Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The crazy thing is when he first got here his glove hand was dynamite.

Now he can’t stop a beach ball if it’s going high glove
IMO his glove was never dynamite.
If pre season is what you mean by when he first got here, he was awful.
He had that stretch early in the year where he posted good numbers and racked up some wins but it didn’t take the league long to figure out he was going butterfly awfully quick. They started shooting high and low and behold his glove was exposed. His hands are both slow and at 30 he won’t improve. It’s a terrible re-signing, one of many bad contracts this management has handcuffed us with.

Reactions: dawunderboy

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He was pulled 2 of 3 games a short while ago. Fatigue shouldn't be a problem.

This statement is ridiculous.

I have no idea why the Oilers are so insanely terrible at managing their goalies but they very obviously are.

Wasn't it Hitchcock that said you should rest your starter and work your back up regularly to keep everyone working optimally.... wtf happened to that?

How many starts has Stolarz gotten? 1 or none, I can't remember.

How many games and how frequently do they play in the KHL? How often did they play his back up when he was in the KHL?

Answer: He started 29 games out of 56 in the KHL last season. On a great team that limited scoring against with the quality of said chances being lower than the nhl in general.

He has already played 51! This year, and will most likely play EVERY single remaining game. That's f***ing stupid. Moronic of the Oil. No excuses ridiculous.

While I can't sit here and say I'm happy with his contract or his game I do think fatigue is a factor. I also think the glove hand comments are overblown. I also think the comments about his contract being bad are overblown.

Koskinens contract. 3 years (perfect length). 4.5 per year (way too high for a back up but below average for a starter). A limited no trade clause (this is what I hate the most).

While I am not "happy" with Koskinen or his contract at the same time I think everyone should take a step back and realize that...

He is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Talbot. So while he is not as good as I would like he is still a significant upgrade on what we had. If we can get lucky with a cheap and effective backup (Starrett maybe?) next year and actually play said backup regularly we will "almost certainly" have better goaltending overall than we have gotten with Talbot on the team the last 2 years.

Reactions: frag2 and Llamamoto

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I have no idea why the Oilers are so insanely terrible at managing their goalies but they very obviously are.

Wasn't it Hitchcock that said you should rest your starter and work your back up regularly to keep everyone working optimally.... wtf happened to that?

How many games and how frequently do they play in the KHL? How often did they play his back up when he was in the KHL?

Answer: He started 29 games out of 56 in the KHL last season. On a great team that limited scoring against with the quality of said chances being lower than the nhl in general.

He has already played 51! This year, and will most likely play EVERY single remaining game. That's ****ing stupid. Moronic of the Oil. No excuses ridiculous.

While I can't sit here and say I'm happy with his contract or his game I do think fatigue is a factor. I also think the glove hand comments are overblown. I also think the comments about his contract being bad are overblown.

Koskinens contract. 3 years (perfect length). 4.5 per year (way too high for a back up but below average for a starter). A limited no trade clause (this is what I hate the most).

While I am not "happy" with Koskinen or his contract at the same time I think everyone should take a step back and realize that...

He is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Talbot. So while he is not as good as I would like he is still a significant upgrade on what we had
. If we can get lucky with a cheap and effective backup (Starrett maybe?) next year and actually play said backup regularly we will "almost certainly" have better goaltending overall than we have gotten with Talbot on the team the last 2 years.

I agree. This year, even without Sekera, we would've been fairly close, if not in the WC but stupid coaches had to play Talbot. If it weren't for Koskinen, we would be chilling with Ottawa and NJ .

Sure, if we made the playoffs we'd probably get booted in 4 but I'd take that situation over anything the last 1.9 years

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree. This year, even without Sekera, we would've been fairly close, if not in the WC but stupid coaches had to play Talbot. If it weren't for Koskinen, we would be chilling with Ottawa and NJ .

Sure, if we made the playoffs we'd probably get booted in 4 but I'd take that situation over anything the last 1.9 years
Isn't it weird that despite getting rid of Talbot and the defense being healthy we still suck ass?

You talk about Ottawa and NJ and those teams had zero trouble scoring on this goalie.

Reactions: Messrules11

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

He has already played 51! This year, and will most likely play EVERY single remaining game. That's ****ing stupid. Moronic of the Oil. No excuses ridiculous.

He is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Talbot. So while he is not as good as I would like he is still a significant upgrade on what we had. If we can get lucky with a cheap and effective backup (Starrett maybe?) next year and actually play said backup regularly we will "almost certainly" have better goaltending overall than we have gotten with Talbot on the team the last 2 years.

I'm not really understanding this post. NHL starters typically play a lot more games than 51 which you think is being too much for Koskinen.

Nor is Koskinen an ideal starter. He's getting 4.5M and running substandard starter numbers and which are only getting worse as NHL scouting has occurred. Teams are shooting high and goals are going in high, even several from ridiculously bad angles.

Koski has so much junk in his game. He's poor positionally, He doesn't track or have great awareness of where goal posts are. He has trouble sealing goalposts and lets in shortside shots from bad angles. He crouches ridiculously low for someone as tall as he is. For him to be giving up this much top of net is astounding.

Koski appears to get by just on the basis of being big and covering a lot of the net. If opponents stack shots into his pads all night he looks great. if they he faces snipers picking spots he gets exposed. He's been pulled what, 6 times this season.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Not ridiculous at all. How many back to backs has he been faced with? Mostly a schedule with games separated by a day. Not exactly gruelling, and the competition for the most part has not been elite.

He's 31 years old. Do you think he's suddenly going to get used to playing a lot more games? Better hope he has a lot of miles left on him, because at that age, a decline tends to be well on the way for most athletes at this level.
As for saying he is better than Talbot, way to go raising that bar, lol. Talbot sucked ass this year and last, so saying Koskinen is better is an understatement. But is he an upgrade enough to justify a long term high value cap deal? I think those bad goals he keeps letting in are eventually going to kill this team, if and when they become better and situated in a serious playoff push, or God forbid, playoff game.

And the term is a perfect length? For a guy that had played about 20 games as a 31 year old? Talk about a ridiculous statement. I'm actually more concerned about the length that the amount. At least on a one year "proving contract", the pain is only for a year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not really understanding this post. NHL starters typically play a lot more games than 51 which you think is being too much for Koskinen.

Nor is Koskinen an ideal starter. He's getting 4.5M and running substandard starter numbers and which are only getting worse as NHL scouting has occurred. Teams are shooting high and goals are going in high, even several from ridiculously bad angles.

Koski has so much junk in his game. He's poor positionally, He doesn't track or have great awareness of where goal posts are. He has trouble sealing goalposts and lets in shortside shots from bad angles. He crouches ridiculously low for someone as tall as he is. For him to be giving up this much top of net is astounding.

Koski appears to get by just on the basis of being big and covering a lot of the net. If opponents stack shots into his pads all night he looks great. if they he faces snipers picking spots he gets exposed. He's been pulled what, 6 times this season.

I honestly don't have time to answer all that is wrong about your post.

Carry Price gets pulled regularly when he has a bad game. I would like our coach/management team to pull our goalies fast/more often personally. Talbot sunk us in so many games letting in 2 or 3 bad goals early that even standing on his head the rest of the game didn't matter.

Goalies are one of the few that can actually get better post 30.

Koskinen does not get used like other starters with regular breaks and IS just this year getting used to it. First time being an nhl starter...

Half the stuff you describe sounds suspiciously like you are describing Dubnyk during his time here... remember how that turned out.

All the stuff you are saying is exaggeration.

You obviously don't like Koskinen and that's all there is to it for you.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Isn't it weird that despite getting rid of Talbot and the defense being healthy we still suck ass?

You talk about Ottawa and NJ and those teams had zero trouble scoring on this goalie.

The team sucked more ass with Talbot so not sure what's your point.

This team has been shit since forever if you disregard the fluke year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I honestly don't have time to answer all that is wrong about your post.

Carry Price gets pulled regularly when he has a bad game. I would like our coach/management team to pull our goalies fast/more often personally. Talbot sunk us in so many games letting in 2 or 3 bad goals early that even standing on his head the rest of the game didn't matter.

Goalies are one of the few that can actually get better post 30.

Koskinen does not get used like other starters with regular breaks and IS just this year getting used to it. First time being an nhl starter...

Half the stuff you describe sounds suspiciously like you are describing Dubnyk during his time here... remember how that turned out.

All the stuff you are saying is exaggeration.

You obviously don't like Koskinen and that's all there is to it for you.

I don't have particular like or dislike for Koskinen. I don't have faith in Koskinen, and I didn't in Dubs either, tbh, and I wouldn't ride either.

As far as Dubnyk he did resurrect his career in Minny but even now to me, he looks back to being shitty.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The team sucked more ass with Talbot so not sure what's your point.

This team has been **** since forever if you disregard the fluke year.
But they really haven't. They've been just as bad with Koskinen in net. And what's worse is that teams are figuring him out.

This was a disaster of a contract.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I don't have particular like or dislike for Koskinen. I don't have faith in Koskinen, and I didn't in Dubs either, tbh, and I wouldn't ride either.

As far as Dubnyk he did resurrect his career in Minny but even now to me, he looks back to being ****ty.

Amazing how some people turn some criticism of a particular player into a love/hate impression.

e

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

As far as Dubnyk he did resurrect his career in Minny but even now to me, he looks back to being ****ty.

To Stoneman, I think his criticism of Koskinen goes a step past the standard.

To Drivesaitl, I actually agree about Dubnyk.

But I think Koskinen is much better than Dubnyk was for us. Dubnyk was a cross of the worst of Koskinen and Talbot while he was playing for the Oilers.

There isn't a lot out there for goaltenders. The Koskinen from the first half of the season was much better than the second. I really do think fatigue has a part to play in his weaker second half.

Give him some regular/normal rest next year. Maybe he works on his conditioning over the summer. Hopefully he adjusts and has a kick ass year.

As bad as he has been he has also shown extremely well too and anything is a big step up on Talbot.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To Stoneman, I think his criticism of Koskinen goes a step past the standard.

To Drivesaitl, I actually agree about Dubnyk.

But I think Koskinen is much better than Dubnyk was for us. Dubnyk was a cross of the worst of Koskinen and Talbot while he was playing for the Oilers.

There isn't a lot out there for goaltenders. The Koskinen from the first half of the season was much better than the second. I really do think fatigue has a part to play in his weaker second half.

Give him some regular/normal rest next year. Maybe he works on his conditioning over the summer. Hopefully he adjusts and has a kick ass year.

As bad as he has been he has also shown extremely well too and anything is a big step up on Talbot.

Talbot at least had the best goaltending season we've seen since Roloson. (that wasn't even a full season by Roloson) I think Talbot had two good seasons here actually. Its unfortunate we chew up goalies like we do. On a good team I think Talbot would've been good for a handful of seasons. But that boat has sailed. He was really overworked here.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Talbot at least had the best goaltending season we've seen since Roloson. (that wasn't even a full season by Roloson) I think Talbot had two good seasons here actually. Its unfortunate we chew up goalies like we do. On a good team I think Talbot would've been good for a handful of seasons. But that boat has sailed. He was really overworked here.
Agreed. I've seen it with Roloson and Billy Ranford. Eventually, the losing just took it's toll.

Reactions: MikeYEG

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Talbot had somewhere around 1.5 good seasons. But also 1.5 seasons where he wasn't just ok but really really bad. You can't do anything in this league when your goaltender is one of your worst players for 1.5 years.

I miss having a consistently good starter that gets the job done.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Meh, he’s been great and been terrible. Obviously needs more consistency. But the team in front of him is one of the worst we’ve ever had. Take Mcdavid/Drai out of the lineup and there barely AHL caliber. I think with a decent team in front of him he’d be about league average, which would make the contract fair. So I’m going to wait and see what this summer brings for our lineup before I crucify him

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Talbot had somewhere around 1.5 good seasons. But also 1.5 seasons where he wasn't just ok but really really bad. You can't do anything in this league when your goaltender is one of your worst players for 1.5 years.

It’s also no fluke that the year we were playing good, Talbot was in the vezina talk, he rarely had to steal games cause guys were helping him. I’d say price is the only goalie in the world that can go out every night and perform at a high level despite what his team looks like. You put any of the other 29 goalies in our net right now and I’d say you’d still be crying consistency

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The year the Oilers rang up 103 points, Talbot was arguably their MVP. Not only did he face a heavy workload in the amount of games he played, the amount of shots and quality chances were also extremely high. But they rode him all the way to game 7 of the semis. It could be said that if you looked at that season objectively, that it was a house of cards that was destined to be unsustainable. We were unbelievably healthy that year. Looking at the lineup, losing any one of the defencemen for any length of time during the following season was going to kill us. To lose one for the entire year, another one hobbled for most of the year until he was shut down, and the 3rd with back and personal issues was a death knell. Out depth was awful and we got righteously exposed last year and this year. To top it off, the workload for Talbot ramped up even more with the lack of quality in front of him, and he wilted, almost from the start. I think he could certainly have played better, much better in fact. But the grind and the losing eventually got to him. Hopefully Koskinen is up to the task.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

lmao, these posts sure didn't age well.

Koski once again with some of the worst goaltending I've seen in years tonight and gets pulled for the 7th time this season. I think all of the pulls have been this year. Indicative of how lost his game is right now.

He's horrible. Amateurish. There is virtually nothing he does well.

He's absolutely dejected. When he went to the bench it looked like he wanted to go all the way back to the KHL. Except the money is good here.

It took half a season worth of starter work to completely unravel Koski. It took years for it to get to Talbot.

This isn't even a question of how bad Koski is as a starter now. its whether he's an untenable, another buyout.

The Rogers place crowd is absolutely done with Koskinen. Bronx cheers, sarcastic cheer when Tolarz made a glove stop. This isn't going well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad