Sportsnet: Klingberg to have Season ending Surgery.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Depends... not all cap hits are the same...

The last 8 million dollar player (Johansen) traded at 50% was traded for the rights to Galchenyuk.

They have space for just over an 8 million dollar player is all I was saying... they can figure out who fits in that range.

The team didn't get worse and now has cap space, it is good for the team.
MacKenzie Weegar come on down, you are the next contestant on the revolving door of Leafs defensemen!

Reactions: Macallan18

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I find it strange to see people celebrating this. He provided offense from the blueline that no one else on the team realistically can, and whoever they get to replace him can't have an AAV that higher than his AAV so finding an offensive defenseman at that salary will be tricky. I am sure the front office is not thrilled with this outcome.

Very unlikely the replacement we go looking for is an offensive defenseman.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Wish him all the best. Hope he recovers well. I wasn't as up in arms about Klingberg signing; I was expecting him to have a bounce back year. Too bad his injuries caught up to him.

Now that we know for sure that the D is not available and now there is this extra capspace potentially....I am in two minds whether Leafs should try to add "D" or just playout the season as is without throwing away draft capital.

I am really not convinced that the so called Core 4 forwards can elevate their game in the playoffs.

Reactions: Cleetus

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Bertuzzi is still meh too.

Samsonov and Kampf weren't necessary, either.

In short, not the best summer. lol

you cant start a NHL season with a goalie with 10 NHL game experience as #1 and a martin jones in net...

kampf: since he joined Kampf is #1 for number of defensive faceoff taken amount every player in NHL and #2 for penalty kill time played. the reason why leafd can use as much matthews and jt more in the offensive end because they had a total confidence about kampf defensive and faceoff abilities. Kampf is more important than what a lot of leafs fan thinking about him. if treliving didn't signed him, that would impact the way to use matthews and tavares

Reactions: LeafEgo and Dr.Funk

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They need a 5 years younger Chris Tanev more than a guy like Karlsson.

leafs need more a hampus lindholm type of D than a tanev even 5 year younger or karlsson

tanev is not a bad d but hes not an upgrape over brodie. leafs need a guy able to stabilize that D, klinberg was not that guy but thosr D nut was 1 of best available overal last season and #2 was unavailable last off-season. hanifin/ forsling/ Pesce could be good target for leafs at TDL/ next off-season or a travis Sanheim could also making sense

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
leafs need more a hampus lindholm type of D than a tanev even 5 year younger or karlsson

tanev is not a bad d but hes not an upgrape over brodie. leafs need a guy able to stabilize that D, klinberg was not that guy but thosr D nut was 1 of best available overal last season and #2 was unavailable last off-season. hanifin/ forsling/ Pesce could be good target for leafs at TDL/ next off-season or a travis Sanheim could also making sense
I specifically didn't say current Tanev, I said Tanev of 5 years ago (or so.)

Prime Tanev is pretty much the perfect guy to play with Rielly at ES.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

Upgrading on Brodie really isn't the objective right now.

It's upgrading on the three AHL players we've had to use and push Timmins back to a 6/7 role after Gio and Lily return.

Reactions: Buds17

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I specifically didn't say current Tanev, I said Tanev of 5 years ago (or so.)

Prime Tanev is pretty much the perfect guy to play with Rielly at ES.

tanev was a good #3 at his best, never be a #2.

and its not a d to play with rielly leafs need, its a playing who can drive his own pair and stabilize the D. A kind to replace what Muzzin did for a lot of years without all injuries part

Upgrading on Brodie really isn't the objective right now.

It's upgrading on the three AHL players we've had to use and push Timmins back to a 6/7 role after Gio and Lily return.

for this season, leafs will need to go with what they can... but they have to find a way to get a #2 to replace Muzzin. Its Muzzin leafs need to replace not brodie

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I am kinda perplexed why people are celebrating this. When this guy was healthy on Dalllas he was an absolute stud. Obviously this season and last season he was hampered by debilitating injuries but I think he was worth the risk. No doubt in my mind a healthy Klingberg would be an asset to our d corps. I hope he gets healthy and rebounds, he is only 31 years old.
Yeah I think many are just relieved because until recently there was no explanation for the why he was worse in TO than in Anaheim last year, just a guy whose game fell off the cliff. They only mentioned after he got sat down that that he had been injured since October 14 when he was a +1 with 3 pts in two games and since then -8 with 2 points in twelve games. I was among the fell off the cliff crowd but as well, he was a weird add given how good Schenn looked with Mo in the playoffs (but did not want Luke at anywhere near 3X 2.75).

Not glad he's injured but now they don't have to pencil in a guy just because he will take a 1 year deal under $5M. It could have been worse, they could be stuck with a healthy Dumba. Of course now they need to pay and I still think they want 1 year under $5M (Tanev time).

Last edited:

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Don't sign them to begin with. That's based on my own preference.

For example, say you trade for Blais (STL) instead of signing Bertuzzi with NMC no less. Let Kampf walk, use Holmberg, or find another 4th C for $1m or less.

Trade Sam before Arb, get a 2nd rounder if you can, or perhaps include him in as part of a bigger deal.

Except, as it turns out he wasn't healthy.
I wish you were around during the Larry Murphy days:

"TOR should have never signed him to begin with!"

Later it was:

"TOR should have never traded him!"

I watched Holmberg in the last 2 Marlies games I attended. You want to stand behind Holmberg and Blais as a better solution to Bertuzzi, Samsonov, Klingberg, and Kampf? Forgive me if I don't support that.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

I would argue Tanev is a big upgrade over Brodie. Brodie was close when they were younger because he had more offense but that is gone now. Very hard player to play against even though he isn't a big hitter. And definitely better in his own end than Hanifin who will cost more and plays left side which they don't need.

1 year, and under $5M is the yardstick and that is kind of what you get unless they shock us and move one of the big 3. You have to admit it will feel better starting Tanev instead of Klinger right? They just don't have the room to add a true upgrade that isn't a rental.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I would argue Tanev is a big upgrade over Brodie. Brodie was close when they were younger because he had more offense but that is gone now. Very hard player to play against even though he isn't a big hitter. And definitely better in his own end than Hanifin who will cost more and plays left side which they don't need.

1 year, and under $5M is the yardstick and that is kind of what you get unless they shock us and move one of the big 3. You have to admit it will feel better starting Tanev instead of Klinger right? They just don't have the room to add a true upgrade that isn't a rental.

brodie last season was one of best d defenside side of the puck amount all d in NHL. This season, i think some fan just really underrate what hes doing to compensate all injuries in the line up. Tanev will do absolutly nothing more than what brodie actually doing, he would maybe help brodie to split defensive mission and bring a secondary weapon but thats it. when your thinking than the greass are greener at your neighboor... thats whats its looking like... and no brodie is not a big hitter but a great hockey IQ. most of the time, big hitter hit to hide some weakness on his hockey IQ and didn't read the play pretty well. yes brodie slowed down at 34 but also the case with Tanev.

for tanev over klinberg, depend what your need is... tanev will not hslp on transition who was a huge weakness last post-season. yes he would help to raise pk and play defensive but with a lack of transition, leafs d will struggling again. so if tanev is the only move leafs making at D, i dont consider leafs as contender this season, simple as that. they need someone who can play both side of the ice.

ps leafs can trade for a rental with intention to resign him long term.

Reactions: kb

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I am kinda perplexed why people are celebrating this. When this guy was healthy on Dalllas he was an absolute stud. Obviously this season and last season he was hampered by debilitating injuries but I think he was worth the risk. No doubt in my mind a healthy Klingberg would be an asset to our d corps. I hope he gets healthy and rebounds, he is only 31 years old.

Klingberg is what I call a reputation player. That is the reputation is much different than actual player. Klingberg the last 3 years has been really bad and he's been bad on three different team in that span. He was good, likely got injured at some point ala Seguin, and it drastically reduced his playing ability but because of his previous accomplishments there's always gonna be a GM who think he can have a renaisance with their team.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Luck finally on our side?

People don't like a signing -- LTIR bail out.

It's enough cap (relative to not wanting berg at all) for deadline purposes due to retention being cheap now

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I feel bad for MTL fans who thought we were going to have to pay a 1st round pick to unload Klingberg to free up cap space at the TDL.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
brodie last season was one of best d defenside side of the puck amount all d in NHL. This season, i think some fan just really underrate what hes doing to compensate all injuries in the line up. Tanev will do absolutly nothing more than what brodie actually doing, he would maybe help brodie to split defensive mission and bring a secondary weapon but thats it. when your thinking than the greass are greener at your neighboor... thats whats its looking like... and no brodie is not a big hitter but a great hockey IQ. most of the time, big hitter hit to hide some weakness on his hockey IQ and didn't read the play pretty well. yes brodie slowed down at 34 but also the case with Tanev.

for tanev over klinberg, depend what your need is... tanev will not hslp on transition who was a huge weakness last post-season. yes he would help to raise pk and play defensive but with a lack of transition, leafs d will struggling again. so if tanev is the only move leafs making at D, i dont consider leafs as contender this season, simple as that. they need someone who can play both side of the ice.

ps leafs can trade for a rental with intention to resign him long term.
Brodie has high IQ yes but age seems to have caught up. His body no longer does what his brain wants him to do.

The sport has changed. Unless you're elite like Tavares, Marchand, Kopitar etc, you're not going to be that good at 34 (turning 34*).

Leafs planning for the direction of their D is a total fail.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Klingberg is what I call a reputation player. That is the reputation is much different than actual player. Klingberg the last 3 years has been really bad and he's been bad on three different team in that span. He was good, likely got injured at some point ala Seguin, and it drastically reduced his playing ability but because of his previous accomplishments there's always gonna be a GM who think he can have a renaisance with their team.
We could have re-signed a similar player in Erik Gustafsson who we acquired at the last TDL. He got a near league min deal with NYR. We could of then used that $4m on something else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad