Confirmed with Link: Komarov 4x3

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Super team guy with lots of heart but as always seems to happen with guys who play that style you break down. THats Leo. Especially after the Ovie hit he never seemed the same.
Lou Lou Lou still living in the past.
Bad deal

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
As stated previously, you sign Komarov for PKing, hitting, grit, character, etc. Leaf fans love Kadri and think the guy is the best defensive forward in the game. Then why is it, Kadri never killed penalties? Even Bozak on the Leafs had killed penalties. Kadri's reputation as a defensive forward comes from giving him one-on-one assignments. Beyond that, the reputation comes from being on the ice with Komarov. There was no better player on Toronto playing positionally then Komarov. And it was amazing when someone else failed to do their job in zone coverage that the blame got shoved onto Komarov. Seriously, a lot of Leaf fans are clueless and just get a player's name in their head and blame them for all their woes. If you're a fan who goes to NHL.com and only looks at the scoring summary, you'll hate him. If you look at stats like: Hits, Blocked Shots, Takeaways, Giveaways, you'll appreciate him.

Speaking of offensive abilities, take into consideration who he played with as well. Kadri doesn't like to, and isn't good at passing the puck. Grabner scores 9 goals basically generated by himself and then goes on to score 27 with the Rangers. Connor Brown is very good at getting into position to score. He had 128 pts in the OHL. Connor McDavid didn't have any problem with him. But Kadri? The guy didn't get a primary assist on one of his winger's goals (he managed a single secondary assist on a Komarov goal) until he was put on a line with Marner where it's almost impossible to not to get points. Afterwards, Komarov is dropped to the fourth line and played with a sulking Tomas Plekanec.

Don't expect offensive numbers from the guy. But he could of produced more with a center with an assist rate better then Matt Martin. Don't let the verbal diarrhea from Leaf fans influence your own evaluations. Give the guy an open book and decide for yourself. Quite honestly, I think there was a conflict of 'systems' happening with Lou in Toronto. Komarov will fit Lou's system quite nicely.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
As stated previously, you sign Komarov for PKing, hitting, grit, character, etc. Leaf fans love Kadri and think the guy is the best defensive forward in the game. Then why is it, Kadri never killed penalties? Even Bozak on the Leafs had killed penalties. Kadri's reputation as a defensive forward comes from giving him one-on-one assignments. Beyond that, the reputation comes from being on the ice with Komarov. There was no better player on Toronto playing positionally then Komarov. And it was amazing when someone else failed to do their job in zone coverage that the blame got shoved onto Komarov. Seriously, a lot of Leaf fans are clueless and just get a player's name in their head and blame them for all their woes. If you're a fan who goes to NHL.com and only looks at the scoring summary, you'll hate him. If you look at stats like: Hits, Blocked Shots, Takeaways, Giveaways, you'll appreciate him.

Speaking of offensive abilities, take into consideration who he played with as well. Kadri doesn't like to, and isn't good at passing the puck. Grabner scores 9 goals basically generated by himself and then goes on to score 27 with the Rangers. Connor Brown is very good at getting into position to score. He had 128 pts in the OHL. Connor McDavid didn't have any problem with him. But Kadri? The guy didn't get a primary assist on one of his winger's goals (he managed a single secondary assist on a Komarov goal) until he was put on a line with Marner where it's almost impossible to not to get points. Afterwards, Komarov is dropped to the fourth line and played with a sulking Tomas Plekanec.

Don't expect offensive numbers from the guy. But he could of produced more with a center with an assist rate better then Matt Martin. Don't let the verbal diarrhea from Leaf fans influence your own evaluations. Give the guy an open book and decide for yourself. Quite honestly, I think there was a conflict of 'systems' happening with Lou in Toronto. Komarov will fit Lou's system quite nicely.

Thank you for taking the time to give that extensive breakdown. Hopefully, he lives up to what you mentioned. Especially, the part about positional play. That was a terrible problem with this team last year.

Reactions: majormet

freewilly

Dec 5, 2017
Komarov is a shell of himself...lou made a mistake here for your team. Leo's grit is always solid, but he has 0 skill or hands or talent

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We will see about this deal. The bottom six is shaping out to be quite physical, I reckon that Trotz had a saying in who we are picking up here. Maybe he sees something in Komarov.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Well there has been a lot of talk that some of us prefers guys with heart and grit over spineless soft primadonnas (Brock?).

Lexa Komarov sure has heart, plays with grit and is good defensively and always gives 100%. I wouldnt mind the player if we didnt have a him already (Clutterbuck) and to have both locked up for four years and way overpaid is not a good place to be.

If we re-sign Brock maybe Komarov can play with him and teach him some defence and real attitude. Yea not expecting that... Leo also was 53% on the dot last year (212 total faceoffs taken). Rather him take faceoffs over Nelson.
It has been reported Komarov has made Kadri in to what he is now, not accepting half-ass defensive effort from him.

Wish Lou wouldnt sign him for that contract, but now that he is an Islander I hope all the best for him and the team.

Welcome Leo.

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
All hail the $10 million fourth line
komarov-cizikas-Clutterbuck

It can only go up when Ladd inevitability plays himself into it.

Back to our 2010 slogan, islanders, we are all 4th liners.

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Quick translation of Komarovs comments from finnish newspaper ( Komarovin NHL-sopimuksen taustalla yksi iso tekijä – ”Oli vähän hässäkkää kentän ulkopuolella” )

He is pleased with the deal, looking forward to change of scenery. Had rough season last year, wanted 4 year deal and thinks its fair. He thinks he can focus better on the future now. Says Islanders is great and traditional team with great players.

He says they have good relationship and mutual trust with Lou. He had some off-ice issues last season and thanks Lou for being good and fair to him. Lou knows what kind of player he is and whats going on in his personal/family life.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Beagle's contract is nuts, and this one is nuttier. Dunno what else to say other than this appears headed for a buyout after two years.

Lethalsniper007

Aug 2, 2005
As a leafs fine I wanted komarov resigned... he had less time on ice last season still a good player.. still can score 15 / 30 assists.. and does everything to win.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I despise this deal so much.

Makes me completely doubt Lou.

Seriously?
The Komarov signing and Tavares walking def. makes this signing look like bad.

But, when you look at it closely -
This is a good a signing that addresses a need on the bottom 6 and especially on the PK.
It is the #1 guy I wanted to address the PK and bottom 6.

This signing is not meant to address scoring.
We have the Cap space and the deal is front heavy, so not a crazy contract to move in the end.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm just so annoyed, I like Komarov.. I like clutterbuck.. I like Cizikas. I think they're the ideal bottom 6 player BUT YOU CAN'T PAY ALL THREE!

I guess cap space won't be an issue for the next little bit so whatever at this point.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
I loved Komarovs tenure as a Leaf but in his last year he really regressed. I think a mixture of the way he plays and injuries caused the turn-around last year. If Uncle Leo heals up and plays like he did in the 2016-2017 season he will quickly become a fan favourite. Don't expect lots of goals from him (hands of stone) but you'll get a guy that shows up to play every game, was well liked in the dressing room and genuinely gives a shit. He gets under a LOT of peoples skin and can throw whole lines off their game. Hope he works out for you Islanders!

Reactions: Isles72

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
IF You look at Leafs last season and the forwards , How many points took leafs when a player playd 17 min and over Toronto has 105 points in 82 games thats 1,28
Hyman 50 games 1,24 points,
Matthews 48 1,10 ,
Kadri 43 1,37
Nylander 43 1,09
Marleau 41 1,15
Marner 30 1,03
Komarov 23 1,65
Bozak 19 1,05
Brown 15 1,73
van Riemsdyk 12 1,00​

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Quick translation of Komarovs comments from finnish newspaper ( Komarovin NHL-sopimuksen taustalla yksi iso tekijä – ”Oli vähän hässäkkää kentän ulkopuolella” )

He is pleased with the deal, looking forward to change of scenery. Had rough season last year, wanted 4 year deal and thinks its fair. He thinks he can focus better on the future now. Says Islanders is great and traditional team with great players.

He says they have good relationship and mutual trust with Lou. He had some off-ice issues last season and thanks Lou for being good and fair to him. Lou knows what kind of player he is and whats going on in his personal/family life.

If the main reason for Komarov's poor play because he hated Toronto.... I'll be his biggest fan.

Prove us all wrong Komarov

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
The issue here.. and maybe for a while down the road is that our Capitan jumping ship sends a very powerful message to the rest of the league.

"Why would I want to play for NYI is their Captain doesn't even want too?"

JT has hurt this team in many ways aside from the on ice product.

Burn in hell.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
To those of you that ever thought or said, "Better if Tavares leaves so we have extra cap space," I don't want to hear you complain for a second about this signed as here's the kind of player that's going to come to a "Tavares-less" team. Enjoy your life.

I only hope this leads to a trade of Nelson. The idea of watching him loaf around after today's news could put me on suicide watch.

yep exactly! every one of the posters who hemmed and hawed about overpaying tavares deserve every minute they see of Thomas Hickey and Leo Komarov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad