Prospect Info: Kole Lind, Pt. II | Is not being taken, etcetera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
The dynamic you are missing is there was a small chance of losing these players. Also these players were good enough to play in NHL all season. The mistake might have been that Boeser and Hughes did not play whole year in Nhl, both did not have great university years. Gaudette last deal shows it does not matter if you lose a marginal players year. Burning a year is the right thing to do for obvious star players and it does not matter for marginal players. Hope Lind gets a chance. Gaudette is not a player on a good team, we have a hole in bottom 6 still.

Yes, there is a small chance, but the odds are not good. Out of the 100s of signed contracts, only Vesey, Shultz and Hayes did not sign with their drafted teams. Out of those players, Hayes is the best one.

If a team’s window to compete for the Stanley Cup is in the future, the best bet is to not burn the first year of a rookie’s entry level contract. Unless, it was for a playoff push, where you can maximize value.

For B-level prospects, like Gaudette, I agree burning off a year doesn't matter in the end.

As for Lind, since he's a B-level prospect, it might not matter to burn off a year. Might as well give him a chance.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree this is the ONE season to tank, but than I said that 6 tweets ago, and here we are.

I was one of very few people that absolutely hated the fact that we burned off a contract year for Boeser, Gaudette and Hughes in seasons that we were completely eliminated from the playoffs, just to appease the fans and "have something to look forward to." Burning a contract for 5 or 9 games is a bad cap move. You need to get a full season like Petterson did.

You only burn seasons for a playoff bound team, because it's like getting an extra player for the playoffs. Colorado did that with Makar.

The Canucks also trotted out Markstrom the last couple seasons when they were mathematically eliminated, when they should have played Demko.

I think you're missing the mark on why teams burn a year off the ELC. It's not a concession made to the fans so they have something to look forward to, it's a concession made to the player to establish a good working relationship so that they won't consider holding out and so that they will be more amenable to team friendly contracts in the future.

You can absolutely argue that the team holds enough leverage that they don't need to be making any concessions to their players but I think there's a time and a place for hardball negotiations.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Lind plays heavier and nastier than Gaud. He might be more effective in a bottom six role than Gaud. If the team plays more games this year we should see Lind a lot.

Lind does not play a particularly heavy game in the AHL. Barring some unforeseeable physiological metamorphosis for someone aged 22, he will not be able to play heavy in the NHL; he won't have the strength/balance. If he becomes a full-time NHLer-- against the probabilities-- it will be because his hockey sense and puck skills overcome his skating and physicality issues. And the fact that he is not a PK guy doesn't help his cause.

Reactions: lindgren

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
He was good. Played with energy, helped drive some good offensive pressure shifts, made smart plays with the puck. All round solid game.

Good stuff. That's really all we need from him at this point. He isn't expected to come in here and be a world beater. We can't take the little things for granted, which is actually really depressing to consider, but we need fresh faces and fresh legs to get on the ice and do the little things well.

Reactions: Get North

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s not a stretch to say Lind was one of the most noticeable forwards tonight. For all the right reasons
So far nobody on the post-game show has mentioned that he's eligible for the expansion draft and I doubt Jimbo will devote a spot to protecting him.

So if he plays well down the stretch, the only team interested might be the Kraken.

Reactions: lindgren

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
So far nobody on the post-game show has mentioned that he's eligible for the expansion draft and I doubt Jimbo will devote a spot to protecting him.

So if he plays well down the stretch, the only team interested might be the Kraken.
At this stage I would protect him over JV

Reactions: LordBacon

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I wouldnt protect JV, he has run his course and the only thing that might spark him is a change of scenery.

Reactions: LordBacon

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, there is a small chance, but the odds are not good. Out of the 100s of signed contracts, only Vesey, Shultz and Hayes did not sign with their drafted teams. Out of those players, Hayes is the best one.

If a team’s window to compete for the Stanley Cup is in the future, the best bet is to not burn the first year of a rookie’s entry level contract. Unless, it was for a playoff push, where you can maximize value.

For B-level prospects, like Gaudette, I agree burning off a year doesn't matter in the end.

As for Lind, since he's a B-level prospect, it might not matter to burn off a year. Might as well give him a chance.

There’s also Adam Fox.

I feel there are pros and cons to burning an ELC year that it’s hard to evaluate. However rare offer sheets are it does carry risks and gives the player leverage. There’s also the fact if a player hits some of their performances their cap hit wouldn’t be that far off from their bridge contracts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a kid who hasn't played a competitive hockey game since March 3rd, I thought he looked alright out there.

Won a few puck battles down low and not afraid to shoot from anywhere. He might pick up a few points in the NHL just directing pucks to the net.

Definitely didn't see any problem with his skating....looked to me like he had no problem keeping up.

But the reality is he's another guy who was a scoring machine in junior, but who will have to reinvent himself as a defensive, depth forward to stick in the NHL.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
For a kid who hasn't played a competitive hockey game since March 3rd, I thought he looked alright out there.

Won a few puck battles down low and not afraid to shoot from anywhere. He might pick up a few points in the NHL just directing pucks to the net.

Definitely didn't see any problem with his skating....looked to me like he had no problem keeping up.

But the reality is he's another guy who was a scoring machine in junior, but who will have to reinvent himself as a defensive, depth forward to stick in the NHL.
He's already spent 2+ full AHL seasons in Utica learning the pro game, pro hockey systems. He's been out of junior run and gun hockey for 3 full years.

Obviously he's not Patrice Bergeron, but Lind is making bigger cap hits like Motte/Virtanen expendable. He brings higher offensive upside. His defence was probably better than 80% of our forwards against Toronto, no reason to worry about a rookie until he does something to make you worry.

Reactions: Luckylarry

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
our version of brad marchand. thats how his style reminds me of. pesky forward who can score and agitate top guys minus the dirty antics

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Teams have 2 options,

Protect 7 forwards + 3 dmen + 1 goalie, or protect 8 skaters + 1 goalie.

Horvat
Pettersson
Boeser
Miller
Lind
Gadj
Motte

Hughes
Juolevi
Nate. S

Demko

expose the other bums.

done :)

Jimbo and his crew thinks he has the potential to be an offensive player in the NHL to have had him ranked in the 1st round. I hope he can at least become the player the Canucks project him to be. Hopefully a Riley Smith type of player. If not why rank him as a 1st rounder?

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Horvat
Pettersson
Boeser
Miller
Lind
Gadj
Motte

Hughes
Juolevi
Nate. S

Demko

expose the other bums.

done :)

Jimbo and his crew thinks he has the potential to be an offensive player in the NHL to have had him ranked in the 1st round. I hope he can at least become the player the Canucks project him to be. Hopefully a Riley Smith type of player. If not why rank him as a 1st rounder?

You forgot Myers. :faq:

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Are you sure about that? I hope you are right and Benning doesn’t protect him, but I’m not convinced yet.

It's true. Myers doesn't have a NMC, so he doesn't have to be protected. Also, Hughes is exempt, so that opens another spot on the protected list.

The Canucks are actually in a great spot when it comes to the expansion draft, and SHOULD be looking to take advantage of other teams (similarly to Schmidt this off season) to acquire extra talent for cheap.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Are you sure about that? I hope you are right and Benning doesn’t protect him, but I’m not convinced yet.

in terms of Myers can be exposed? 100% yes. His contract does not have expansion protection.

but in terms of if Benning is willing to protect him? This I'm not sure. I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad