its presentation varies from patient to patient (not everyone gets 105 degree fevers). Spleen enlargement would probably be the largest issue in a contact sport. It could be something affecting the spleen or kidneys or gall bladder - none of which needs to be contagious but can be extremely painful and where contact could be dangerous. It could be another infection of a bone or something else which isn't easily passed to other people. It could be the aftermath of a severe allergic reaction. It could be a tick-borne disease. It could be an inflammation or auto-immune issue. It could be related to irregular bloodwork.

It could be fake, but not because his "illness" is "fishy."

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The limited range of what people term an "illness" is interesting. It could be many medically legitimate things where a patient could still attend a hockey game and laugh with his mother. A person can also have a fever and vomiting and still do semi-normal things; they now make drugs that can reduce or eliminate those symptoms.

Mono is only contagious through contact with saliva or mucus, plus its presentation varies from patient to patient (not everyone gets 105 degree fevers). Spleen enlargement would probably be the largest issue in a contact sport. It could be something affecting the spleen or kidneys or gall bladder - none of which needs to be contagious but can be extremely painful and where contact could be dangerous. It could be another infection of a bone or something else which isn't easily passed to other people. It could be the aftermath of a severe allergic reaction. It could be a tick-borne disease. It could be an inflammation or auto-immune issue. It could be related to irregular bloodwork.

It could be fake, but not because his "illness" is "fishy."

Hell it could be as simple and benign as a bad sinus infection that makes it hard to balance and skate without getting dizzy.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Hell it could be as simple and benign as a bad sinus infection that makes it hard to balance and skate without getting dizzy.

True enough although I would only expect further testing for chronic sinus infections, abcesses in the teeth, severely impacted or ruptured sinuses, deviated septum, or some combination thereof.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Letang's upside wouldn't matter so much if we acquired even more upside in any Letang trade.

To me, that's key. I like Tender Rip's arbitrary sample trade. TO edmonton for Yakupov and a first round pick. Guarantees Letang won't come back to bite us in the ass, and it nets us significantly more upside. Maybe Edmonton wants to keep their 2014 first for a crack at Ekblad, which is even better for us. Give us Yakupov and a 2015 first and I would be doing the electric slide for weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad