Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Shoot high.

Remember when I was saying this in September and people were saying I was out to lunch and "why am I hating"

I don't know what some people watch. Koski form and fundamentals are flawed. He has trouble sealing posts, sealing angles, its ridiculous how much top net he gives up for a goalie who is as tall as he is. He doesn't do the first sensible thing a big goalie should do, which is make himself big. The trouble with Koski essentially is he's got to this level mostly on being big and having long legs/pads. Basically his pads stretch post to post.

The scouting report of every team is now "Shoot high" on Koskinen. I was calling that at start of season.

2 things. Move shooting angle of attack and/or shoot high. This is a big fish in net that doesn't swim.

On the Schwartz goal last night as well its kind of funny that Koskis positioning is cheating pass instead of being square to the shooter. Look at his upper body position. He's thinking pass, not shot. So he's overthinking it, unconfident in his reads, and gets burned by the shooter, shooting from a bad angle against a big goalie. If he comes out even 1-2 feet there, or is square to the shooter there is nothing to shoot at.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I was high on Kostco but now Inwonder if he’s even backup caliber in this league. I would trade him for a first or early second at the draft at this point.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I read a interview with him yesterday in the Edmonton Sun and he claims he has a good glove hand but has been bad positionally. Seriously? I was never big on Kos but he just dropped another peg in my books

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Remember when I was saying this in September and people were saying I was out to lunch and "why am I hating"

I don't know what some people watch. Koski form and fundamentals are flawed. He has trouble sealing posts, sealing angles, its ridiculous how much top net he gives up for a goalie who is as tall as he is. He doesn't do the first sensible thing a big goalie should do, which is make himself big. The trouble with Koski essentially is he's got to this level mostly on being big and having long legs/pads. Basically his pads stretch post to post.

The scouting report of every team is now "Shoot high" on Koskinen. I was calling that at start of season.

2 things. Move shooting angle of attack and/or shoot high. This is a big fish in net that doesn't swim.

On the Schwartz goal last night as well its kind of funny that Koskis positioning is cheating pass instead of being square to the shooter. Look at his upper body position. He's thinking pass, not shot. So he's overthinking it, unconfident in his reads, and gets burned by the shooter, shooting from a bad angle against a big goalie. If he comes out even 1-2 feet there, or is square to the shooter there is nothing to shoot at.

You definitely called it. What's promising is that those things can be fixed.

You also said Talbot was a bonfied starter who was infinitely better. I think Talbot's passed his prime now unfortunately.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I was high on Kostco but now Inwonder if he’s even backup caliber in this league.

That's a bit harsh, he would be one of the best backups in the league even if he's not exactly what you would call an elite starter. So while he's clearly not good enough to steal wins for a rubbish team like the Oilers, he also has only few really bad performances which is something you would definitely appreciate in a backup. Another thing obviously is that the Oilers are currently not going to have access to a significantly better starter no matter what.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
That's a bit harsh, he would be one of the best backups in the league even if he's not exactly what you would call an elite starter. So while he's clearly not good enough to steal wins for a rubbish team like the Oilers, he also has only few really bad performances which is something you would definitely appreciate in a backup. Another thing obviously is that the Oilers are currently not going to have access to a significantly better starter no matter what.
Backups don’t typically make 4.5 million per year though.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Backups don’t typically make 4.5 million per year though.

At the moment there are only two teams in the league that spend less on goalies than the Oilers, Koskinen getting a Talbot-level deal won't change that much. The fantasy of an elite starter and Koskinen as the backup is near impossible to fulfill. Replacing Koskinen with someone cheaper and quite possibly worse would have been possible but does someone seriously want it?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stats:
The Oilers could have resigned Koskinen on a cheaper deal (4 years @ 4 M). However, as of right now, Koskinen is living up to his contract compared to his peers. In past years, a goaltender with the stat line of 2.76 GAA and a .911 Sv% would be viewed as back up goaltender. Most goaltenders around the league are a having below average seasons due to the equipment changes imposed by the NHL, which has lowered the stat line needed to be viewed as starting goaltender in the NHL.

In the 2017-2018 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .921 Sv% with 35 games played.

In the 2018-2019 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .916 Sv%. If you were to remove the top 5 goaltenders in the league, a starting goaltender averaged a .912 Sv%.
*Note: These stats were calculated by using the top 18 Sv% in the league with 35 games played.

In summary, Koskinen is a starting goaltender on a playoff team this season. He wouldn't be an elite starter, but he would still be a starter. On most teams, he would be competing for the starters job.

Salary:
Currently, the top 18 highest paid goaltender average a cap hit of $6,019,763.78. The next 18 goaltenders average a salary of $3,540,740.68. Koskinen is only going to be making $4,500,000 for the next three seasons, which would make him underpaid as a top 18 goaltender.

People need to calm down about his contract.

Thank you for laying this out. But of course, the Kosko haters will keep singing their song.

Tonight Kosko, played up to “starter quality” yet again and guess why? The oilers weren’t a complete tire fire giving up an insane amount of shots and 5 alarm chances against.

Yes Kosko got blown out the last 2 games, but there is no goalie in the world you can evaluate accurately without looking at the context of the game. The Blues and Knights outskated, outskilled, and out chanced the Oilers and made them look silly. Put 10 Starters that are paid more than Koskinen in the net those games and you’d get similar results.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Thank you for laying this out. But of course, the Kosko haters will keep singing their song.

Tonight Kosko, played up to “starter quality” yet again and guess why? The oilers weren’t a complete tire fire giving up an insane amount of shots and 5 alarm chances against.

Yes Kosko got blown out the last 2 games, but there is no goalie in the world you can evaluate accurately without looking at the context of the game. The Blues and Knights outskated, outskilled, and out chanced the Oilers and made them look silly. Put 10 Starters that are paid more than Koskinen in the net those games and you’d get similar results.
Carey Price got lit up last year when Weber went down and they had Petry as their 1D. How would Price do in an oiler uniform?

Not sure why all the Kosko hate in here. He is probably going to be our best starter since Roloson.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Carey Price got lit up last year when Weber went down and they had Petry as their 1D. How would Price do in an oiler uniform?

Not sure why all the Kosko hate in here. He is probably going to be our best starter since Roloson.

Exactly. Even premier goalies can get lit up if the team around them isn't up to par. Seems like to some, anything short of perfection despite what the team does in front of Kosko is reason to throw Kosko and his contract under the bus, even though his contract isn't even in the Top 20 of all starting goalie salaries in this league. You could even argue his contract isn't even in the top 25, because of when you take Cap Era considerations into it. I think Kosko is paid exactly like he should be, a starting goalie salary for a starting goalie that hasn't 100% proven himself yet. For me, I believe in him and think and have said before that he's the one goalie since Rolo with the ability to single handedly win us games (not that he'll do it every night, but the ability is there).

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. Even premier goalies can get lit up if the team around them isn't up to par. Seems like to some, anything short of perfection despite what the team does in front of Kosko is reason to throw Kosko and his contract under the bus, even though his contract isn't even in the Top 20 of all starting goalie salaries in this league. You could even argue his contract isn't even in the top 25, because of when you take Cap Era considerations into it. I think Kosko is paid exactly like he should be, a starting goalie salary for a starting goalie that hasn't 100% proven himself yet. For me, I believe in him and think and have said before that he's the one goalie since Rolo with the ability to single handedly win us games (not that he'll do it every night, but the ability is there).
The glove hand thing is overblown cause that's a goalies #1 weakness anyways. When you give players the time and space we give them, shooters will find that spot and that goes in most of the time.

It's a lost season people find every minor detail to shit on. They use it to shit on players who wouldn't sign their socks, etc etc

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The glove hand thing is overblown cause that's a goalies #1 weakness anyways. When you give players the time and space we give them, shooters will find that spot and that goes in most of the time.

It's a lost season people find every minor detail to **** on. They use it to **** on players who wouldn't sign their socks, etc etc
Oiler fans arent used to that, since we have no "shooters" on the team besides like 2 players.

It's easy for other goalies to outplay ours when our defense looks like shit, and we have no snipers on offense or threat from the backend.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Oiler fans arent used to that, since we have no "shooters" on the team besides like 2 players.

It's easy for other goalies to outplay ours when our defense looks like ****, and we have no snipers on offense or threat from the backend.

This is true and I have echoed that statement many times on here.

That being said these arent grade A scoring opportunities we are talking about here.
Koskinen is letting in pucks that should be routine saves. Thats a problem.
Sure he bounces back with a couple of good games but the point is that he isnt nearly consistent enough for an NHL starter. The fact that the team is basically stuck with him for another 3 years just compounds the problem.

Reactions: imtheboy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

It's a lost season people find every minor detail to **** on. They use it to **** on players who wouldn't sign their socks, etc etc

Yes. This. We criticize for like the most insane things, of Kosko couldn’t stop an unintended sniper with time and space placing a perfect shot. Or oh Kosko, cant believe he didn’t stop that cross ice pass one timer bullet, he must have lateral issues.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Koskinen has been more good than bad this season. He's stolen way more points than he's been responsible for losing.

He might turn out to be a bargain going forward or a big mistake. Nobody knows for sure but I guess we'll find out over the next couple years.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
A great defence can make a mediocre goalie look good. If you're worried about our goalie, bolster your blue line. The Flames have been doing that for a while now and it appears to be paying off for them.

Reactions: space321

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad