Confirmed with Link: Komarov 4x3

Finnislander

Nov 3, 2017
Just found this new 3 piece documentary of Komarov from scandinavian betting site. Check it out if you like. The last part (Osa 3) is from New York. First two (osa 1 & 2) are done earlier in the summer before he signed with us.
Its in finnish but you can add english captions from the video just tap CC.

https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/video/leo-komarov-matka-jatkuu-dokumentti-osa-3/

Not sure if its geoblocked, hope not.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Just found this new 3 piece documentary of Komarov from scandinavian betting site. Check it out if you like. The last part (Osa 3) is from New York. First two (osa 1 & 2) are done earlier in the summer before he signed with us.
Its in finnish but you can add english captions from the video just tap CC.

https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/video/leo-komarov-matka-jatkuu-dokumentti-osa-3/

Not sure if its geoblocked, hope not.
Just watched this today because I've grown to like him more and more, as a fan. For me, he's a likable dude, a good teammate, who happens to be very honest. He's also deadpan funny. The line about his hands was funny, as was the line about being the best at everything he does... except hockey.

Don't know if I'd have focused on some of the negatives (commute), admitted to taking it easier last Summer, or made all the comps, but hey, that's some real stuff. Good for him. Points for honesty.

The video also should put to rest the idea that playing in Brooklyn and practicing on LI is - or ever was - a good long term solution. Elmont absolutely has to work out.... Guys have under 15 minutes of a walk to work in most cities, and our guys have to fight traffic just to get to the rink for a game. Then possibly fight it again home. Maybe fight it again in the a.m. on the drive to the practice rink. When Elmont is ready to go, we can maybe get most of these guys under 30 minutes to get to the rink. That'll be a quality of life hurdle that will be nice to get past. And I know that many of us commute 1+ hour just to get to work [to NOT play hockey], so, yeah, maybe hockey players aren't living the most sympathetic life on LI. But when you compare the options available to these guys, LI is understandably not high on their lists - this according to Art Staple as recently as this week. To me, we need to remove all the obstacles and I believe this ownership seems committed to that. The commute is just a basic one that I think can and has to be tackled.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Term a little long, but I'm glad Komarov's on the team. I firmly believe that he's a big part of changing the culture for the lockerroom/team in general. As is Martin (which we knew what we were getting).

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He's a good leader in the lockeroom and I like him as a solid role player but the contract is too long and he's not better than Fillpula or worth $3 million per.
I can live with the salary over the years and must admit he has turned my opinion of him as a player.

I like having him on the team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His value belies his stats line. Though +17 5 v 5 is significant improvement to last year's negative 5 v 5 stats.

Let's look at it this way. Komarov is only 3 x 3 years after this season. Probably 1 year too long. not truly anything to worry about. I don't think his game will slip much in the next 2 years. He's only played 385 NHL games, not a lot of milage on him. Great team guy, has a re real knack on impacting positively on teammstes.

Reactions: GiveDWrightskates

ArthurNHL

Nov 12, 2017
All the bashing of new guys wanting to join your team to make it better, amazed. Even going at Lou, Trotz, old time Isladers. And no I'm no Islanders fan, just amazed at the reception of change finally.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
His value belies his stats line. Though +17 5 v 5 is significant improvement to last year's negative 5 v 5 stats.

Let's look at it this way. Komarov is only 3 x 3 years after this season. Probably 1 year too long. not truly anything to worry about. I don't think his game will slip much in the next 2 years. He's only played 385 NHL games, not a lot of milage on him. Great team guy, has a re real knack on impacting positively on teammstes.
He was known as a locker room unifier he speaks like seven languages and embraces that role. He’s got 19 points, is +17 and is a very good penalty killer. He has done way more than anyone could have thought on the ice.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I liked this signing back when it was made and still do. Komarov has been a true leader on and off the ice throughout his career and donned the 'A' in Dynamo Moscow (when they won the KHL) and in Toronto.

Mikkel

Aug 9, 2009
He was known as a locker room unifier he speaks like seven languages and embraces that role. He’s got 19 points, is +17 and is a very good penalty killer. He has done way more than anyone could have thought on the ice.
NYI don't have any other players on the current roster who speaks Russian. The only other Swedish-speaker is a UFA. Same with the other Finnish-speaker.

Komarov is a native speaker of all three languages (!), and given the prospect pool that really is an attractive asset - combined with his hockey skills, obviously.

He might have been beneficial as a lineman for Puljujärvi in Edmonton for example. Instead the Oilers might sell low on their #4-pick who suffers from (among other things) lack of English skills.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
He’s been great, I can see why Lou brought him in. My only issue is on a team lacking in scoring he should be a fourth liner not a third liner.
If he were to replace Clutterbuck, and Nelson was the third line left wing, I’d like the lineup a lot better.
I know, there is no current second line center on the roster to push Nelson down and over
Just saying

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I liked this signing back when it was made and still do. Komarov has been a true leader on and off the ice throughout his career and donned the 'A' in Dynamo Moscow (when they won the KHL) and in Toronto.
He even wore the 'C' for Dynamo for the last part of a season, until he took a game misconduct in the first game of the playoffs, and they took it away (but gave him back the 'A').

Reactions: Bronson

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
NYI don't have any other players on the current roster who speaks Russian. The only other Swedish-speaker is a UFA. Same with the other Finnish-speaker.

Komarov is a native speaker of all three languages (!), and given the prospect pool that really is an attractive asset - combined with his hockey skills, obviously.

He might have been beneficial as a lineman for Puljujärvi in Edmonton for example. Instead the Oilers might sell low on their #4-pick who suffers from (among other things) lack of English skills.
Could also be why we have been mentioned as interested as well

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
All the bashing of new guys wanting to join your team to make it better, amazed. Even going at Lou, Trotz, old time Isladers. And no I'm no Islanders fan, just amazed at the reception of change finally.
I'm not sure what you're talking about (as far as the recent posts go). As for earlier disappointment, I think LIers tend to need to warm up to people. He came at a very, very tough time, so to get a positive reception for wanting to join the team - well - I hear ya but this was maybe the toughest offseason to give that a go.

Again, props to Leo. I think he more likely joined the Isles because he trusts Lou and Lou trusts him... not to mention he got a helluva deal.

And what's the deal with Val? That guy is too cool for school, but he too was a really good addition (and at a good price).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm not sure what you're talking about (as far as the recent posts go). As for earlier disappointment, I think LIers tend to need to warm up to people. He came at a very, very tough time, so to get a positive reception for wanting to join the team - well - I hear ya but this was maybe the toughest offseason to give that a go.

Again, props to Leo. I think he more likely joined the Isles because he trusts Lou and Lou trusts him... not to mention he got a helluva deal.

And what's the deal with Val? That guy is too cool for school, but he too was a really good addition (and at a good price).
Leo said he had several offers last summer, and ours wasn't the best, but he likes Lou.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
After watching that doc, my impressions were 1. He's really tired during year one of his contract, and 2. He's a hockey lifer.

Anyone else find it depressing?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So, Mikael Granlund is a friend of Leo's, and he's a UFA after next year. Just throwing that out there since I wanted us to draft him. :)

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
After watching that doc, my impressions were 1. He's really tired during year one of his contract, and 2. He's a hockey lifer.

Anyone else find it depressing?

If I had to guess, he’ll go back to Europe after this contract for a hockey job that is less straining on the body and less travel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad