Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That Klefbom had to be seriously convinced to enter the bubble for the playoffs. He was very hesitant to come back. He may be contemplating more than just surgery. Taking a step back and evaluating everything.
He sure didn’t play like he wanted to be there. I’ve been ready to move on from this guy for years. There’s always some kind of uncertainty about him.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Gazzola went back on 1260 on Gregor's show:

"This is interesting. He's had several shoulder procedures done. Klefbom had a quote in Spec's article today that he didn't want to come back at 75%, he wanted to be at 100%. He's very thoughtful. We heard he's weighing his options. Does he want to go through another surgery? How does he want to go about this? What's the easiest route? Dusty and I had heard it wasn't an easy decision for him to come back to for return-to-play. I'm sure we're going to hear more from the agent and the team but it's tough when a lot of injuries pile up for a young player, there's been some rumblings behind the scenes in terms of Klefbom and what's going to happen with him going forward."

Klefbom injury puts desperate spin on Oilers' upcoming draft, free agency - Sportsnet.ca

This is Spec's article on it today, speculating Klefbom could miss the entire season.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Gazzola went back on 1260 on Gregor's show:

"This is interesting. He's had several shoulder procedures done. Klefbom had a quote in Spec's article today that he didn't want to come back at 75%, he wanted to be at 100%. He's very thoughtful. We heard he's weighing his options. Does he want to go through another surgery? How does he want to go about this? What's the easiest route? Dusty and I had heard it wasn't an easy decision for him to come back to for return-to-play. I'm sure we're going to hear more from the agent and the team but it's tough when a lot of injuries pile up for a young player, there's been some rumblings behind the scenes in terms of Klefbom and what's going to happen with him going forward."

If there's any way he's leaning to at least a year off, this actually makes it easier for how to plan for this season financially than the uncertainty of when he'd be healthy. If he's out the full year you can actually use his salary for LTIR.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So wait, Klefdumb (sorry, needs to be said) is "weighing options" on whether to have surgery at a time where the pandemic pretty much closed down the game and wherein he will have played 4 games in the span of what could be almost a year. jebus h christ, if ever there was a time to get in an operating room and get the surgery done...

This guy man, so frustrating.

The Oilers have been out now for months, why are we hearing this now? Why is he first thinking about this now? Or why is he still "weighing this" now.

Seems to me the time to think long and hard about this passed 2mths ago.
Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

And why are we hearing this at all? He doesn't owe this to anyone to tell them he's been either rehabbing his shoulder or thinking about surgery.

Reactions: TB12

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't think this is as bad as people are saying. This isn't an injury. It's an elective surgery, and those usually result in the player being better than ever. So, if you thought Klefbom hasn't been playing up to his 2017 level (which he hasn't been) then this is a good thing.

We are definitely deep enough to live without Klef for a while. Imo Jones would be solid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't think this is as bad as people are saying. This isn't an injury. It's an elective surgery, and those usually result in the player being better than ever. So, if you thought Klefbom hasn't been playing up to his 2017 level (which he hasn't been) then this is a good thing.

We are definitely deep enough to live without Klef for a while. Imo Jones would be solid.
Probably a surgery to help with pain or some sort.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Looks like Holland knew what he was doing when drafting D-man Broberg.

Oiler D-men = too fragile or too inconsistent-just can't get it done with these guys.

It will still take time but Bouchard, Samorukov and Broberg will have to join Bear and Jones to form the new nucleus.

Lets hope Mc-D doesn't get old and slow waiting for this.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
In the future yes, but broberg still has a ways to go. I think he definitely makes the top 6 though.

If he does play in the top 4, that's a good problem for the oilers to have.
Broberg needs to play an NHL game before anointing him better

If Broberg keeps up his play, he'll basically be coming to camp right after a dominant draft+2 season.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a solid second pairing guy(and better than Jones who I think gets a little overrated by his numbers against Benning levels of sheltered competition) by then.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Really feel for Klefbom, just one of those guys who is always dealing with injuries. He's missed so much time already, it's a shame.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Broberg keeps up his play, he'll basically be coming to camp right after a dominant draft+2 season.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a solid second pairing guy(and better than Jones who I think gets a little overrated by his numbers against Benning levels of sheltered competition) by then.
Are you one of those guys who had Samourkov inked into Oilers top 4 ahead of Nurse for 2019-2020 season?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We're talking about a top 10 pick with two post-draft seasons playing against men.

A bit different, I'd say.
Not really. That CGY exhibition game should be an indication. The guy still needs to learn the NA game and will need a year and a half of AHL time before becoming NHL regular. Top 4 is wishful.
Broberg has the skillset but will not be able to handle NHL powerforwards.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Putting Broberg immediately in the Top 4 would be classic Oilers
Thankfully Holland is smarter than that

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Lol, we aren't deep enough to live without Jones, for crying out loud. Not that Klef is any great shakes, but he is a veteran NHL defenceman.

Not a big surprise that he's hurt again and will need more surgery. We need to move on from him when the chance presents itself. This has gone on far too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad