Sportsnet: Klingberg to have Season ending Surgery.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Klingberg is what I call a reputation player. That is the reputation is much different than actual player. Klingberg the last 3 years has been really bad and he's been bad on three different team in that span. He was good, likely got injured at some point ala Seguin, and it drastically reduced his playing ability but because of his previous accomplishments there's always gonna be a GM who think he can have a renaisance with their team.

klinberg in the right spot can help a team...

last year in dallas didn't goes well for sure and like anticipate in Anaheim with a bunch of AHL D, hes struggling. but in Minnesota at the right spot, hr made great thing. he had been healthy scratxh in playoff... yes but when you watch it... gm without klinberg, minnesota lost battle of expected goal at 5v5 on both game, when klinberg was in the line up won it 3 of 4 game.

first 3 game as a leafs ( 3 only game he was healthy). He was fine and did what we expected from him. he helped the transition and bringing a dangerous weapon coming from D. After he get hurt, he was just worst than a 3rd paur AHL D
Brodie has high IQ yes but age seems to have caught up. His body no longer does what his brain wants him to do.

The sport has changed. Unless you're elite like Tavares, Marchand, Kopitar etc, you're not going to be that good at 34 (turning 34*).

Leafs planning for the direction of their D is a total fail.

like tanev who slowed down too...

i think leafs get unlucky with their D because of Muzzin injury. leafs D with and without Muzzin, its not even close of the same quality of team.

Zacman

Dec 14, 2009
I'm not sure I buy it. If it was a lingering issue, how did he pass a medical?

Also, why did it take so long to access if it was something as emphatic as a season-ending hip surgery?
You can't be this...

So you think he's undergoing an unnecessary surgery?

Hard to take you seriously if this is your thought process.

Last edited:

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
klinberg in the right spot can help a team...

last year in dallas didn't goes well for sure and like anticipate in Anaheim with a bunch of AHL D, hes struggling. but in Minnesota at the right spot, hr made great thing. he had been healthy scratxh in playoff... yes but when you watch it... gm without klinberg, minnesota lost battle of expected goal at 5v5 on both game, when klinberg was in the line up won it 3 of 4 game.

first 3 game as a leafs ( 3 only game he was healthy). He was fine and did what we expected from him. he helped the transition and bringing a dangerous weapon coming from D. After he get hurt, he was just worst than a 3rd paur AHL D

like tanev who slowed down too...

i think leafs get unlucky with their D because of Muzzin injury. leafs D with and without Muzzin, its not even close of the same quality of team.
Don't really care for Tanev myself. I want a 2-way D that can make a pass and skate the puck out the zone.

I'm not that lenient when it comes to Muzzin. They had enough time, his severe issues started 2 years ago and we had assets that were ultimately thrown away over the years that could have easily replaced Muzzin. It was obvious our defense drops a tier without him. Couple that with the ages of Brodie, Gio etc...and it's a massive head scratcher in terms of what the plan was.

Reactions: Al14

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm not sure I buy it. If it was a lingering issue, how did he pass a medical?

Also, why did it take so long to access if it was something as emphatic as a season-ending hip surgery?

sure everybody like to have a huge surgery and maybe scrap his futur in NHL in a contract year for absolutly nothing.

Are just serious one moment, just to talk with different dr to evaluate his case and be sure he was taking the best decision for him... and pretty sure he didn't want to stay away of the ice with no guarantee after this season, if you able to think anything else...if hes does what youre thinking he did, its an psychiatric hospital knlinberg need...
Don't really care for Tanev myself. I want a 2-way D that can make a pass and skate the puck out the zone.

I'm not that lenient when it comes to Muzzin. They had enough time, his severe issues started 2 years ago and we had assets that were ultimately thrown away over the years that could have easily replaced Muzzin. It was obvious our defense drops a tier without him. Couple that with the ages of Brodie, Gio etc...and it's a massive head scratcher in terms of what the plan was.

without any guarantee he would be LTIR, to get muzzjn money, he couldn't do anything 2022 summer + last season d group available was pretty trash and was the same at TDL/summer. so the option was pretty weak...

Reactions: Taylor Halls Teeth

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Problem with Muzzin was you have to pay to dump his cap, he wasn’t LTIRetired until this offseason. Maybe they could have pushed him into it a year earlier but anyone we spent picks on to replace him would have to work around his cap hit until he inevitably got injured again.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
IMG_2923.jpeg

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
To misquote George Carlin:

“Think of how stupid the average GM is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

This means there's a good chance Tre can find a sucker out there to fleece in a trade. Maybe give Dallas a call first, after seeing they offered Klingberg 56 million dollars.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I think Tre signed a dud, who was already injured during the time of the signing. Frees up space though.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I think Tre signed a dud, who was already injured during the time of the signing. Frees up space though.
If I read Cap Friendly accurately, we are currently sitting with a 23 man roster, including Martin Jones, and still have about $1.5 million left. Does suggest a lot of flexibility.

Reactions: NMacrules

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Of course... but to turn down that offer, and now basically be a LTIR guy, who likely never plays again... how much money did he end up losing? $45 million so far? I mean that's gotta hurt.
You can see why his play deteriorated after that. I couldn’t imagine carrying on daily life to my best ability knowing I flushed $45m down the drain in guaranteed income. My decision making and nerves would be shot too

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Didn't Klingberg make any money his entire career as an nhler? Why are people so focused on the money he never made? 633 nhl games and he never made a dime?
Perhaps he saved his money and invested it wisely. Do we really want to dwell on this so called "missed opportunity"?
Because regardless how wealthy or poor you are, 50 sheets is still a lot of dough. We’re seeing NBA players with $50m/season contracts invested in the in season tourney where the winning team gets like $500k/player. He signed a 7 year deal at just under $30m then “bet on himself” by turning down 7 years x $8m and had since settled for a 1 x $7m and 1x $4.1. That’s wildly different than $56m

You can see why his play deteriorated along with his health and confidence. I doubt anyone is starting up a go fund me or crying a river, but it’s still a real thing that no doubt has impacted his career performance

Bertuzzi is still meh too.

Samsonov and Kampf weren't necessary, either.

In short, not the best summer. lol
Might as well lump max and his singular goal in there too. Not one move of relevance Brad made has panned out

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Might as well lump max and his singular goal in there too. Not one move of relevance Brad made has panned out
Maybe, I suppose there's still time for him, and Bertuzzi, but yeah I wouldn't have signed either tbh.

Gregor and Lagesson have been good for what they are.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Maybe, I suppose there's still time for him, and Bertuzzi, but yeah I wouldn't have signed either tbh.

Gregor and Lagesson have been good for what they are.
Yeah, even add Gregor to the list as well. I will say that mostly all of the depth guys have been better than expected which is nice to know the organization can still sniff out bargains.
I just question the decision maker making the big decisions. Often a GM will lean on support staff for the bottom end guys and make their stamp with the big ticket items.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
give me Adam Larsson
Yes. 3 years younger than Tanev and more physical. Still might be problematic for the second year in spite of his modest cap hit. He would be very costly if available at all as the Kraken were a 100pt club last season and probably don't see themselves as an actual bottom 10 team. I like him but I don't see him as available.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Pholus

May 23, 2014
you cant start a NHL season with a goalie with 10 NHL game experience as #1 and a martin jones in net...

kampf: since he joined Kampf is #1 for number of defensive faceoff taken amount every player in NHL and #2 for penalty kill time played. the reason why leafd can use as much matthews and jt more in the offensive end because they had a total confidence about kampf defensive and faceoff abilities. Kampf is more important than what a lot of leafs fan thinking about him. if treliving didn't signed him, that would impact the way to use matthews and tavares
The problem with the Kampf signing is that Kampf needs a particular type of winger to maximize his ability. If you give him guys who are good (or better) skaters that can carry the puck and play decent defensively (ex. Engvall, Kerfoot, Mikheyev), than Kampf and those guys can take tough matchups with basically no o-zone starts. Gregor is ok as one winger for Kampf, but I think the other winger needs to be better defensively, and also capable of carrying the puck in order to remake the shutdown line of the last couple seasons.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hard to feel bad for a guy with estimated career earnings of $38,048,418, but you still kind of have to.

If Klingberg had managed to get thay Darnell Nurse type deal before his career went sideways he could have seriously torpedoed a franchise’s contending window (Dallas). But his family would have been set for an extra couple of generations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad