Confirmed with Link: Komarov 4x3

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, from what I've read about him, he plays some defense, which automatically makes him different from every other player on our roster right now.

Komarov, in a vacuum, is a decent player. Gritty, very physical, can PK, and isn't devoid of skill. He's your prototypical bottom six guy who can spot-fill in the top six as a defensive, physical guy next to two offensive guys.

The term is just kind of high for a player of his ilk.

Reactions: nyisleslover

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
You know, I haven't even had time to process how annoying the Komarov and Hickey signings are, and probably won't for a while. But what the f*** is Lou doing? These are not promising transactions to begin his tenure.

Reactions: Wanderson and SI90

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
You know, I haven't even had time to process how annoying the Komarov and Hickey signings are, and probably won't for a while. But what the **** is Lou doing? These are not promising transactions to begin his tenure.

Trying to reach the cap floor, probably :laugh:

Reactions: NewYorkIsles

Poliz24

Jun 25, 2012
LI
JT leaves and we still sign bottom 6 players. It sucks losing JT but signing Komarov and players of this elk was just one reason why JT bounced.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Need to keep a Russian vet on the team in case Isles can bring Sorokin over and have a place for him to stay and feel comfortable I think like what they did for Barzal. This is the only reason you can explain the 4 year term. Once Sorokin settles, hopefully he will retire and be part of the coaching staff for the young Russians on this team. If he does not play well, they can always waive/buy him out down the road. He also lived in Finland so may help some of the Fins as well.

Also probably show the youngsters how to PK because he is actually quite good at it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
You know, I haven't even had time to process how annoying the Komarov and Hickey signings are, and probably won't for a while. But what the **** is Lou doing? These are not promising transactions to begin his tenure.
I like both moves as a start. we can agree to disagree, but Hickey as a 5-6 when you have appropriate people 1-4 is just fine. We need a 1-2 badly, and really another 1-2 or 3-4. RE Kom, he can skate, kill penalties, is an agitator. Maybe he was a bit hurt last year as his previous years were solid.

Lou has to now focus on top D, a goalie, and a C. Not an easy task.

Reactions: nyisleslover

embracedbias

Jan 11, 2009
Waterloo
Need to keep a Russian vet on the team in case Isles can bring Sorokin over and have a place for him to stay and feel comfortable I think like what they did for Barzal. This is the only reason you can explain the 4 year term. Once Sorokin settles, hopefully he will retire and be part of the coaching staff for the young Russians on this team. If he does not play well, they can always waive/buy him out down the road. He also lived in Finland so may help some of the Fins as well.

Also probably show the youngsters how to PK because he is actually quite good at it.

Komarov was raised in a Swedish speaking town in Finland, although he was born in Estonia and also speaks Russian.

By all indications, he is a universally liked guy (very quirky personality) who can bridge the gap between players from many countries. Assistant captain for the leafs for some time. Might be a major reason why Lou signed him.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
I like both moves as a start. we can agree to disagree, but Hickey as a 5-6 when you have appropriate people 1-4 is just fine. We need a 1-2 badly, and really another 1-2 or 3-4. RE Kom, he can skate, kill penalties, is an agitator. Maybe he was a bit hurt last year as his previous years were solid.

I appreciate your perspective, I know next to nothing about Komarov and haven't paid attention to him in Isles-Leafs games, but it seems like a same old, same old signing for us when we thought it was a time that we'd be moving in a different direction. And we can do better than Thomas Hickey. I'm pretty sure Garth was ready to let him go.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
This guy is over 30. His goals and points have dropped 3 straight years. Sign em up !!!!! We could have kept Chris Wagner at 1/2 the price and 1/2 the term. He is less tha 50 percent on faceoffs for his career . Just a little over last year . Woop de do. Hate this

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Do not go for any vet G yet, just improve the G in AHL level and C through the next two drafts, with increase chance to land Jack Hughes. This guy is the real deal, as good as Matthews or maybe even better from what I heard. Isles with their worst goalie duo in NHL in a very tough Metro division is almost guarantee that they will finish #31 next season. Even if they luck out on Hughes, they can get a very talented center as 2019 is deep in cetre position unlike 2018 which was strong in D and wing. If Price has a bounce back year, no way Habs will have a better chance at Hugh.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
To put just how terrible a deal this is in perspective: the Sabres just signed Carter Hutton (a competent starting goalie) for $2.75 m a year. Why in God's name did Lou not take the $3 m and solve one of the team's biggest holes? Just incredibly bad.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
To put just how terrible a deal this is in perspective: the Sabres just signed Carter Hutton (a competent starting goalie) for $2.75 m a year. Why in God's name did Lou not take the $3 m and solve one of the team's biggest holes? Just incredibly bad.

Evidently they offered Hutton more and he went to Buffalo instead

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
These are not the signings this team should be making right now. You have to think somewhere in the league there's a player as good or better than Komorov making similar money that we could have traded for and gained a draft pick in the process for taking on cap. Someone like Clutterbuck.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad