Sportsnet: Klingberg to have Season ending Surgery.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Maybe, but I still have the image/reel of him doing his blueline walking move against Nashville, where his hip looked fine.

It also seems sketchy that he was a "healthy" scratch, then came back into the line-up.

He also looked awful skating compared to how he was able to skate in previous years.

They are not faking some sort of surgery here and Klingberg openly admitted it's been an issue for awhile for him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
This team needs more skill/offence/ability from the backend for sure. Liljegren would probably be 2nd in points if he wasn't injured. I suspect Timmins will rise in the offense rank as well.
Definitely a stat that needs to be taken with a shaker of salt given all of the injuries on the blueline thus far.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Klingberg being injured does kind of make sense. I thought he'd be a weakness in a playoff game, but I thought he'd be a reason we got to the playoffs in the first place coming into the season. He was a big reason they were losing early in the season.

Unfortunate because the Leafs lose what was supposed to be an important player early, but he is addition by subtraction at this point. Between him going on LTIR for the season and Reaves turning into an every other game player they should be alright.

Reaves will take over for Clifford on the Marlies next season.

Reactions: Tairy Greene and kb

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He also looked awful skating compared to how he was able to skate in previous years.

They are not faking some sort of surgery here and Klingberg openly admitted it's been an issue for awhile for him.
Well, it makes it an even more questionable signing. But for Klingberg as well, he should've got this surgery in the off-season then.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Of course... but to turn down that offer, and now basically be a LTIR guy, who likely never plays again... how much money did he end up losing? $45 million so far? I mean that's gotta hurt.
I guess it was the '...and now we find out' part that made it seem like this was breaking news.

Yes, he cost himself a bunch of money.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Didn't Klingberg make any money his entire career as an nhler? Why are people so focused on the money he never made? 633 nhl games and he never made a dime?
Perhaps he saved his money and invested it wisely. Do we really want to dwell on this so called "missed opportunity"?

Reactions: Lauro

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Didn't Klingberg make any money his entire career as an nhler? Why are people so focused on the money he never made? 633 nhl games and he never made a dime?
Perhaps he saved his money and invested it wisely. Do we really want to dwell on this so called "missed opportunity"?
He'll be ok
1701891349434.png

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
He likely made more this year alone than I will in my lifetime. I hope he doesn't dwell too much on lost earnings.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I'm not sure I buy it. If it was a lingering issue, how did he pass a medical?

Also, why did it take so long to access if it was something as emphatic as a season-ending hip surgery?
I'm guess part of the reason it took so long was that the NHL was investigating things. They take these things very seriously.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Can a capologist help me out. If we trade for a guy with an 8 mil contract at the 40 game mark, meaning he’s still owed 4 (around Klingberg), we don’t have that cap “room” right?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Somethign does not fit for me, they said its been an issue for a long time, did he have it before we signed him? If so do we not have players do physicals before we sign them? Seems like a really odd story.

This team needs more skill/offence/ability from the backend for sure. Liljegren would probably be 2nd in points if he wasn't injured. I suspect Timmins will rise in the offense rank as well.

Timmins always seems to be involved in driving offence.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can a capologist help me out. If we trade for a guy with an 8 mil contract at the 40 game mark, meaning he’s still owed 4 (around Klingberg), we don’t have that cap “room” right?
I don’t believe so.

How close to the Cap were the Leafs when they started LTIR? If memory serves, whatever their cap was after ltir that’s their limit for the year. Last year they were within a few dollars, right behind Vancouver.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You only accumulate space for deadline contracts like that for every day you’re not “over” the cap via LTIR, we’ve been over since day 1 so 8 mil is 8 mil I believe.

Reactions: DarkKnight

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
The part of Klingberg I didn't like was his decision making and Don't Give a Crap attitude on flying the zone and leaving guys open.
He could have perfect hips and I would not like his game.

and

Someone would have to earn a decent salary of $100,000 a year for 380 years to match Klingberg's career earning totals.

I would love to have earned $38 million and be retired at 31 years old.
No need to feel sorry for anyone here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad