Confirmed with Link: Kosko Resigned - 3 years @4.5 with NTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
As the games add up Koskinen is showing his true colors. His sv% has been dropping (below .900) for the last 10+ games.
He is a below average starter with some odd fundamentals.

Will he be better moving forward...I doubt it.
It's absolutely appalling that the Oilers hitched their wagon to this player when they did. What was the rush to get him signed? Hell he might've made for an attractive TDL piece. Instead like always they played poker with their cards facing everyone else.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
The Oilers have:

Poor depth fowards
Poor high end defencemen
Average at best goaltending

The first thing I would have done as GM of this team would have been to go into the summer with 4M TOTAL to spend on goaltending. This team isn't going anywhere unless it develops a goalie or two through the draft and Bakersfield. I'd rather spend the cap on defenders and forwards who can score the occassional goal. There was no need to pay a premium for Koskinen.

Varlamov
Kinkaid
Mrakez
Lehner
Howard
Ward
Elliot
Talbot

I doubt that any of the above get more than 4M as UFAs and some of them will likely earn below 2M next year.

There was probably a healthy buyer's market for the likes of Greiss,

Varlamov -> wants 5m+ for sure, isnt worth that
Kinkaid -> with current cap more than 5m too, probably worth it
Mrazek -> 4m max but not worth it. Way too inconsistent and will probably sign at Carolina anyways.
Lehner -> Will probably stay an Islander with the trust he is getting there + Mitch Korn. Also with his mental issues stability will do him good. On open market if he keeps this season going he could command something like 6m+ easily.
Howard -> He's no better than Koskinen or Talbot, and as I can't compare to Koskinen I say that he is inconsistent compared to Talbot.
Ward -> I don't know if you're for real with this, he's a back-up now.
Elliot -> Don't really know much about him so not gonna comment.
Talbot -> Well, having Talbot + Koski both signed for 4.5m wouldn't be that horrible if they can work together like Greiss + Lehner. Its 9m on goalies but thats still on "ok" level to spend on goalies. There are teams that spend more worse or slightly better that its not really warranted to call their situation any better. A quality 1a 1b tandem with Talbot + Koski would be ideal in the long run.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Cam Talbot has 4 wins since Oct 28th.
That doesn’t make this contract for this goalie any better.

You can debate Koskinen is a better goalie than talbot right now. Unfortunately that doesn’t really matter. The bigger issue isn’t that Koskinen may or may not be outplaying talbot. It’s that it is becoming increasingly difficult to argue he’s any sort of a starter going forward. Game by game his stats fall and we get further and further removed from the obviously unsustainable stretch of games he had.

The first contract we signed him to. The 1 year 2.5M one doesn’t even look like a worthwhile deal right now.

The fact that the oilers management thought it was a good idea to not only re-sign this player when they did, but to give him the dollars/term they did is indefensible.

And unfortunately this isn’t even a Chiarelli signing we can point to, this was the people who are currently still in charge who did this deal.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Is this at all significant? Would it make a difference if it was the second or third shot?

It's huge as a player . You come out flying and after the first shift your down 1- nothing??? It's a huge momentum swing and deflating as fook as a player

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Talbot -> Well, having Talbot + Koski both signed for 4.5m wouldn't be that horrible if they can work together like Greiss + Lehner. Its 9m on goalies but thats still on "ok" level to spend on goalies. There are teams that spend more worse or slightly better that its not really warranted to call their situation any better. A quality 1a 1b tandem with Talbot + Koski would be ideal in the long run.

I'm all for this too, provided that the Talbot contract is a year shorter or longer... we need to have an opportunity to audition the best of our prospect G's before too long. (and we need to keep drafting them and let them percolate this next 4 years so that we can eventually have a longer term solution from internal assets.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That doesn’t make this contract for this goalie any better.

You can debate Koskinen is a better goalie than talbot right now. Unfortunately that doesn’t really matter. The bigger issue isn’t that Koskinen may or may not be outplaying talbot. It’s that it is becoming increasingly difficult to argue he’s any sort of a starter going forward. Game by game his stats fall and we get further and further removed from the obviously unsustainable stretch of games he had.

The first contract we signed him to. The 1 year 2.5M one doesn’t even look like a worthwhile deal right now.

The fact that the oilers management thought it was a good idea to not only re-sign this player when they did, but to give him the dollars/term they did is indefensible.

And unfortunately this isn’t even a Chiarelli signing we can point to, this was the people who are currently still in charge who did this deal.
I think this deal shows that the people currently in charge are still a major problem. If they had a ton of cap space next year I could almost stomach this deal, but they must know that every dollar they spend has to be carefully assessed. As you say making this deal when they did was indefensible even if he turns it around.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think this deal shows that the people currently in charge are still a major problem. If they had a ton of cap space next year I could almost stomach this deal, but they must know that every dollar they spend has to be carefully assessed. As you say making this deal when they did was indefensible even if he turns it around.
It was a mistake to sign him to such an expensive deal in the first place. If they cut his price in half...

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kinkaid -> with current cap more than 5m too, probably worth it
Mrazek -> 4m max but not worth it. Way too inconsistent and will probably sign at Carolina anyways.
Lehner -> Will probably stay an Islander with the trust he is getting there + Mitch Korn. Also with his mental issues stability will do him good. On open market if he keeps this season going he could command something like 6m+ easily.
Howard -> He's no better than Koskinen or Talbot, and as I can't compare to Koskinen I say that he is inconsistent compared to Talbot.
Ward -> I don't know if you're for real with this, he's a back-up now.
Elliot -> Don't really know much about him so not gonna comment.
Spending $9M on goalies next year would be terrible. You have pretty much made it impossible to improve the roster or to take advantage of any opportunities. Realistically, given the Oilers cap situation their goal should have been to reduce the amount the spent on goalies next year from this year. Koskinen at $3.5M and McElhenny at $1.7M would have saved the team almost enough cap space to actually have a shot at upgrading one wing spot. You could turn Reider into Dzingle with only a minor add.

Based on his record today who is giving Koskinen more than $3.5M? Maybe someone will but more likely Koskinen would be pressed to get more than what he is making now because there are so many known commodities on the market next year and teams can see that if you guess wrong and over pay a guy to be your back up the cap consequences are severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad