Sportsnet: Klingberg to have Season ending Surgery.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Bertuzzi is still meh too.

Samsonov and Kampf weren't necessary, either.

In short, not the best summer. lol

If you look at most of the pieces in a vacuum they’re not bad (Bertuzzi, Domi, Kampf) but they make no sense together. Bert needs to be sheltered, Domi needs to be sheltered, Reaves needs to be sheltered (in the AHL), Klingberg needs to be sheltered. None of the above PK and we don’t have open slots on PP1. If lines 2 and 3 need to be sheltered with Bert and Domi, you better have a 4th line that can handle 12-15 hardcore shutdown minutes every night and PK options outside that 4th line.

Instead he builds a 4th line with no identity that is a defensive risk against other 4th lines, let alone top units we’re trying to hide the middle-6 from. The first line now has to play those match-up minutes at ES and both special teams to cover the lack of utility the middle-6 now has on a team that already counts on them for the lions share of the scoring. A top-6 injury screws us worse than it would in any other year because there’s no forward PK replacement options behind them unless you want to throw rookies at the problem. Maybe that’s fine in November but you better hope everyone’s 100% healthy in April.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Currently tied for 2nd on the team in points from the blueliners...for whatever that may be worth.

and the guy played 3 game healthy without that injury who forced him to finally have a surgery. 3 game where he got 3 points but majority just judge him about his 11 game where he played hurt where he wasn't able to move his body like he wanted... for a d its a disaster.

Reactions: Buds17

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, at least we get some cap space back and he won't be hurting the team by playing...

Hopefully the next choice is better.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The part of Klingberg I didn't like was his decision making and Don't Give a Crap attitude on flying the zone and leaving guys open.
He could have perfect hips and I would not like his game.

and

Someone would have to earn a decent salary of $100,000 a year for 380 years to match Klingberg's career earning totals.

I would love to have earned $38 million and be retired at 31 years old.
No need to feel sorry for anyone here.
No one feels sorry for him, but people on HF keep mentioning a big contract he turned down.

I mean do feel for anyone who has to stop playing the game they love. It's never easy to end things even as an amateur.

Bertuzzi is still meh too.

Samsonov and Kampf weren't necessary, either.

In short, not the best summer. lol
OK. So since you're smarter than most GMs how are you going to fix it? So who are you getting in return for Bertuzzi, Kampf, and Samsonov?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
No one feels sorry for him, but people on HF keep mentioning a big contract he turned down.

I mean do feel for anyone who has to stop playing the game they love. It's never easy to end things even as an amateur.
Not true, that is why I posted.
Numerous people over numerous threads including this one have said they feel sorry for him.
that is anyone's prerogative, but I do not share the same view.

When I grow up i would love to be Klingberg :)

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Maybe, but I still have the image/reel of him doing his blueline walking move against Nashville, where his hip looked fine.

It also seems sketchy that he was a "healthy" scratch, then came back into the line-up.
None of that seems sketchy. Most "healthy" scratches get back into the line up.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I find it strange to see people celebrating this. He provided offense from the blueline that no one else on the team realistically can, and whoever they get to replace him can't have an AAV that higher than his AAV so finding an offensive defenseman at that salary will be tricky. I am sure the front office is not thrilled with this outcome.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Says a lot about the state of the NHL where we celebrate someone who has trouble walking getting season, maybe even career, ending surgery.

Thanks Gary
I’ll ask again

Isn’t there a physical done before contract is signed? I know in other sports there is

How was this issue not a thing?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
OK. So since you're smarter than most GMs how are you going to fix it? So who are you getting in return for Bertuzzi, Kampf, and Samsonov?
Don't sign them to begin with. That's based on my own preference.

For example, say you trade for Blais (STL) instead of signing Bertuzzi with NMC no less. Let Kampf walk, use Holmberg, or find another 4th C for $1m or less.

Trade Sam before Arb, get a 2nd rounder if you can, or perhaps include him in as part of a bigger deal.

None of that seems sketchy. Most "healthy" scratches get back into the line up.
Except, as it turns out he wasn't healthy.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I am kinda perplexed why people are celebrating this. When this guy was healthy on Dalllas he was an absolute stud. Obviously this season and last season he was hampered by debilitating injuries but I think he was worth the risk. No doubt in my mind a healthy Klingberg would be an asset to our d corps. I hope he gets healthy and rebounds, he is only 31 years old.

Reactions: bax and SwissLeaf

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I find it strange to see people celebrating this. He provided offense from the blueline that no one else on the team realistically can, and whoever they get to replace him can't have an AAV that higher than his AAV so finding an offensive defenseman at that salary will be tricky. I am sure the front office is not thrilled with this outcome.

He was hurting the team 5v5 and Rielly is better on the PP.

Was a bad signing and this is a win for the team.

I am sure the front office is thrilled with this, they'd be more thrilled if he was the same player he was 4 years ago, but he's not, so they are likely very happy.

Any player with a salary of 8 million or less who teams are willing to take 50% retention on is able to fit under the cap... this space will help a lot if they want to make some upgrades.

Mar 26, 2010
Robidas island is a popular destination for bad Leafs contracts.

I guess we can expect a trade coming now.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I’ll ask again

Isn’t there a physical done before contract is signed? I know in other sports there is

You think team doctors are flying out to cottages and golf courses around the world on July 1st to meet with potential free agent signings?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Don't sign them to begin with. That's based on my own preference.

For example, say you trade for Blais (STL) instead of signing Bertuzzi with NMC no less. Let Kampf walk, use Holmberg, or find another 4th C for $1m or less.

Trade Sam before Arb, get a 2nd rounder if you can, or perhaps include him in as part of a bigger deal.

Except, as it turns out he wasn't healthy.
Yes, an injured player can be a "healthy" scratch if it is believed at the time he was managing his persistent hip problems. This is not the first time he has had injury on his hips.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He was hurting the team 5v5 and Rielly is better on the PP.

Was a bad signing and this is a win for the team.

I am sure the front office is thrilled with this, they'd be more thrilled if he was the same player he was 4 years ago, but he's not, so they are likely very happy.

Any player with a salary of 8 million or less who teams are willing to take 50% retention on is able to fit under the cap... this space will help a lot if they want to make some upgrades.
The cost to acquire an $8 million player with 50% retention is going to be steep...

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
I’ll ask again

Players who are often injured, Ala Joffrey Lupul do go through physicals before a new contract is finalized. Klingberg didn't fit that bill. Players also have assessments done at the end of each season, and that is how teams determine if a player is healthy or not at free agency.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The cost to acquire an $8 million player with 50% retention is going to be steep...

Depends... not all cap hits are the same...

The last 8 million dollar player (Johansen) traded at 50% was traded for the rights to Galchenyuk.

They have space for just over an 8 million dollar player is all I was saying... they can figure out who fits in that range.

The team didn't get worse and now has cap space, it is good for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad