Player Discussion Koskinen Re-Signed PT2

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Stats:
The Oilers could have resigned Koskinen on a cheaper deal (4 years @ 4 M). However, as of right now, Koskinen is living up to his contract compared to his peers. In past years, a goaltender with the stat line of 2.76 GAA and a .911 Sv% would be viewed as back up goaltender. Most goaltenders around the league are a having below average seasons due to the equipment changes imposed by the NHL, which has lowered the stat line needed to be viewed as starting goaltender in the NHL.

In the 2017-2018 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .921 Sv% with 35 games played.

In the 2018-2019 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .916 Sv%. If you were to remove the top 5 goaltenders in the league, a starting goaltender averaged a .912 Sv%.
*Note: These stats were calculated by using the top 18 Sv% in the league with 35 games played.

In summary, Koskinen is a starting goaltender on a playoff team this season. He wouldn't be an elite starter, but he would still be a starter. On most teams, he would be competing for the starters job.

Salary:
Currently, the top 18 highest paid goaltender average a cap hit of $6,019,763.78. The next 18 goaltenders average a salary of $3,540,740.68. Koskinen is only going to be making $4,500,000 for the next three seasons, which would make him underpaid as a top 18 goaltender.

People need to calm down about his contract.

Last edited:

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
His recent play definitely has me feeling better about his contract. Still definitely a better signing than Talbot in my opinion

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His recent play definitely has me feeling better about his contract. Still definitely a better signing than Talbot in my opinion

Talbot was a good guy and was great for us in '16-17, since then his (and our game) fell apart and he needed a change of scenery and we needed new goalie. If Koskinen can be an average/above average starter and Starrett steps in and challenges him, we are set in goal for awhile.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I for one want him to play well. He's on our team, and I want our team to succeed. I just wish our management team wasn't a bunch of idiots.

It's rich but it's done and he happens to be playing well. It is what it is

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Stats:
The Oilers could have resigned Koskinen on a cheaper deal (4 years @ 4 M). However, as of right now, Koskinen is living up to his contract compared to his peers. In past years, a goaltender with the stat line of 2.76 GAA and a .911 Sv% would be viewed as back up goaltender. Most goaltenders around the league are a having below average seasons due to the equipment changes imposed by the NHL, which has lowered the stat line needed to be viewed as starting goaltender in the NHL.

In the 2017-2018 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .921 Sv% with 35 games played.

In the 2018-2019 season, a starting goaltender averaged a .916 Sv%. If you were to remove the top 5 goaltenders in the league, a starting goaltender averaged a .912 Sv%.
*Note: These stats were calculated by using the top 18 Sv% in the league with 35 games played.

In summary, Koskinen is a starting goaltender on a playoff team this season. He wouldn't be an elite starter, but he would still be a starter. On most teams, he would be competing for the starters job.

Salary:
Currently, the top 18 highest paid goaltender average a cap hit of $6,019,763.78. The next 18 goaltenders average a salary of $3,540,740.68. Koskinen is only going to be making $4,500,000 for the next three seasons, which would make him underpaid as a top 18 goaltender.

People need to calm down about his contract.
His numbers aren’t too bad for his contract but it’s just annoying how Chiarelli and Co signed a guy with less than 30 NHL games experience to that type of contract. Complete bush league. They could have pursued a guy like Griess or another goalie for a much cheaper cap hit and more experience. Whatever though, if Koskinen can be a .915% SV guy and not let in weak goals, I won’t complain about it going forward.

The thing that concerns me with him is how inconsistent he is. Some games he looks very solid and makes game changing saves, some games he shits the bed and gets pulled hella early. Idk if it’s just me but he seems to get pulled a lot compared to the average goaltender. I’d love to be wrong about that

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
His numbers aren’t too bad for his contract but it’s just annoying how Chiarelli and Co signed a guy with less than 30 NHL games experience to that type of contract. Complete bush league. They could have pursued a guy like Griess or another goalie for a much cheaper cap hit and more experience. Whatever though, if Koskinen can be a .915% SV guy and not let in weak goals, I won’t complain about it going forward.

The thing that concerns me with him is how inconsistent he is. Some games he looks very solid and makes game changing saves, some games he ****s the bed and gets pulled hella early. Idk if it’s just me but he seems to get pulled a lot compared to the average goaltender. I’d love to be wrong about that
There seems to be an increase in the amount of goaltenders pulled this season. Goaltenders haven't gotten worse. The smaller equipment has led to an increase in goal scoring.

To be in the top 30 last season in Sv%, a goaltender had to have a .906 Sv%. This season a goaltender has to have a .895 Sv%.

This is probably why it seems like Koskinen gets pulled a lot. Goalies have allowed more goals.

Last edited:

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I mean I'm no math major but those stats seem to suggest that if Koskinen had been given 3 more games in November they could very well be in a playoff spot...

They needed 3 wins to have a playoff spot yesterday afternoon, but would still be out of the playoffs today because Minnesota and Dallas had a game in hand and both won.

The point I was trying to make is there's nothing in the numbers that suggests the Oilers would be in a playoff spot today if Koskinen started more games. Koskinen's best opportunity to earn more starts was in November when he was playing really well. You could argue he could have gotten 3 more starts that month. Two of Talbot's November starts were half of a back-to-back (Talbot & Koskinen were both 0-2 in those games), but in his remaining 3 starts the Oilers only scored 4 times (1-4, 1-4, 2-5), making Koskinen's chance of getting all 6 points pretty slim.

I do think Koskinen is the better goalie of the two, but his stats only look better on the season thanks to one hot streak he didn't sustain. If he'd played that well for the rest of the season, he would have earned more starts and the team might be in a better position today, but he did not.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
There were some ridiculous assertions on here that they were playing Talbot to showcase him for a trade. Not a chance. Hitch wants to win and win badly. They played Talbot because Koskinen was not playing well enough to earn a bunch of starts. He was struggling badly, and simply, did not earn the coaches trust. Talbot was no house on fire, but he was the better of the 2 for that period of time. Once the trade deadline came and Talbot was gone, the net became Koskinen's, for better or for worse.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
Keep in mind that Koskinen is 30, appeared in just 23 and 29 games the previous two seasons, was brought in as a backup expected to have 20-25 appearances, has never had more than 50 appearances in a season, and hasn't been an uncontested #1 goalie since Connor McDavid was an NHL rookie.

Koskinen played 54 games last season including play-offs and international games which all tie into the season in Eurasia.

I do not get the fascination in number of games played when the far most important is the quality goaltending training time Koskinen has benefitted from. His NHL colleagues do not have as much time to hone their craft between games. As that time is heavily regulated in the NHL, unlike the more civilized leagues.

Goaltender of Koskinen's caliber didn't come over to be a back-up. He was clearly in the running to eat Talbot and take his place as the number one goaltender for the Oilers.

And of course he was the number one goaltender for KalPa, Espoo Blues, Sibir and SKA for seven seasons. In Eurasia teams can run two goalies but it is clear that Koskinen was the one they solely relied when play-offs began as his back-up wasn't getting starts anymore.

Is pride, prejudice or racism behind the false narrative created when a player comes from a different world. You would reject this gift?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Koskinen played 54 games last season including play-offs and international games which all tie into the season in Eurasia.

I do not get the fascination in number of games played when the far most important is the quality goaltending training time Koskinen has benefitted from. His NHL colleagues do not have as much time to hone their craft between games. As that time is heavily regulated in the NHL, unlike the more civilized leagues.

Goaltender of Koskinen's caliber didn't come over to be a back-up. He was clearly in the running to eat Talbot and take his place as the number one goaltender for the Oilers.

And of course he was the number one goaltender for KalPa, Espoo Blues, Sibir and SKA for seven seasons. In Eurasia teams can run two goalies but it is clear that Koskinen was the one they solely relied when play-offs began as his back-up wasn't getting starts anymore.

Is pride, prejudice or racism behind the false narrative created when a player comes from a different world. You would reject this gift?

This post is loaded with more rhetoric and unnecessary conflation.

It also engages in the identical thing to which it calls out.

"The more civilized leagues" lol, don't waste time browbeating NHL hockey. Now its uncivilized, haha.
The fact is that 21mths ago Talbot was in the Vezina Trophy conversation. He was playing like one of the best goalies on Earth. Yet something in your post suggests that Koskinen was BETTER than Talbot and the disrespectful comment about Koski coming over to "Eat Talbot".

Talbot is a respected goalie in the NHL, he is now in Philly. Multiple young goalies see him as a mentor in the league and one of the reasons why the Flyers obtained Talbot.

But what we're left with here in your post is an NA goalie, Talbot, is not worthy of any respect, but we're prejudiced here if we don't bow down to the illustrious Gift of Koskinen, From that hockey heartland of Eurasia.

Oh wait, The NHL is the best league on Earth and Canada is the best hockey factory. Apparently this needs stating on an NHL, Canadian board..

ps the latter is tongue and cheek invoking the narrative of the post being responded to. Lets stop waving national or continental flags a bit and tone down the rhetoric shall we?

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I can see how it reads in Europe though. That they need examples of how their leagues compete in the big NHL pond. We see the same dynamic in the CFL. We know we have a grossly inferior league but still wish for players that play in the CFL to go onto do well in the NFL. Better than carrying a clipboard. Sometimes it happens.

So that what goes on is a faction of people cheering on the former player and wishing well. That's fine. But we don't engage a notion that the CFL is great or something because of it and that CFL players are a "Gift" to the NFL. That's a particularly odd viewpoint and one borne of some particular loathing of NA hockey dominance, I would think.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This post is loaded with more rhetoric and unnecessary conflation.

It also engages in the identical thing to which it calls out.

"The more civilized leagues" lol, don't waste time browbeating NHL hockey. Now its uncivilized, haha.
The fact is that 21mths ago Talbot was in the Vezina Trophy conversation. He was playing like one of the best goalies on Earth. Yet something in your post suggests that Koskinen was BETTER than Talbot and the disrespectful comment about Koski coming over to "Eat Talbot".

Talbot is a respected goalie in the NHL, he is now in Philly. Multiple young goalies see him as a mentor in the league and one of the reasons why the Flyers obtained Talbot.

But what we're left with here in your post is an NA goalie, Talbot, is not worthy of any respect, but we're prejudiced here if we don't bow down to the illustrious Gift of Koskinen, From that hockey heartland of Eurasia.

Oh wait, The NHL is the best league on Earth and Canada is the best hockey factory. Apparently this needs stating on an NHL, Canadian board..

ps the latter is tongue and cheek invoking the narrative of the post being responded to. Lets stop waving national or continental flags a bit and tone down the rhetoric shall we?
Who cares how good Talbot was 21 months ago.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Who cares how good Talbot was 21 months ago.

Goalies have good times, bad times, as befits the position. Moreso than any other position goaltending is subject to confidence, being on, on top of your game, etc. Its why goaltending, more than any other position should be evaluated in terms of best possible play, or peak play.

At peak, Talbot demonstrated himself to be one of the best goalies on Earth, and for arguably a few years. He was highly sought after his play with the Rangers and some NHL GM's were upset Sather just dangled Talbot to the oilers. People here sometimes seem to think Talbot was only good for a short time, and bad for a long time.

Yet his career save % is .916. Talbot has been amazingly resilient as a goalie and absorbs workload endlessly. His 85GP performance in 2016-17 was fantastic and also due to what a huge work load it was. His form is impeccable when at the top of his game. He's also been at his peak game multiple times in his NHL career.

This is a goalie that will find his form again if a club decides to give him a chance. I don't think that's in Philly either, I think it would have to occur on a team that does not have their own starters they are actively developing.

I'll give an example. People thought Fleury was done. The Knights didn't think that and have been amply rewarded. Good orgs make moves on good bets. Talbot is such a good bet.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I will ignore the previous posts here for obvious reasons because it is not really on topic.
There are however some issues which have surfaced again and again with regards to Koskinen and trying to set the facts straight is not uncalled for.

- Koskinen was the starter in SKA and considered the best goalie in KHL over the last 3-4 seasons.
To say that he was not the starter and/or was not even the best goalie on his team, is just wrong but it has happened several times here.

- He did not play 23 and 29 games in 16/17-17/18, he played 42 games in 16/17 and 54 in 17/18.
In Europe national team games are weaved into regular season and come the play-offs he played every game after having split time in regular season.

- He didn't come over to be a backup, he came over to prove that he could be a starter in the NHL, this is what he stated himself after signing.
Of course it's a whole other issue if he'll make it though (jury is still out for most except the organisation :laugh:)

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Okay, I'm guessing English might not be your first language by your posting name and some of the grammar. But the bolded is just creepy.

Reactions: McHockeyfan91

Gret99zky

Worst Thread Ever
May 5, 2007
Gamma Quadrant
upload_2019-3-19_22-10-48.png

Oh, my.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->