Confirmed with Link: Kosko Resigned - 3 years @4.5 with NTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It means quite a bit considering he could probably go back overseas and make 3-4M and be at home. If you want to go into next season with no goalies that’s fine. I thing this is one of the smarter things Chia has done given how important goaltending is, and what’s available on the market.

Even if he was able to make 4 mil back in the K ( he wouldnt, but lets assume he did), let him go back lol. This is a decent back up goalie. Laurent Brossoit is a better back up and Jets got him for nothing.

Its like saying we needed to give Anton Belov 4 mil per year because he could make that in the KHL.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I've really grown to like Koskinen. Much like Lucic (who was bar none my favorite player in the league before coming here) This contract is going to bury him.

Both of these guys are in a situation where they were signed by an absolute moron for ridiculous amounts and now have to play over their heads. Koskinen I believe is perfect in a 1A 1B type situation, but I'm not really sure he can play 55+ a year. At 4.5 million, we will likely be picking up a 1-1.5 million dollar backup and Kosko will play 60+, and likely disappoint.

I hope not though, the guy during his hot stretch was one of the only bright spots on this season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What kind of D has he had recently?

If he continues to play well, how much does he make after this year? More than 4.5. Thats for sure

Then we're going to have everybody saying, "FFS CHIA SHOULD HAVE SIGNED HIM EARLIER! WHAT A DOLT!"

I want Chia gone, but I don't hate this one.

Fair, the team in front of him has sucked, but he hasn't been nearly as good since teams are starting to have film on him.

Sure it could turn out to be a good gamble but there is just as much evidence that it won't as there is that it will. Reality is though even if he finished out the season winning 70% of his starts with a save percentage over .920, he still likely wouldn't have got much more than this anyways. Of the 87 goalies currently signed in 2019-20, this is the seventeenth highest cap hit. Are we sure he's even above average yet?

If there is no NMC on this, I can live with it, but do believe it is an overpay.

Reactions: harpoon

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
It means quite a bit considering he could probably go back overseas and make 3-4M and be at home. If you want to go into next season with no goalies that’s fine. I thing this is one of the smarter things Chia has done given how important goaltending is, and what’s available on the market.

You'd think the bolded may actually make you want to have a goalie prove something before handing him the reigns for 3 years.

Goaltending is incredibly important, which is why giving starter money for 3 years to a 30 year old with 30 up and down games is so f***ing dumb.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Even if he was able to make 4 mil back in the K ( he wouldnt, but lets assume he did), let him go back lol. This is a decent back up goalie. Laurent Brossoit is a better back up and Jets got him for nothing.

Its like saying we needed to give Anton Belov 4 mil per year because he could make that in the KHL.

He’s not a backup

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I want Chiarelli gone yesterday but seriously this board!

He could have traded Puljujarvi for Drew Doughty and there would still be haters

Mikki gets the crease the rest of the year.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It's a big f*** you to the city.

You want chairelli gone? f*** you he just signed an extension for our unproven goalie.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Paying an unproven goalie that much for that long with this franchise is not a good idea in the slightest. If he goes home then he goes home. There's a ton of time to figure that out.

He's been crap in January. 2-3-0 with a sv% under .900.

This is madness.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
What in God’s name is going on!?!? How is he able to even manage a paper clip at this point?!

The level of job security is on another level in this organization.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
This contract is going to be hella bad beginning next year. Goalies start declining massively in their early 30s. This is a buyout waiting to happen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

I bet you were extremely happy to see brossoit leave, but hindsight being 20/20 makes everyone feel like they’re smart

Reactions: Peanut Butter

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

He could have traded Puljujarvi for Drew Doughty and there would still be haters

it's a very risky signing to say the least to sign a guy long-term after 27 games

plus this means Chiarelli is still in charge...another scary thought

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Let’s see how he does. Then we can complain like we always do.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Why wouldn’t we compete with KHL prices?

Because they're two different leagues that offer completely different things.

If he wants to be the best, and play the best, he can sign for NHL market price. If he wants to get paid, then f*** off to Russia and enjoy your "oh god I hope this cheque doesn't bounce" salary.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Give him the crease for the rest of the year then, and sign him after what you've seen.

In what world is dishing out 4.5x3 after 27 games, half of them being extremely mediocre, justify any sort of praise?

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
A quick look at Cap Friendly:

AAVs from this season

Raanta 4.25M
Murray (a frigging 2 time CUP WINNER) 3.75M
Markstrom 3.667M
Grubauer 3.333M
Ward 3M
Elliott 2.75M
Halak 2.75M
Neuvirth 2.5M
Khudobin 2.5M
Miller 2M
Kuempfer 1.85M
Lehner 1.5M
Mrazek 1.5M
Kinkaid 1.062M

IN WHAT UNIVERSE IS KOSKINEN WORTH 4.5M x 3 YEARS????????

This was the easiest position to drop some cap baggage from. Now??? They'll have Koskinen (check his save percentage over the last 10 games) and a brutal back up next season.

This is really getting comical.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Paying an unproven goalie that much for that long with this franchise is not a good idea in the slightest. If he goes home then he goes home. There's a ton of time to figure that out.

He's been crap in January. 2-3-0 with a sv% under .900.

This is madness.
Also single handily saved our season play off chances earlier when Talbot couldn’t save a beach ball (still can’t)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Give him the crease for the rest of the year then, and sign him after what you've seen.

In what world is dishing out 4.5x3 after 27 games, half of them being extremely mediocre, justify any sort of praise?

What leverage did Koskinen have other than the KHL?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
0498f25463a0d5de07cf22e768aa2fc2a6fff24494ee9af2d776c4296d13ad2b.jpg

That about summed up my reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad